Author Topic: Freebies from FileFront  (Read 7488 times)

Offline OrlopRat

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
Re: Freebies from FileFront
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 10:17:48 AM »
 After...dark?...ummm...well....Fluffy? FLUFFY? What are you....NO! NO! AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Ooops....
Tiens, voilĂ  du boudin...

Offline bobdog

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »
Well, I have installed Area 51, Full Spectrum Warrior, Psi-Ops and The Suffering, and all play without problems, except for the highly annoying Air Force ads that roll about every third time you have to load either a new level or reload. I DL'd Rise and Fall, but it was originally saved with some bug, so the developers re-released it with new code -- haven't installed it yet, however. Overall, the four I mention are all pretty good, and definitely worth the price -- FREE!!  :onethumb:

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 09:10:12 AM »
*sniff*  :'(

I really gotta upgrade my DSL when I get back in the job saddle...
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline bobdog

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 09:44:20 AM »
Josh, since I've already DL'd them, how's about I make you some DVD copies and ship your way?

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »
Hey Bobdog, maybe you could help me! I re-downloaded 'Area-51' and this time Avast didn't go nuts! Anyhow, it installed perfectly, but when I went to play it, it asked permission to access the internet, which I gave it, then I got the error message, something about 'raw data and no internet connection.' Any idea what went wrong? My DSL is working properly and I did give it access, but then that error and back to the desktop???? Thanks!!!

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 11:43:23 AM »
You don't have to do that, Bobby.  Full Spectrum Warrior did get downloaded and refused to work anyway, so I'm not really losing too much sleep.  Thanks, though!
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline bobdog

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 05:23:50 PM »
Stubby, I didn't have ANY internet message come up when I installed Area 51. Don't know why yours would be different.

Josh, I've got FSW working, and it's actually pretty cool. I can still copy any of those 4 for you.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »
Quick Reviews:
I've now finished both The Suffering and Full Spectrum Warrior; overall, I found both games pretty entertaining and some "gems", especially as both are now available for free download. I do have to say that the Air Force-sponsored ad content is extremely heinous -- in the case of The Suffering, you would see the 30-second spot every other load/level change, but also sometimes inside the game content -- :redhot: talk about breaking immersion! Thank goodness I wasn't in firefights when it happened!! For FSW, it happened about every 3rd load or every level change.

Now, to the games:
The Suffering is a mature, twisted path through some pretty disgusting territory. You play Torque, accused of killing your ex-wife and two kids, and are now awaiting your last moment's on death's row in a reknowned penitentiary. However, you are miraculously freed from your cell when a power failure hits the prison. Unfortunately, outside your cell awaits some of the worst horrors you could ever dream up, all manufactured from the many deaths that have taken place at the prison over the years.

Your path takes you through many of the creepy cell-blocks, outside, back inside, and then around the small island where the prison lies to carry out some tasks to effect your rescue. You'll traipse through a quarry, caves, an abandoned (NOT!!) asylum, and finally to the docks where rescue awaits. The levels do an amazing job of keeping your curiosity piqued, but also of keeping you on your toes to ferret out supplies or fend off attacking waves of foes. As mentioned, the foes are as gruesome and disturbing a bunch as you've ever seen, and along the way, you face three ghostly guides who are integral to the prison's skyrocketing death-rate.

The Suffering plays from a third-person perspective and is ultimately a creepy fragfest. I played on the Easy level and still barely made it through alive. Also know that your good or evil actions provide the final ending of the game. Will you live up to the good thoughts of your dead wife? Or will you follow the island's path of evil? I highly recommend The Suffering (if you have a strong stomach for some chills and some very mature language) and give it 4.5 out of 5.

Full Spectrum Warrior (FSW) is completely opposite, as it takes realism in war to a whole other level. You control two four-person squads in the opening hours of an assault on a fictitious Arab nation (it's obviously a take on our invasion of Iraq). You start by going through some exercises with your squads to figure out how they work, how to flank, how to protect yourself as you move about, etc. Overall, I found the process VERY simple, and most everything can be done with your left- and right-mouse clicks and two other keys. I have never gotten into squad games (Rainbow Shield comes to mind) before, but FSW was surprisingly easy and fun to play.

You'll be in on the action from the initial drop, clearing streets, finding survivors, removing technicals, breaching the leader's palace, and the final surge to take down the bad guy. The levels are realistic, they make sense, and your squads must be used in tandem to get through obstacles alive. You'll also hear your sargents yell the same things over and over and over, but that's probably how it's done in real life. Interestingly, you get a really cool intro movie that tells you who your squadmates are and something unique about them, so that when you're in the "sh#@t", you know who to rely on. Another rare "gem", I'll give FSW a 4.25 out of 5.

everything