Author Topic: TTLG down ??  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Nancy

TTLG down ??
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:52:12 AM »

I've   been  trying  to  get   to  TTLG   for  a  week ..........with  no  success !! :computerfix:

Are  they   down,  or  is  it  me ?? :hammerhead:

Thanks   for   any  info........... :lol:

Offline OrlopRat

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
Re: TTLG down ??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:26:22 PM »
 I haven't been able to get through for the past few days, I thought it was just me but I guess it's not. :P

No idea whats going on though. It's happened before, so hopefully it's temporary. (Yes folks, I play Thief, I just don't ever seem to have anything interesting or helpful to say about it ;D )
Tiens, voilà du boudin...

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
From what I recall, a month or so ago the Circle's server (?) was fried...no backups (::))...and all of the FMs, utilities, wallpapers, etc., were lost. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with what's going on now.

www.thief-thecircle.com itself is down, but that OTHER Thief site, Southquarter (run by people who no doubt hate my stinking guts for various valid reasons) has this posted:

The boards at Through The Looking Glass are down, and having some temporary difficulties.  We set up a very temporary message board here at www.southquarter.com/ttlg in case anyone feels the need to post anything Thief related.  Feel free to register, login, and post to your heart’s content.  Warning, moderation will be minimal to non-existant [sic].

Woo-hoo! Minimal to non-existent** moderation! Time to break out the naked pics and the urban english dictionary! ¡Arriba! :vacation:

[**  ;D]

EDIT:

Digging around, I found the following post:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=933994&postcount=87

...which leads to this:

http://web.mac.com/davidcornish/stuff/ttlg.txt

...which I will quote here:

TTLG has been hosting for free by Saam for the past 7 or 8 years, and for the most part it's been great.

However,  I plan on moving TTLG's hosting to a commercial host for a number of reasons:

• Increased reliability
  • 24/7/365 support
  • Massively increased bandwidth (we can do more, it'll be faster)
  • I have plans that require a better server and more bandwidth.

Moving to a commercial host would also allow us to rebuild and maintain our own download archive, rather than relying on a third party.
Recently our entire download archive was lost, because the (free!) host did not have a backup. D'oh.

Unfortunately moving to a commercial host requires between £800 and £1200 (this is a great package) a year (hosting actually appears to be cheaper in the UK at the moment for some reason) and we don't have that kind of money, we are going to do something I truly dislike doing, and ask for some of your hard earned money.

We are hoping that between 80 and 120 people would be kind enough to donate £10/$13/Û10 so that we can go for one of these hosting packages. In the event that there is any additional money left over, it will be kept in an account for the following year's hosting. I will also make public the amount of donations we have received, and exactly what they have been spent on.

Now, we know we are asking for a lot, so we are going to offer an incentive.
For everyone who donates £10, we will give you one of the following if you wish.
  • Ability to attach images and other files to your posts on the forums
  • A custom title (within reason!)
  • An email address at any of the domains we have, be it @ttlg.com, @thief-thecircle.com, @bioshock-online.com - anything.
  • Basic website hosting (for a static HTML site, or maybe a Wordpress blog) hosted at any of the domains we have. For example http://YourName.ttlg.com
  • Private forums for your FM beta testing or outside projects
  • Anything else I can think of. But not avatars or signature images.
  • A custom colourscheme for the forums.

If anyone uses dedicated hosting and has good experiences, this is what I am looking for:
  • Dual or Quad core Opteron, Core 2 Duo or Xeon. Min 2.0GHz
  • 2 or 4GB RAM
  • 2 x SATA II drives in RAID, min 160GB, 7200 RPM
  • Windows 2003 or Windows 2008
  • Root access. RDC or VNC.
  • Min 1TB monthly transfer. Preferably 2TB.
  • Min 10mbps line, preferably 100mbps
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:41:56 PM by Silver Sorrow »
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Nancy

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:52:06 PM »

Wow.......so  much  information............thanks   :)

I  blame  * you  guys *  for  getting  me  hooked   on   " Thief " ,  and    I  need  my  daily   fix  of

reading   The  Foxhole    and    the  FM   forums   at  TTLG .  :funup: :hammerhead: :purplelaugh:

I  intended  to  save  some  of  the  best   " chats  and  hints " (  many   of  the   FMs   were

fantastic  ) ,  but   of  course,  I  didn't  get   around  to  it . :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

I   just  hope  that   all  was  not  lost !!!!!! :(

Offline bobdog

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:54:27 PM »
That's ... interesting .... Weren't they all pissy at Komag because he was taking "money" for his FM-copying services?? Which of course didn't even pay for the postage, copying costs, time, hosting, bandwidth, etc.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:12:11 AM »
The harsh reality of the web  ::)

Having a good hosting is not free and prices do not tend to decrease with time. The price they announce is the one for a standard VPS (Virtual Private Server) which is not the top hosting solution but is already expensive. But considering the use of TTLG I understand the move (which does not atone for anything they've said about Komag -- but well, when the stone's in your garden it's a whole different problem, huh?).

Basically that is the reason why downloading files from The Foxhole is reserved to members. I don't want to be forced at one point to make a similar move. Our hosting is already not free but I can manage the price as it is. Switching to a VPS would require from me to start asking for donations and that's something I'd prefer avoid.

You always may want to promote "free" web (and the "free" philosophy of the internet is something I personally always fought for) people downloading files from the web should realized that there is a cost to that, a cost that someone somewhere has to support at some point (particularly when things get out of control). There are simple things that users may do to keep their free services entirely free:

1) For example when you've downloaded a file from a server, store it somewhere (a CD, an external drive). Don't just throw it away after having played with it  just thinking that you can always re-download it later. Downloading it again is consuming bandwidth and bandwidth is a real problem on the web.

2) Avoid when you can the use of multi-threaded downloaders (downloaders that stress the same server several times to get a file faster). These "enhanced" utilities largely increase the load of the server processor (processor that on free or shared servers is shared by several websites) and if the load generated by one website hampers the others the host comes to the site owner and say "well, now  you may switch to a VPS or a DS or we won't be able to host your site anymore." Note that downloaders that get the same file from different servers are not a problem. Only downloaders stressing the same server are.

Simple things like that may prevent bigger problems if a sufficient number of people apply them and in the end everyone's happy.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Nightwalker

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:55 AM »
The TTLG forums are on a different server than The Circle archives. None of the data from the forums was lost, thankfully but it has been run on a regular computer parked in Saam's office and has been less than reliable for the last while which is why they decided to explore the option of hosting the forums on a commercial server. The majority of us are quite happy to contribute if it will ensure that the forums won't keep disappearing with no warning until somebody can reboot the computer. The Circle archive is hosted by someone who kindly donated the space and bandwidth as they had more than required for their business. Unfortunately, there was a crash and all the updates that had been done had not been backed up anywhere so they have to start to rebuild it from scratch which is a lot of work but will get done in time.

I never quite understood why admin was so harsh with Komag but you can breathe a sigh of relief. He's back, as Komag. Most people (including admin) knew he was back under the nick of Shadak for quite awhile.  :ok:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 10:12:38 AM »
Many thanks for the info. We -- and this is the Royal We, by which I mean "I" -- are [am] a bit clueless about what's going on over there, as well as what's happening everywhere else. Everyone else on this forum has a healthy interest in the world around them (any objections to this quite complimentary over-generalization can be forwarded to our new President, who is probably wondering right about now what the HELL he was thinking when he wanted the job), and I don't, so the clearup is...good for them, yet sadly lost on the likes of me.  :'(   :lol:

I knew Shadak was Komag, but it's good to see him back openly...under the name Komag, I mean. Not that I am implying...never mind. I'm digging myself a deeper hole with every post I make...
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.