Author Topic: When In Ravenholm  (Read 25897 times)

Offline OrlopRat

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
Re: When In Ravenholm
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 10:56:03 AM »
  I don't know....my experience in visual humor is spotty.

When I was in college back in the  70's I drew a comic called "Mel and Ned", which followed the adventures of two fellows, one of whom was a hulking dimwit wearing an overcoat and no pants (Mel), and the other being a run down old sailor-looking type person (Ned).
  One day, while engaged in a tastefully depicted act of self gratification Ned reaches for the wrong jar and winds up physically addicted to Vick's Vapo Rub. His addiction becomes so intense that it causes the shutdown of the factory making the stuff, and the rest of the story involves the duo's desperate hunt for more of the product, a journey that eventually takes them to Mars where they battle nazis.

Copies of this thing still exist, despite my best efforts.

I am working on an Oblivion comic at the moment, somewhat hampered by the fact that there's no equivalent of Garry's Mod for the ES games, and the fact that I'm a lazy sod with a particular inability to focus on anything for more than five minutes.

But if I could be of any help....

Hey look! A penguin! ->   
Tiens, voilà du boudin...

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 03:28:23 PM »
It's a penguin! Get him!

And personally, I'd love to read Mel and Ned. I have a theory that all great works made since the 20th century somehow include Nazis in their work and will be recognized by history and the majority of human society (with the possible exception of Germany). This applies regardless of the quality of the work. You can find examples of these in many popular films (X-Men, Hellboy), video games (Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty), plays (The Diary of Anne Frank) and countless novels, comics, tv specials, and so on.

You want proof? Indiana Jones. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Last Crusade"? Instant classics. "Temple of Doom" and "Crystal Skull"? Meh. Good effort, though. I am therefore resigned to the fact that WIR will never be placed among the greats of webcomics, while Mel and Ned will live forever. Thank you, Orlop, for your lasting contribution to humanity.

And next!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:11:15 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 09:19:10 PM »
I planned to post this sometime tomorrow, but sadly I may not be online for a day or two. So without further ado, the conclusion to Issue One.

Thank you all for your feedback and support over the past 24 strips. :turnhappy: I've already started work on the pdf edition, including retouching the lighting on the high-res versions of the early pages. I'll also be making a couple of bonus strips sometime soon.

Hey Orlop, what if you made a fake advertisement? Something that could go fill in sections inbetween the main story and the extras. I'll leave the inspiration to you, my only restriction would be to use Letter-sized proportions (8.5 x 11) since that's the format everything else would be in.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:11:40 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 02:34:24 PM »
COMING SOON TO A PDF VIEWER NEAR YOU

Release Date: When it's done. :computerfix:

Nah, it's coming along. I'm working on a few bonus strips, and we have some submissions coming in from your favorite forum folk. Soon you'll have something fun to read... or re-read. Whichever you prefer.

Oh, and if anyone takes me issue with me quoting them on the cover, now would be the time to tell me. ;D

EDIT And if anyone is interested, I made wallpapers using the cover image and put them in my download section.
http://machinima.starfoxweb.com/index.php?name=Downloads&req=viewdownload&cid=1
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:30:36 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 02:30:55 PM »
Release date: Today!

When In Ravenholm Issue One: "We Kinda Went to Ravenholm..."

Includes!

The first 24 strips!
3 Bonus strips!
An advert by Orloprat!
A short story by Silver Sorrow!

Thanks to everyone from the forum who read, enjoyed, and sent feedback on the comic.

And now on to work on Issue Two! :turnhappy:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:08:47 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline bobdog

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 11:33:24 PM »
LB -- I just gotta say this first issue is a heaping pile of awesome!! Great job to you and your two cohorts (nice chop, Orlop!, and ... er ... interesting ... story by Silver ?!).

This deserves the Rock of Doom!!
:heavym:

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »
Very nice, my friend.    :onethumb:

And might I say, It's the first time I've ever been quoted in a positive way.  ;D
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2009, 11:44:55 AM »
 Good work indeed :onethumb: Well, except for that odd yellow page in the beginning, but nothing's perfect.

The .pdf format works great for this, it was nice reading the whole thing through at once, better flow and whatnot. And the extras were very amusing. I really enjoyed the new strips, and Silver's story was a happily disturbing read.

In the words of the ever annoying orphan Oliver Twist *, "More please?"

* Even his name is annoying. "Twist"? What's up with that? God, I hate Dickens....

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2009, 10:07:14 PM »

Thanks everyone for your kind words and feedback on the first issue! The responses I've been getting on the series on the whole are strongly positive, and I am very glad that so many people are enjoying my little fiddlings with Garry's Mod. I recently put WIR up on Facepunch (the official Garry's Mod forums). Due to the popular nature of Garry's Mod, Facepunch has roughly 2000 people online any given nanosecond, so naturally I've gained a fair range of interesting criticisms, ranging from the positive/constructive to the "What the hell?"

Quote from: Memobot
I thought it was good. The posing started awful, and with no faceposing, but it slowly got better. Practise makes perfect, and this comic looks promising. :D

Quote from: GoldenGnome
work on the posing and the editing. the humor saves this.

Quote from: Newsalvador!
YOU MSUT KILL THEM WITH PENOR CANNON AND STRIDERS AND GRAVITY GUN AND SO SUSAN GOT GRAVITYS GUN AND MADE THE CUMBiNES SQUISH AND SEND THEM TO OTER SPACE AND SCIENCES SO THEY NEVER BOTHER US AGAIN AND THE HUMEN RACE WAS FINE TILL GORDAN MADE A NUKLEAR EXPLOSIAN
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:55:11 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline bobdog

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2009, 01:13:23 PM »
I agree with Newsalvador!: go for a "NUKLEAR EXPLOSIAN"

:hammerhead:

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »
Well, the issue 1 is one pearl of fun... I posted a relevant news -- sorry I was really too busy to do it earlier or it would have been in telegraph form "GO THEREXXXGET THATXXXNOW!"

"EXPLOSIAN"... Seems cool... If only I could picture what it is...  :lol:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »
I'm knind of wondering about that "PENOR CANNON," myself. Unless...oh, no. It seems too horrible to even consider, but...does he mean "Pegnoir" Cannon??

...years after the war...

[A legless vet in a wheelchair berates a youngster] Oh, you think it was all fun and games out there, you little whippersnapper? There was lingerie flyin' everywhere! We were dodging panties, cone bras, speedos...you name it, and it was flung at us. Then the bastards brought out the Pegnoir Cannon...it seemed like we didn't have a chance at that point. They started chanting: "Panties...panties...panties.. ." it was a nightmare, kid. Then they begain raining hellsilk down upon us. I saw a buddy take rhinestone-studded pasties to the face, sheared his head clean off. I myself stepped on a thong and blew my legs off at the knees. The last thing I remember before I blacked out was seeing Sgt. Frock, bless his manly tighty-whities, rush the Cannon and stuff a pair of rigged boxers down the throat of that thing, jamming it. It exploded, and he disappeared from the waist up. I was sure I'd be seein' him in a few minutes and then everything went black. I woke up in a hospital three days later. They said I was lucky to be alive. "Lucky" they said. Sure. *They* don't have to live with the nightmares. *They* don't wake up screaming. Lucky. Ha! Sure, kid...we won the battle. But whenever I see a woman in her knickers, I wished I had died out there. That's why I always go commando...hey, where you goin'? Little bastard. What? Oh, hi officers. Nossir, I wasn't showing my John Thomas to a teenage boy, I was showin' him proof that...hey...HEY! Leggo! I'm a vet'ran! Can't you...rrrrrrrrghhh...zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzttt!...taktaktaktak...

...and peace reigned in the park once more.
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »
Interestingly enough, I do consider "PENOR CANNONS AND NUKLEAR EXPLOSIANS IN OTER SPACE" the alternative title to issue one. ;D

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2009, 08:59:50 PM »

"OTER SPACE".... heh heh he left out teh "T".

:ufo:

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 03:56:15 PM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:55:29 PM by Little Bugger »

everything