Author Topic: Thief 4 in Development!!!  (Read 2518 times)

Offline GreyMouser

• Forums Keeper
  • It's all so UNREAL to me.
Thief 4 in Development!!!
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:00:52 PM »
I am surprised no one has posted about this yet! I was sure a certain "Silver One" would have already done so... ;)
I'm sure this little announcement would bring a smile, (ever so slightly), to his face.. :purplelaugh:

Quote from: BluesNews.com
Eidos: Thief 4 Under Development

Eidos-Montréal is excited to unveil its previously secret second title in development at the studio, Thief™ 4, the next instalment in the legendary series.

The original Thief game, Thief: The Dark Project redefined first person gaming and established an entirely new genre of stealth based game play. The critically and commercially acclaimed Thief series has won numerous awards and accolades including GameSpy Hall of Fame, GameSpot Greatest Games of All Time and The Academy of Interactive Arts And Sciences Outstanding Achievement in Character and Story Development.

Eidos-Montréal, which is also currently producing the much anticipated Deus Ex™ 3, has recruited the very best core team for the development of Thief 4. The team is comprised of industry veterans who have worked on an incredible collection of AAA titles and who each bring personal expertise in their respective fields.

“We’re in the early development stages for Thief 4, but this is an incredibly ambitious and exciting project for Eidos,” said Stéphane D’Astous, General Manager at Eidos-Montréal. “While it’s too early for us to offer any specific game details, right now we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio and help us make what we believe will be one of the most exciting games on the market.”

Thief 4's official site.....thief4.com......for now, is just a place holder,..no information.

............................. ...................:smoking:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:01:11 PM by GreyMouser »
The Beauty is in the "Play".

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Thief 4 in Development!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:18:12 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up GM!  :ok:

Seeing how they managed TDS development, I'm not exactly thrilled... these guys will have a lot to prove before regaining the community full trust  ::) And I sure would prefer to hear the news without the usual PR bullshit "incredibly ambitious and exciting"... Yeah TDS was that too...

But let us get that straight: they intend to develop both DX3 and Thief 4 at the same time, probably heading for the console market first... That reminds me of a sad story... Well time will tell, I guess. Meanwhile, there are tons of people playing hundred of FMs for T1/Gold/T2 despite (or maybe because) they are 10 years old games and there are only a handful of TDS FMs available. That should tell Eidos something. Want a solid product? Ask people who play Thief first! the community is large enough.

Eidos is really in the frying pan there. Every fan will be waiting for them around a corner of a street with a loaded shotgun... me first (well maybe not first, that will depend on my planning  :purplelaugh: )

Not to mention that Thief was originally a trilogy. It was designed as that, with TDS being the end of the story. The full circle has come to an end. So what are they planning now (aside trying to suck more money from the franchise)? Bringing Thief to the new age? "Tonight I must infiltrate the mansion of a big Hollywood producer. The security will be tight with plenty of guards armed to the teeth with grenades and MP5. But hey, I got my trusty Tazer with me."

If they go that way, I know a lot of people that will be pissed...

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:50:09 AM »
Ah, so it's not just a rumor anymore! The TTLG forums have been going totally nuts since the rumors started; the Thief 4 Anticipation forums, for example.

To sum up all the furor, I think the bottom line is this: Thief 1 with better graphics. That's all we want. ;D

The one thing that bugged me the most about TDS -- besides the weird player movement thing -- was how difficult it was to blackjack someone. You couldn't just lure them to a dark corner and KO them as in the first two games, no...they had to be (relatively) unalert. If they bring back the lovely functionality of the first two games (rope arrows, being able to blackjack alert AI, swimming, smooth movement, etc.), I know the community would be a happier place...

...and I chuckle to myself because I just made a funny.  ::)  At least *I* would be happier, anyway. And that's all that counts!  :ok:

While I wouldn't mind (too much) seeing a modern-day Thief, I kind of wonder: since the original games weren't exactly specific on *when* the game is set (is it an alternate past? is it the future? is it even on earth??), what would a modern day Thief *mean*, exactly? It's kind of like people referring to Oblivion's time frame as being "medieval". What? It's on another planet, dude. And it's not even clear whether we're talking about another planet, exactly, or another plane of existence entirely.

Personally, I prefer the original setting...although pawing through, say, Jessica Alba's panty drawer in search of The Eye, would be a fine alternative to a game soaking in Thiefy atmosphere.  :purplelaugh:

And I think that even though they finished the story, they sort of left it open. Would this new story have something to do with the girl who Garrett caught trying to pick his pocket? Would this be a sidekick game, or would it follow the adventures of...hmmm...Britney, a sultry, barely-legal blonde who has an affinity for hip-huggers, thongs, halter tops, and tattoos? And wouldn't such a wardrobe force us to throw expectations of stealth-oriented realism (so to speak; Garrett could "disappear" in shadow, after all) to the wind as a scantily-clad white girl with tons of shiny golden hair tried to hide in the shadows? Would this be the introduction to another trilogy, featuring Britney as The Other True Keeper? In the final, climactic scene of the third game (sixth), would her tramp stamp turn into a Keeper glyph...a key, perhaps?

All I know is I hope Cary Elwes in full Robin Hood regalia makes a cameo at that point, proclaiming "It IS the key to the greatest treasure in all the land!"

And then the credits roll over a dance video.

Excuse me, I'm exhausted. Does it show?  :lol:

Thanks for the info, GM.  :ok:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 04:48:02 AM »
Excuse me, I'm exhausted. Does it show?  :lol:

No it doesn't  :biglaugh:

Britney as a stealthy character... And half-way through a mission she would feel compelled to sing her way through?

"I don't need a blackjack, my voice is enough"  :purplelaugh:

"It IS the key to the greatest treasure in all the land!"

Unfortunately thanks to a tiny skirt and a well placed pap we do have proof of the opposite  :evil1:

Oh well, speculations aside, I think it's safer if we wait for Eidos to give us at least a basic idea of what they have in mind... Otherwise this will get out of control pretty fast  :hammerhead:

Edit:

Quote from: Stéphane d'Astous
Even though it's a franchise that we last saw five years ago, we're going to bring a fresh look and a fresh approach. We're always respecting the history and the spirit of the game, but innovation will definitely be quite interesting.

OK now  I'm freaked out. I think we can abandon all hope of a return to the good old T1/T2 gameplay...

When you have such hardcore fans, they're protective, and they're very vocal. We understand all that, and we expect them to continue in that vein, so our mandate is to bring this game to a new level, and it's a challenge to reassure the old fans, but we want to introduce this classic franchise to new fans, so that's going to be our challenge. We won't be able to please 100% of the fanbase, but we're going to do our best to have the least compromise possible.

PR crap for: "To hell with the fanbase. We need to reach all the console guys because that's where the money is."

By the way you can find the full interview on the official forum. You'll learn squat -- aside the fact that they are so early in the development that the only thing ready is the logo and apparently they don't even have a real idea about what the game will be -- but if you like reading behind the lines of PR talk, it's fun.

I recommend reading the post after the interview because as far as PR talk is concerned, the poster comments are pretty much dead on.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:34:46 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 01:26:47 AM »
"It IS the key to the greatest treasure in all the land!"

I'll amend my statement: well...it's the most photographed treasure in all the land, I'll agree. :lol: And whether it's actually a "treasure" or not -- plundered as it has been by countless scavengers -- is something for the scholars to debate in ages to come. :-\

Still, I think the mission where you have to infiltrate a Hammerite girls' school sounds interesting...especially the part where you have to hang upside down and clench the stripper's pole with your ass (rapid middle mouse button clicking) without passing out or falling on your head, while your accomplice (Basso's daughter, Gasso) ransacks the headmaster's office for important documents. There's an important Achievement or two in that mission, needless to say. ("You've unlocked the exclusive music video!")

"I don't need a blackjack, my voice is enough"  :purplelaugh:

Just don't go into third-person when stealth-singing a bad guy: the way her lips never move? Totally lip-synched, dude. Mondo immersion ruinage.

PR guys are minions of Satan. I don't think there's any other logical explanation for their existence. Old joke: you can tell Pete Hines is lying...his lips are moving. Bethesda is one thing, but Eidos? Call a PRIEST. Your kid plays an Eidos product and the next thing you know they're puking pea soup and exposing their baby fat for OUI.

(I don't know if I've ever used Linda Blair as a cautionary device, but it seems to work.)
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.