Author Topic: L4D Custom Maps  (Read 23419 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: L4D Custom Maps
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 09:44:34 AM »
Here's a couple more we should try out:
- Detour Ahead has two maps available in the campaign, which are getting high marks so far and look cool.
- The Mortuary has all three maps available for the campaign , so it should be creepy!
- Escape from Toronto: A New Nightmare is a revamp of the original EFT, which was receiving some harsh comments. The author has gone back for a second stab at it, and now has 4 of 6 maps done.
- Silent Hill Part 1 is supposedly based off the original Silent Hill game, which I've never played. However, 4 of 5 maps are done, so it might be worth a spin.
- Back to School is getting some great comments about its two maps that have been released.

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »
Oooo, Silent Hill! I just finished the 3rd game the other day!  Me wants!  :onethumb:
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »
I took a glance at Mortuary (since I'm always such a sucker for the complete stuff) and it looks good and makes use of the new community map features.

Of course, even though I only played Silent Hill 2, I love the series, and would be willing to give that a shot as well, and hope that the fog doesn't create a bunch of lag for us.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 09:40:03 AM »
So Josh and I tried The Mortuary and Detour Ahead -- the first is a fairly quick succession of maps and is not bad, but the latter is definitely high-quality fun in its two maps, especially when Josh couldn't find his way out of the "maze"!  :hammerhead:

On my own, I attempted EFT's second pass. The first set of maps were "okay" and this only takes it up slightly -- it seems darker and more concentrated, if that makes any sense. Still lots of graphical inconsistencies that need to be worked out but the author is taking lots of feedback.

And finally Back to School is an excellent set of two maps set in the great wilderness. Lots of variety and lengthy gameplay add to major fun -- this is a definite to play with a team.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »
But before we get to anything more, we have one priority: Death Aboard suck its final map release past us!

There's even a vpk version, although that's not available on L4DMaps due to server issues, but you can get it from L4DMods instead.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
I'm on that like the Cats of Hell on Orloprat....   :funup:

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 10:28:20 PM »
But before we get to anything more, we have one priority: Death Aboard suck its final map release past us!

There's even a vpk version, although that's not available on L4DMaps due to server issues, but you can get it from L4DMods instead.

Hmm, "Suck its Final Map release?"  I hope that isn't an indicator of quality.  :lol:
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 10:53:30 PM »
I MEAN SNUCK!

Boy that typo didn't suck past you! ;)

Offline bobdog

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »
Silent Hill is definitely foggy and has some creepy moments, but many of the safehouse doors are unable to be opened because of bars across their path. I don't know if you're supposed to go somewhere and activate something or get a key, or what -- it made for really confusing gameplay. I only played the first two maps (no-clipping past the locked doors), and peeked into a third. It's not really what I want to play.

For giggles, I solo'ed the two available maps of El templo de apophys, which is somewhat like the fabled Power Station in that you must get past tons of traps, but this time it's in a haunted temple. The temple architecture is fairly realistic. I had some problems on the second map -- I didn't hit the right button or trigger -- and some doors and walkways wouldn't activate. So the first map is fine, but the second is bugged. Or I'm an idiot. Don't answer that.  :mad1:

The Agony of Mankind is a really good set of two maps set in a hotel, and then in a downtown area. Lots of fun to play, so this campaign is recommended.

Also recommended is SubAway Train, which offers two maps set in the subway system. It's pistols only, but don't let that bug you too much.

Both the following start out promising in the first maps available and are recommended, but their second maps are in beta: Brain4Dead and Death Knell. For Brain4Dead, I couldn't get the second map to load at all, either by completing the first map, or by using the console to jump to the map, so it may be a buggy release on L4D Maps; I dl'd it again from the author's site HERE. For Death Knell, the first map is excellent, but the second map is still in alpha stage, so it's not truly worth playing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:41:27 PM by bobdog »

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 10:23:58 AM »
IGN posted their top 3 custom maps recently. One of these is Dam It!, which we already played (although I wouldn't mind playing it again!) while the others are survival maps called Supermarket Funtimes and UnStable. The reviews look interesting, so I wouldn't mind trying those ones out if you guys are up for them.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 08:12:39 AM »
A new complete beta campaign called Last Stop slipped in out of nowhere and got itself a respectable 3.00 score. Think we should put this up at the top of our list? ;D

Offline bobdog

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »
Downloading.... we'll give it a shot.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
After running through Last Stop with bobdog and Josh, there is quite a bit of potential. The campaign still needs quite a bit of spit-polish in the middle 3 maps, the level design gets repetitive after a while, but there's still some glimmers of talent in there. I personally quite liked the finale, and a spot on the second level (although it caught me by surprise) which two tanks were spawned. Have those molotovs ready!

Another slew of maps have been uploaded to the site. Of the lot, two got my attention:

Gore Factory, a single map that appears to be in the same mini-campaign vein as Dam It. Unlike Dam It however, Gore Factory contains Versus support. Oh, and it's been rated at 5.0 after 876 downloads. Might be worth a look....

And the latest version of the survival map The Winchester, based on the pub from one of my all-time favorite movies, Shaun of the Dead. Fans will recognize several details from the movie, including the rifle on the bar, the unlocked back entrance (unless you want to break a window ;)), the trapdoor behind the bar leading into the basement, and even the service elevator that lets you escape back onto the street if things get too bad inside. I'll be trying this map out on principle alone, anyone is welcome to join.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 10:20:01 PM »
Just finished Gore Factory..... and it's really different in a good way! The map is small, but well-designed (playthrough took me only 20 minutes), but what makes the map stand out is that the author seems to have taken a page from what Valve plan to do with finales for Left 4 Dead 2. Instead of defending a single area from waves of hordes before you escape, you hit a switch on one end of the map that unlocks the exit area on the opposite end. The finale consists of fighting THROUGH the horde (a seemingly larger horde than normal) forcing you to take an offensive approach instead of the standard defensive. It's a good way to mix things up, but it's easy to get lost and confused if you're haven't grasped what's happening or forget where the locked exit door is. I kinda feel bad for the guy who joined in halfway through the map. ;D

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »
It's been a very long time since we got together for some L4D maps, and there's some good-looking ones to choose from! First on the list: Dead City is finished! Even unfinished, Dead City was a lengthy and well-designed set of maps and now we can actually go back through and finish it properly. We also have 7 Hours Later, which keeps getting updated before I have a chance to play it, but is reviewing favourably. Night Terror was already attempted by bobdog and I, but some glitches both within the map and on the server bogged things down a bit. I recommend we try Night Terror on a local server, since all the ones running it have scripts set up to spit more messages than are necessary back at you. Finally, Heaven Can Wait has been around since the early L4D mapping phase, but was completed within the last couple of months. I never played the beta, and the screenshots look great, so I'd be hapy to give it a shot. Actually, I'd be happy to give any of them a shot! I'll be free starting tomorrow night to tackle some of these with anyone interested!

everything