Author Topic: I have played American MdGee's Grimm ...  (Read 2215 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
I have played American MdGee's Grimm ...
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »
... and it stinks ... both figuratively and literally.

If anyone remembers, McGee used to be a pretty good mapper in the Quake era, and then made a little game called American McGee's Alice, which was a dark trip down the Rabbit Hole with some extremely disturbing characters. And as such, it was interesting to play. Then McGee tried to peddle a "twisted" version of Oz, but that went nowhere as either a game or screenplay -- I think I might have been interested in that one at least. Lately, he "presented" some robot game that was lousy, and then something called Good Day or Bad Day -- can't remember -- also lousy.

So now MdGee is back with Grimm to deface the canon of fairy tales, much as he did with Alice and attempted with Oz. The good news is the first of several weekly episodes is free on Gametap. The bad news is that the whole gameplay is awful. You control Grimm, a stinky sweaty dwarf who radiates filth wherever he goes, causing all lifeforms to wilt and die or to turn into a twisted version of itself (i.e. doves turn into bats). When you spread enough filth around, you can "buttstomp" (double jump) on objects and crush them. To jump from one place to another, stand still and you'll start urinating, after which you can jump to that spot. Your goal is to deface every element of each fairy tale by spreading your filth around.

Graphics are on the Unreal engine 2.5, but look like something you'd see on an early Nintendo system -- sort of like Psychonauts in style, but not even that articulated.

The whole thing is just ... sad. It's not fun, it is more than disturbing, graphics are sloppy, and the concept is absurd. There were so many other ways they could have taken this idea than to have you spreading filth, butt-stomping and peeing on everything to change them from good to bad.

American McGee -- shame on you for selling out, and for losing any sense of good gaming.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:31:22 AM by bobdog »

Offline Joshua-kun

Re: I have played American MdGee's Grimm ...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
Lately, he "presented" some robot game that was lousy, and then something called Good Day or Bad Day -- can't remember -- also lousy.

"Scrapland" for the first, and Bad Day in L.A. in the second.

I played the first, which was sort of a GTA Rip-off, and, while not bad, was still pretty mundane.

"Bad Day in L.A.", the second, was socio-political commentary in a box accompanied by countless poop-jokes.

So, yeah.
Jya-shu-a-kuun