Author Topic: Gametap -- How's it work?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Gametap -- How's it work?
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
I was checking on Gametap because they are supposed to release American McGee's Grimm very soon (July 31, actually), and noticed they have some "FREE" games on offer, including Tomb Raider Legends, Psychonauts, Legacy of Kain, Hitman 1 & 2, Rogue Trooper, Thief Deadly Shadows, Deus Ex and Second Sight, among many others. I'm interested in playing some of these, but wonder how the service works for the FREE games -- does it have in-game ads during load-up screens or somesuch? Do I have to sell my second child into slavery?

Oh, and they also offer Daikatana for free!  :onethumb:

Offline Joshua-kun

Re: Gametap -- How's it work?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 02:56:04 PM »
Gametap, as far as I can remember, only very occasionally bugs you about the Gold membership (been awhile since I had the free service.)  I did actually subscribe to the gold service, and there were a lot of old goodies in there (Psychonauts, PoP, etc.) but there were also a lot of stinkers.

And as far as I can remember, no in-game ads or anything like that.
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline bobdog

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:21:30 PM »
So maybe it's like WinZip or WinRAR, where they post a screen and ask if you want to upgrade before working? If so, I can deal with that for free games.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 06:42:58 AM »
Well, unfortunately, GameTap has removed like 95% of its free game content -- I don't know if this was something to entice you in, and then start charging for, or if other services like GOG forced its hand... regardless, it's not the value it once was to us cheapskates.  :computerfix: