Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 12848 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Left 4 Dead
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2009, 04:08:39 PM »
So the new L4D DLC Crash Course was released today, apparently to much interest, as it took Doc, Lil Bugger and I more than 20 minutes to even get online due to Valve servers being full. And then Doc and I did a quick playthrough on the campaign side (normal difficulty).

It is quick, as I think we rolled through the 2 maps in about 30 minutes, including the finale event. It also had ridiculous amounts of ammo and guns; perhaps higher difficulty lowers this amount. And overall, level design was very basic, with no really noteworthy areas to speak of -- mainly alleys. My overall impression is that this was perhaps just Valve's attempt to mollify its critics because of bringing out L4D2 so "soon." Or maybe even (cynically) a last-ditch money-grab to sell more of the original game.

Whatever, I've played much better user-designed add-ons, and even the original maps were more interesting. I'll have to see what vs play or a higher difficulty setting might do to change my mind.

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »
The use of alleys and multiple ambush points really drive home the point that this campaign is mainly meant for versus play, as Valve specifically stated.  I enjoyed it for what it was...a quick romp on campaign mode, but should be lots more fun (and quick; most estimates places it at 30 minutes) in Versus.
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »
I just finished a Versus mode play, and it's a lot of fun. There are multiple infected points of attack (ie climbing points, hiding points for spawning), and the "ridiculous amount of ammo and guns" ensures that the survivors can hold out against rapidly spawning enemies. Overall, the teams are more balanced, and I remember hearing that something similar may have been added to versus maps for the other campaigns so I'll have to give it a shot.

Also, thanks to the size, the match was over in 30-40 minutes. This fixes the only real problem I have with the other versus campaigns, that to complete a full game you could potentially have to play each campaign for up to 90 minutes depending on the skill of other players. With balanced teams and a shorter game, you can enjoy the good things and it comes to an end before things drag on for too long.

I look forward to trying a versus game with you guys when we get a chance!