Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 12849 times)

Offline Vnitro

Left 4 Dead
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »
What's up??   Hey, any of you guys going to pick up Valve's Left 4 Dead?    Would love to frolic through some Valve maps with Starfox, Silver, Stubby, and a few others here and smash some Zombies to bits!    :hammerhead:

Or be a Zombie and throw up in Silver's pants pockets!   Just a little something to take home with you, Silver!   Of course, while your flesh eats away and then you will get to join the ranks of us Zombies!  eeeeehhhhhhhh!     

And what is up with Neil Manke's new They Hunger series?  Lost Souls, I believe...  did Valve sort of 'steal' this idea from Neal?

V

Offline Joshua-kun

Re: Left 4 Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:39:33 PM »
I'm not sure...most of the guys here are usually Single Player, but I'd make an exception with some of my buddies here at the Foxhole.
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Vnitro

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 01:52:23 PM »
I'm not sure...most of the guys here are usually Single Player, but I'd make an exception with some of my buddies here at the Foxhole.

Acutally, I believe the game is co-op, really.. so it might be ok for some of these guys. 

But I know these guys are closet Multi-players anyway...   :o

Offline OrlopRat

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:49:19 PM »
  Well, I remember playing a little Sven Co-op with some of the Hangar folks, and I'm still known to participate in a bit of Day of Defeat online (even though it's better offline with bots), so I'm open to a little intranet fragging....but...when I'll ever get a hold of Left 4 Dead I don't know, Fallout 3 just hit the disposable income stash pretty hard :xcry:
Tiens, voilĂ  du boudin...

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 05:50:13 PM »
Acutally, I believe the game is co-op, really.. so it might be ok for some of these guys. 

But I know these guys are closet Multi-players anyway...   :o

Guilty as charged.   ;D  I play a little Team Fortress 2 and Zombie Panic, actually.

Most people don't know this...but back in college: I ran a Quake Clan.

*runs and hides*
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »
EEEEK!! :disintegrate:

Oh...it's you! My bad. :woops:

What's up??   Hey, any of you guys going to pick up Valve's Left 4 Dead?    Would love to frolic through some Valve maps with Starfox, Silver, Stubby, and a few others here and smash some Zombies to bits!    :hammerhead:

Or be a Zombie and throw up in Silver's pants pockets!   Just a little something to take home with you, Silver!   Of course, while your flesh eats away and then you will get to join the ranks of us Zombies!  eeeeehhhhhhhh!

All that zombie vomit takes away my jingly change sounds! Mom won't let me have spurs, so I have to jingle my change when I walk. You have no idea how many times I've been arrested for, quote, "lewd acts". Still, I get a nice, warm cavity search out of the deal, and a few phone numbers too. ("You have a gentle touch, Officer Williams. Call me...") So until my caseworker says I can have pockets again, you'll just have to throw up in my shoes, thank you very much. Squish squish squish...hey, brains! Tastes like chicken brains... ;D

BUT! An interesting proposal. Since my FPS muscles are weak and wobbly -- thanks to the RPGs -- I just might have to get involved in this. I'll likely be easy to stomp.  :angel:

And what is up with Neil Manke's new They Hunger series?  Lost Souls, I believe...  did Valve sort of 'steal' this idea from Neal?

V

Last I heard, They Hunger: Lost Souls is supposed to be an independent game from Neil's Black Widow Games using the Source engine, but the last update on his official site was back in February, and the most recent news I could find dated back to March. So I have no idea if they're still developing it. Back when he wasn't getting paid to mod, Didn't Neil quit to build a house, or something?  :-\

Most people don't know this...but back in college: I ran a Quake Clan.

That's ASTOUNDING! You went to college??? Huh! Doesn't show. :evil1:

(As you can tell from my malodorous fragrant wit, I dropped out of college. THAT shows.  :'()
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 07:45:59 AM »
I don't know just when I'll pick up L4D, but you can count me in when the time comes.   :onethumb:
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 08:40:15 AM »
That's ASTOUNDING! You went to college??? Huh! Doesn't show. :evil1:

(As you can tell from my malodorous fragrant wit, I dropped out of college. THAT shows.  :'()

Actually, me too.  BROTHERS IN SOLIDARITY!  :turnhappy:

Anyway, uh, yeah. Left for Dead. woot!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:11:29 AM by Joshua-kun »
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 05:42:23 PM »
Oh, I'm definitely in. I've been ACHING for a game like this ever since I played those zombie mods for CS:S.
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »
I'm very interested in Left 4 Dead, I'm just waiting for the demo before I decide to get the pre-order or not. Even Zombie Panic: Source lags for me in the more intensive parts, and given the graphical tweaks Valve has made to the Source engine, I'd hope not to suffer that throughout most of the gameplay.

If it does run smoothly though, I'd be happy to play it with any Foxhole member willing to set-up the server. There's apparently a single-player mode as well, for both the single-player and slow-connection inclined.

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
Hey Big V, it's been awhile since we heard from you!! It's great to see that you're still alive and kicking :ok: I'd love nothing more than to whip your butt in a good online game, but due to controller issues, I'll have to opt out. (whew, I lucked out there!!) However, I can suggest the next 'best' thing.....we can have Silver's brides, in their cheerleading clothes, standing on the sidelines cheering you on!! Man, what more incentive do you need??? Granted, you may be distracted by their 'beauty' but at least it'll be a good test of your concentration!! Now, I saved the best part for last...the winner of this match-up wins an all-expense paid, 5 day stay at a Motel 6 with Silver's Brides!! Compliments of Silver!!  :doublekiss:  :throwup: However, before the winner can claim his 'prize' he\she MUST produce proof of up-to-date rabies shots and proof of having at least 6 penicilen (sp?) shots within the last week prior to his\hers date with the Brides. Now we're talking incentive!!!

Disclaimer; The supporters of this event will not, and cannot be held liable for broken bones, bite marks, or castruation (I really need to learn to spell!) during the course of the 5 day stay with the Brides. Any, and all, medical bills will be the sole responsibility of the winning party. 

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 12:41:03 PM »
Well, V, I wouldn't mind frolicking with you through some L4D maps except that it's always ridiculously complicated to organize something like that with the whole "time difference" thing. I'm 6 hours ahead from NYC so that means either I must wake up pretty early OR you must stay awake pretty late  :lol:

Well, the Foxhole is for single player stuff -- because there are already an astounding number of sites out there discussing MP -- but that doesn't prevent us to go MP wacko from time to time as long as it's with intelligent people and not the "I owned ya sucker!" type (which usually makes me hate MP sessions).

That aside, the release of L4D will happen exactly in the time bracket of the Half-Life 10 years Anniversary (exactly on the same day for France) so... I guess that means we can forget about Episode 3 as a surprise gift, unless Valve really kept it secret to make a big surprise. In fact Episode 3 is so secretive that there has not been a single screen released yet -- to my knowledge. I must admit that I have some trouble understanding Valve logic on that one. Please prevent them to give us another "Super Gold Platinum 10th Anniversary Anthology Edition".

Anyway... How are you doing V?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 07:36:46 AM »
I'm trying to DL the L4D demo through Steam, and not having any luck. I know it's only available for a short week as a demo. Anyone else having problems?

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 08:48:53 AM »
Yeah, I just tried it too, and nothing. They probably haven't switched off the early access status, but that should happen sometime today.

UPDATE

It's up and downloading.... here's hoping my comp can take it!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:02:02 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 10:39:59 PM »
I just played the two maps that come with the demo.

...wow.

Just... wow.

The only problem I had was occasional stuttering and even a momentary lock-up or two. Maybe I was pushing the engine too hard. There are a LOT of enemies in places. But still... it's totally awesome.
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."