Author Topic: FNV: The Mod(s)  (Read 10287 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: FNV: The Mod(s)
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 02:02:31 AM »
So I got to messing around with some of my old X race presets in the GECK...

...and added accessories...

But soon afterwards, I ran into a Ghoul-wannabe who reminded me that I am mortal.

And I found a new outfit.
It's the Gunslinger outfit by Ginger9, who just recently threw in a female mesh too. Great armor. I have no desire to change it. That's a good thing, if you were wondering.

I also integrated the Sideburns Pack for the X race...I think it'll show up for every other race, too.  :realconfused:
Gunslinger or Village Person? It depends on what Perks you take.

I wish I could get a more...tame...handlebar 'stache, but this will do just fine.
He's right. We're standing in horse neers.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »
Messed with the Courier shirt a bit...

Maybe an Opeth version, too...

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 04:12:39 AM »
The newest version of the Readius works, so I'm using that right now. Takes some getting used to, really...

Purple shades.

Transparent:

Opaque:

Looking into more colors, etc.

EDIT: Thought I'd throw in a couple of the ongoing Inkageddon I'm foisting on my hapless character.

(Even though she is "wearing" a sorta-bikini, I censored the parts and hair peeking out. I usually have her in a more modest set of undies -- the Type 3 body, except with vanilla-style underwear -- but then I'd have to describe the tats.)

Full-body:

I'm not too sure about the leg tat yet; I'm thinking of getting rid of the black parts.

Front, close:

Note the Opeth tat...might as well throw that in there. And as an encore from the Khovian skin, the Chinese "dragon"...below and between her backup dancers.

I've tried some boob tats, but they looked odd. The body types stretch things out, and...yoiks. If only someone could port the HGEC EBE body -- with the superior skeleton! -- to this game. For example:

and

Note the better shoulders and arms...and so on. But moving forwards...

Back, close:

As you can tell, these have been pulled from various sources. There's no rhyme or reason to it, just throwing it all on the skin and seeing how it all comes out. I have a couple of ideas for her left leg.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:47:11 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 09:08:05 PM »
I was tired of the narrow selection of hair that I had...I didn't even like most of them to begin with, honestly. So I went looking, and found a few. After weeding out the duds and the travesties, I settled on perhaps ten or more new hairstyles. Some of them I had to edit in NifSkope, but that's okay. I'm used to that sort of thing by now.

I also found the old sunglasses mod for FO3, and added the Ozzy-style round glasses. One style I tried out, but it would just not cooperate...that one didn't work for me back when I was putting together the FO3 mod, dunno why I thought it would work now. ::)

Anyway. There was also a nose ring in that mod. Much like my feeling towards excessive tattooing, I've never been a fan of body piercing -- all I can think of when I meet someone with a nose ring is blood, pain, and snot -- but it seems appropriate to the setting, somehow.

Then I got to thinking: I really never made an effort to mess with the Combat Armor. So I did.

It's not exactly where I want it yet -- I think I'll make the belt pouches shiny like the gloves and the armored parts less shiny -- but it's close. (Concept: total blackout, low-q red "dragon" on chest. Summary: dream achieved! 20 points!) I used the Anchorage snow combat armor mesh (because of the sleeves, baby), and by all that's happy in the breeze, I found that exeter feminized it a while back to match up with the Type 3 body. Hooray! He also did the same to the Samurai armor... :bouncyred:  <------------- (Rarely get to use those.)

While I was looking at that, I saw that Shiloh DS - Desert Succubus Custom Race and Textures had just been uploaded. I sifted through all the options, and cobbled together something a little different.

I'm different.

For some reason I'm enamored with the mole. Maybe it's my Cindy Crawford thing that I thought was long-dead.

More with the new armor:

With one of the new hairs:

New hair AND pink shades:

The only problem is that I need to go back and adjust the face tones now; you can tell from the shots that her face is now sorta patchwork. Tweak the lips a bit...good grief, whatever possessed those chuckleheads to include *beard* tones for the female facegen??

EDIT: Yup. The lips were set too dark, because the old texture I used when I made the face had plain-colored lips. So a few slider tweaks here and there...

Much better. Maybe now I can sleep tonight.

EDITED YET AGAIN:

Improved the armor, probably.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:12:53 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline bobdog

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 06:54:44 AM »
I bet if you posted your nude tattoo base models in the Cabal section of the forums, we'd have hundreds of posters trying to get their postcount up to 100 to see them....  :smoking:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »
And then they could laugh at the high comedy of Starfox digitally kicking my ass for posting nude pics.  ;D   All around, a good day for everyone. Except for me...then again, I thrive on misery, so yeah... :ok:

~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`

Some more changes. I was not too happy with the heavy eyeshadow -- even the unmade-up face had heavy gray eyeshadow -- and the skin just seemed too...smoth. No texture, so to speak. Example:

So I pulled out the default X face, slapped the new lips on it, made a new normal map, slapped the black lips and the mole on it, saved that (an alternate no-tats face...always handy), rearranged the tats a bit, saved that, yoinked around with the preset's skin tones in the GECK, and viola. I mean, voila.

I moved the rounded tribal to one side with the mole, and I moved all of the sharp tribal tats to the other side, and they connected perfectly. Weird.

One thing of note that I did here was to reduce the size of the texture by half; 2048x2048 really is unnecessary...

And then I covered it all up with hair and sunglasses! ::)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 01:03:42 AM »
Since my last post in this thread, I've changed some things around, added some new things, and have generally been a pain to my own self. Most of it's just tweaking this and that, cursing my own existence, etc. But one thing that has sort of bothered me is that combat armor.

See the last pic in my previous post for how it looks all-black.

I mean, I like it, but I think I could do it a bit differently. So I got out the green paint sprayer...

I admit it's somewhat unconventionl, but I'm starting to like it.

I've added a couple of new toys as well. One of these is the Bolt-Thrower, a much more hurtful version of the standard Gauss Rifle.

I find that it's very good at taking out just about anything.

Friggin' birds...

The other toy isn't new, really. It's the return of the lovely Leviathan, the missile launcher. The unique version of FNV's missile launcher, Annabelle, has decals that I used for my own nefarious purposes, as you can see here.

But the instruction panel is the same as it always was.

Note that the face texture is a little different. I have a version with a cheek mole and no tat. It's this obsessive insistence on variations that keep me awake at night.

I've been messing with the Soldier of Fortune armor:

The arms are skinny, but what the hell can I do? Honestly, I prefer the more solid arms of the vanilla female mesh. These body mods' arms are just too twig-like. Well, there is the athletic body mod, but that's pretty much Oblivion LightGUTS for Fallout. The X race is athletic and muscular, yes...but they aren't bodybuilders, damn it.  ::)

Also, I replaced the boots on the JillV armor. I hated them. These seem better.

That's enough from me for the moment.

...okay, maybe a bit more. After a bit of thought and some mesh-browsing, I think I found the answer to the merc armor problem...that's the soldier of fortune armor I referred to earlier. Anyway, I've been having issues with how skinny the Type3 arms are; not only are they skinny, they also look rubbery and weird sometimes (such as when moving sideways). This is most noticeable on armors that have bare arms, of course...

...the deal is that I wanted to removed the -- knitted? crocheted? -- bits from the merc armor for a bare-armed look, but the arms are, as I've said, skinny. I can handle the vanilla-shaped merc armor, but the issue was finding a vanilla mesh that--

--this is really boring. Summary: I now have a vanilla-centric mesh with wonderfully-shaped arms, and they're bare. The only problem is with the tats, as the arms are turned a little....but I think I can fix that somehow. I have spare time, why not? Anyway:

Going from the Type 3 mesh:

...to a mesh using vanilla parts:

Another shot:

The tats aren't too distorted by the different mesh. I think. I can live with it, anyway.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:05:08 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
Fiddling with colors.

Grays...

Standard Gray:

Gray, -50% brightness:

Gray, -75% brightness:

Reds...

Red, -75% brightness:

Red, -90% brightness (aka, the "Why Bother Coloring It Red?" red):

Sand:

Not Shown And Never Will Be: blue, purple, yellow, pink, mauve, puce, turqouise, paisley, plaid, argyle, and mint.

My favorite right now is the sand-colored cloth. It fits the setting, too.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 12:45:36 AM »
Dealing with some of the presets....while some of them are perfectly fine, others tend to be less so. The biggest problem I've had is with getting mouths right. It's hell.

First, this one looks okay at first glance, but then I start noticing bad things. I might scrap this one if I can't improve it.

This one took a bit of effort. I'll leave it in there.

This one needs a different hairstyle and bit of tweaking...as it is, she looks like she wouldn't be out of place in a cocktail dress. Perhaps that would work...the last person you would expect to side with Caesar? Hmmm...

This one's driving me nuts. The mouth is wrong, the nose is wrong...another one I might scrap if I can't get something decent out of it.

Added two more toys. This one is a combination of the sniper and gauss rifles I found on FO3Nexus:

It's about half as light as the Bolt-Thrower and silent, but it has half the clip and does a little less damage. See? That's that whole "balancing" thing I mentioned before.

This one is simply a black minigun with higher damage...but I think the sticker on the backpack says it all:

Next up: blood from a stone and water into expensive urine.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 12:46:23 PM »
So ... have you actually PLAYED the game yet???  :turnhappy:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 08:25:50 PM »
That's a very good question. In fact, let me pass it over to my colleague, Dr. Vicious Rottweiler, who will be pleased to answer it. :evil1:

But really? Yes. Sort of. That is... Honest answer? Even though I finished, I've spent more time modding FNV than playing it. But when you consider the game -- if you've played it to the very end, that is -- you can understand why someone would be more interested in screwing around with cloth colors than playing it.  ;)

At the moment, I'm about to resume with my male character so I can test out the male meshes in my modest little mod...which may cap 795gb if I don't stop adding crap to it.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 09:38:02 PM »
Success! Ha-ha! SUCCESS!!

...that might need some sort of explanation. Here you go:

Since I started this [bitter deprecations omitted] mod, I've been concerned about the fact that the [vile epithets omitted] hair would not work properly with hats. The solution, as someone figured out, was to pack the hair assets into a .bsa archive...otherwise, the game just wouldn't use them right. [various maledictions upon Obsidian omitted]

After screwing around with the FO3 Archive Utility's bsa creator...not at ALL a pain the ass to use...I gave up and said, hell...why do I need to use hats anyway?

...and so on. It was pathetic. But the Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM) has been out for a while now, and it has a far more friendly .bsa creator. So I was able, in the course of an evening -- with a break for a guacamole burger -- to troubleshoot the problem of certain hairs being totally uncooperative. Illustration:

After a while, I came to the conclusion that it was the texture that was the problem. After another hour of bashing my head against the wall, I realized that I was only partly correct: the problem was that the underlying part of the mesh, the piece that shows when you equip a hat, wasn't exactly retextured and/or was pointing at a texture that just didn't fit.

[gasp for air]

Nifskope Time: so by looking at how the other working hairs worked, I was able to remove the offending node and copy over a node that worked. So.

(Note that the hair is blonde in the be-hatted version; this is because the main streaked hair texture is totally black with a neutral strip that can be colored; there are four textures involved in most hairs, so obviously the texture used by the .egm uses one of the textures that isn't...I'm confusing myself...please make it stop...)

The non-streaked version of the hairstyle:

With a cowboy hat:

I'm in the middle of cleaning it all up for upload; I just want to get this thing done with so I can spend the next eleven months with nothing to mod as I pine for the Nords. I've been cutting out stuff I can't really justify having in there, as well as some of the outfits I just don't like anymore. Most of the outfits from the zzSSFO3 mod are in there, however, with the exception of a couple such as the Chinese Commando/Officer outfit. (I'll add it back in later if I can find the motivation to brighten the texture up a bit...it's just a damn blackout, really.)

Other things I've removed are the minigun (the one with the bumper sticker) and the light machine gun, this and that...just general trimming. Some of the outfits didn't make it (such as the Ghost bodysuit, the Alice outfit, and the Lara Croft armor), and I've been looking at the rest of them with a critical eye. By the way, the default color of the Combat Armor will be the sand version...but there will be several other options.

The good news is that I've included a goodly number of weapons this time around, as well as some interesting Type 3 armors. Some of them don't have male versions, but that isn't exactly MY fault...

I've made the X race dependent on their own meshes and textures so they aren't at the whim of a body mod. The female options will be either vanilla or Type 3 (as the other body mods are damn ugly), while the male will be entirely vanilla-based. There are two mods, Breeze's and Robert's, but getting the skin textures to work with them is a humongous pain in the dark side of the moon. Plus, with clothes on, there isn't just a helluva lot of difference between Robert's and vanilla anyway.

Female, however...hmmm. The Type 3 versions will be a bit diverse, I guess. I'm currently trying out a topless version of the Cali with tiny black undies -- on my character, not in real life -- and some of the options will be of varying sizes and shapes. I mean, I'm not using the Bigger Breast (BB)-styled mods, because they're just ridiculous. I even have a version with vanilla-style underwear, too. Seriously...I just wanted some cool outfits; I'm not interested in proclaiming my character "Black Qin: The Mojave Pump 'n' Gulp."

Speaking of painted women, I've been messing around with tattoo variants, so expect a few choices. There will be a couple of faces to choose from, too.

My fingers hurt. It's time to stop typing.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »
I'm currently trying out a topless version of the Cali with tiny black undies -- on my character, not in real life ...

This ... is a disturbing image.  :o

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 08:36:25 PM »
If you think THAT was a disturbing image, I was trying out this new body mod...

...I don't like it very much.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »
My eyes -- my eyes -- GAH!!!  :o

everything