Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 12626 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Left 4 Dead
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:22 PM »
I too have just tried the two demo maps, in about 15 minutes each at Normal level. It is exhilarating, but for the single player, I think one time through may be all you'll need to get the experience. I lowered most of the specs for my graphics card to medium level, and played at 1024x768, so I didn't have any stuttering problems whatsoever, and had still a really attractive experience.

I don't know ... I think it probably would be fun with friends, but I'm not sold on it. I'd be willing to give it a shot with some Foxholers over the next week if schedules work out.

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 11:25:57 PM »
I think the draw of it is that, instead of a largely static experience such as Counter-Strike or Day of Defeat, Left 4 Dead can vary things up greatly. On my one playthrough, I saw signs of that- places where nothing happened when I thought it would, and places where I was overwhelmed where I thought it might be safe. The AI director could be a really cool thing if it works as advertised- making every playthrough just a bit different, making you always keep your head on a swivel.
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »
Having tested the demo (which works! Huzzah!), I agree that the replay value will be largely represented by the co-op and AI Director features. Single-player is fun, but its not the same thing as slugging through the hordes of zombies with friends.

Offline OrlopRat

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »
 Well, I downloaded the demo through Steam, launched it, and get a black screen. Sound, aye, but a black screen. So I figure my online computer isn't up to it. 4Mhz CPU, 1gig RAM, but I suppose the sticky thing is my old ATI 9600 128 MB card.
:computerfix:

My gaming machine would handle it, but it's offline and staying that way. Which I guess kind of kills the issue, eh? :lol:

Hey, I tried...
Tiens, voilĂ  du boudin...

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »
I suppose you couldn't create backup files through Steam and transfer them along with a Steam install file to the gaming comp? Or is that more trouble then its worth? ;D

I was talking about the issue to someone on my Steam list who several performance problems, and he ended up going with the XBox 360 version, which might be the better way to go for those who can't get it to work on a PC.

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »
Well, it's out! I've been playing through the single-player bot campaign a couple times so far and found it to be loads of fun. My only issue is that there are sometimes "hitches" where you can tell the game is loading up new stuff. Still, they're not terribly bad.

Anyone else playing it now? I might be persuaded to play co-op. I have a microphone now and everything!
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 07:41:35 PM »
I'm up for that! Not just this second, but probably later tonight.

I was up far too late last night working my way through the first half of the game.... and am looking forward to putting in the time for more! :onethumb:

Forum Restriction Notice
Some of the content of this post is not visible for  Guests.
You must be logged in to view the full content.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 08:18:27 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 09:31:23 PM »
Ooh, nothing like a little healthy competition...
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 08:03:34 AM »
Yes, I've played Zombie Panic.  It's definitely pretty fun (and free!) and requires a lot of co-operation from your teammates.  And they're still building on it...
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Vnitro

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »
I decided to pick it up and surprisingly, I am enjoying this game very much...  anytime you guys want to co-op it, let me know! 

Offline CorB

• CHCinc.ca
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 08:13:40 PM »
I have gone through it a couple of times, online.  Fun game when you can get 3 other people who play well together.
COD5, Fallout3 and now Left 4 dead, all fun games. (steam name : CoR)

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »
Anyone still interested in online play with this?  I just bought it (thank God for Christmas money  ;D).

Forum Restriction Notice
Some of the content of this post is not visible for  Guests.
You must be logged in to view the full content.

Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
L4D recently released stats options alongside the achievements, allowing you to keep track of how many zombies you killed, total game time, favourite weapons and characters, etc. It creates a weird feeling though: having owned the game since release and played through all campaigns on a fairly regular basis, all my stats are at zero. Way to take me down a peg, Valve.... :P

EDIT And now the stats seem to have mysteriously disappeared......
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:28:23 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline Dough with Fish

• Sap you in teh face! Oh noes!
  • Forums Keeper
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »
The greatest addon ever, for Left 4 Dead. Get it here

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 05:08:30 PM »
Ha ha ha ha. Thanks for my cheap laugh of the day, Doughy. :biglaugh:

everything