Author Topic: GOG.com - Good Old Games - DRM-free Games from Yesteryear for Purchase  (Read 9393 times)

Offline Joshua-kun

Apparently this is a site that is coming soon that will allow you to buy older DRM-free games from yesteryear that are compatible with XP and Vista!  :onethumb:

Some examples are Fallout, Operation Flashpoint, Freespace, etc.  Not sure if any DOS titles will be in there, but the premise alone is definitely exciting!

Sounds cool!

http://www.gog.com/en/intro
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: GOG.com - Good Old Games - DRM-free Games from Yesteryear for Purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
If they could somehow get System Shock 1 to work on XP, I'd be interested....

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:16:59 PM »
 Have you tried  System Shock Portable ? I remember getting this up and running quite a while back, it was kind of complicated...and that's all I remember. ;D
Tiens, voilĂ  du boudin...

Offline bobdog

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »
I did get this to only marginally work, in that, I only one time was able to get to the actual gameplay itself for about 5 seconds, then it spiraled into a BSOD and I couldn't ever get even that much to happen again. Very disappointing because SS1 is the first game demo I ever downloaded and told myself I would have that game!  :'(

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:26:15 PM »
To answer your question Bobdog, yes they are going to offer DOS games and, according to another source, they will already be enhanced to play on Win XP and Vista. I'm waiting for the whole 'Redneck Rampage' series to be released as it will contain ALL 4 games for either $5.99 or $9.99, I'm not sure which. Now, if the site comes through like promised, it'll be a great place to buy the older games. If it turns out to be a flop, well Bobdog, you KNOW what you have to do, don't you? Yes, you MUST unleash the Cats From Hell!!! :ok:

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
Wow. Redneck Rampage.  I remember playing the demo for that over...15 years ago, maybe?  Yeesh. I feel old.  But yeah, that's available tomorrow (Sep. 16).

In other news, I have purchased "Antaeus Rising: Hostile Waters" as I never got to try it the first time around. It's really a unique take on the RTS genre; you don't see too much innovation in games like this today except maybe in the indie community.  It's odd trying to deal with the interface which didn't manage to QUITE make as far as being easy to use.  Innovative, sure, but if we've come a long way on anything nowadays, it's User Interfaces (XBOX ports excepted  ::)).

I also got a free game after purchasing this one due to having signed up for the beta.  Fallout Tactics, anyone?  ;)
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:38:58 AM »
Darn, is this site ever going to open? I sent them my e-mail address, though it was after the Sept. 8th deadline. There's alot of older games I'd like to try and, hopefully, they'll have a good selection. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait....and wait....and wait.....and wait!!! :redhot: However, I did make one small mistake and told my son about this site and the fact that they'll probably have alot of race car games for sale....BIG MISTAKE!!! That kid's driving me nuts!! I can see the available balance on my credit card getting smaller and smaller and smaller!! Damn, me and my big mouth!!! BTW, that was just a statement and NOT open for discusion!! :hammerhead:

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:34:46 AM »
Hmm, as far as a I can tell, it IS open.  Maybe they're just not letting you sign up for an account?
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline bobdog

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 11:35:43 AM »
Stubby, far be it from us to disagree with your wisdom  :angel:

:funup:

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »
Well Hell!!! I guess they just don't like me! :'(  I re-submitted my e-mail address and I still can't get in. On their site they said they were going to keep accepting e-mail addresses until Sept. 22nd @ 11:59 PM. Oh well, there is a bright side to this....my credit card's balance won't be decreasing by leaps and bounds anytime soon which, of course, will keep the little Lady happy. On second thought, who cares if the little Lady is happy? I WANT MY 'REDNECK RAMPAGE!!!'  I want to be happy too!! And my son wants to be happy!! And I know that you guys want to be happy!! And we all just want to be happy!! HAPPY...HAPPY...HAPPY...is it too damn much to just want alittle HAPPINESS in one's life? No, of course not!! So why ain't I happy?? Well, I'm glad you asked....because I can't access GOG, that's why!!! I'm depressed!! :( >:( :mad1: :redhot:

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 10:40:59 AM »
You know Bobdog, I just somehow KNEW you would not dispute my wisdom, especially when it came to that previous statement!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 04:40:35 AM »
Well, If that can make you feel better Stubby, you're not the only one. I can't have any access too although in my case I'm not depressed  :lol: There are plenty of other much more depressing things in my life right now.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 08:43:10 AM »
Here's something depressing: signing up for the online beta two weeks ago and not receiving a access key, then this morning receiving not one but TWO keys....... immediately after the site goes down for maintenance.

:blowingpmad:

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
Damn Little Bugger, your luck's worse than mine!!! I didn't think that was possible!! :hammerhead: I got my access key this morning and had a chance to 'survey' the site and it looks pretty decent. However, the 'Redneck Rampage' I wanted, even though it is compatible with XP and Vista, it comes with no musical soundtrack, only vocals.  Did 'RR' even have a musical soundtrack? I can't remember if it did or not. Besides, I'm still running Win2000 Pro, and I'm wondering if it'll still work even though there isn't really too much difference between XP and Win2000. Any ideas??

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »
Ah gee, Stubb!  All you need to do is play the CD soundtrack from Deliverance and you're golden!  ;D
Jya-shu-a-kuun

everything