Author Topic: The Dark Mod: Saint Lucia Demo Mission  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
The Dark Mod: Saint Lucia Demo Mission
« on: December 27, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »
Today, I received an e-mail from The Dark Mod team letting me know that after the first alpha technology demo Thief's Den they released last January, (more information in this news), a new demo mission was available titled The Tears Of St Lucia.

It's a good thing that someone reminded me of this fact because this mission was released a few weeks ago at a time when I couldn't play it due to time constraints. Then Fallout 3 got in the way and Saint Lucia somewhat stepped off my mind until today email from Tels. I have to apologize to the Dark Mod team for this delay. In any case I decided to fire it up and give it a try.

Let me tell you, a lot of things have changed since the first demo release. The Dark Mod team still qualifies Saint Lucia has an alpha release but in my opinion we're really getting closer to beta quality. In Saint Lucia the venturous taffer will have the possibility to test features that were absent from the first demo (like swimming) and finally the blackjack is working as it should.

The mission itself is much bigger than Thief's Den was and is the size of a small FM.

There are still some bugs remaining (hence the "alpha" qualification) but The Dark Mod team is hard at work to eliminate them. I experienced twice a curious effect that when I tried to mantle on something (which otherwise works nicely) propelled me toward the ceiling -- at one point I found myself in some air duct I apparently shouldn't be able to access. But well that was a fun issue. I didn't have any crash or game stopping bug.

To sum up it's quite satisfying to see The Dark Mod team progressing on the right path and Saint Lucia undoubtedly marks the second public milestone in the development of the total conversion of Doom 3 into a real Thief-like universe. And undoubtedly in my mind, The Dark Mod is already presenting itself as what Thief Deadly Shadow should have really been.

Additional info and the download link are available on The Dark Mod wiki.

Frankly speaking, The Dark Mod is certainly the only reason for me to keep a copy of Doom 3 installed. Even if you're not a seasoned Thief player but own a copy of Doom 3, give Saint Lucia a try, it's worth it.

Great job guys; we're hoping to see more of your work soon  :ok:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
Re: The Dark Mod: Saint Lucia Demo Mission
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:14:47 PM »
Overall, I'm fairly impressed, especially for it being technically an alpha build. Although I'm not sure they have the "Thiefy" feel quite right- yeah, I know, that's kind of a nebulous term and I'm hard-pressed to better define it- but that's probably one of the things they have to work on. My only complaints:

- Hiding a crucial note under a rock fairly well off the beaten path. Given that the "frob aura" doesn't always show well- especially in well-lit areas- this was pretty aggravating.

- Judging the distance and aim of a blackjack strike. Far too often I hit someone who was completely unaware and just alerted them. I know I should aim for the head, but it's really hard to discern if I'm in range or not.

Everything else being equal, though, it's a pretty good piece of work so far. I like how the lighting works; I just wish they could soften the shadows a bit, although that's an engine thing. Looking forward to more!
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

everything