Author Topic: L4D Custom Maps  (Read 23418 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: L4D Custom Maps
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 02:06:16 PM »
As I explained to LB, I went on va-ca for a week, and then had family in for a week, so it unfortunately curtailed the more important things ... like L4D!!  :lol:  However, I was home free yesterday, so I went on an L4D tear, with a review of the following:

Night Terror -- As LB mentioned, he and I and several other hapless pubs attempted this one and got stymied at the third map (a recreation of LOTR's Mines of Moria), which caused a bug. [LB -- I was able to click on the "OK" box in SP and it went away, but couldn't get it to work on co-op.] The third map is ultra hard, especially the horde that hits in the mines, and the perilous staircases that Smokers pull you off! The fourth map is based on a Tintin book, and the last pays homage to The Evil Dead (but no hands crawling about....). The gimmicky map designs actually pulled me out of the L4D atmosphere, so it's not real high on my personal replay list.

7 Hours Later is an extremely well done map -- very highly recommended. Great finale event too.

Heaven Can Wait also excels in its design. The hardest part was the cemetary at the end with the NEVERENDING HORDE OF ZOMBIES!!! In SP, I died at this part SIX times (stupid bots!!  :mad1:) I finally pulled back after triggering the event and let the zombies come at us in single file (while I cowered in the corner....).

NEW: Anti-NWO is a VERY good set of four mostly outside maps. The 4th map is ultra-huge, allowing you to take one of two lengthy paths to the end.

NEW: Back to School has added the third of its planned 5 maps, and is a pretty good play.

UPDATE: Coal'd Blood has been updated with its final 4th map, although maps 3 and 4 are still in beta development. The 3rd had a problematic elevator lift, while the 4th sets you up in a depot of some sort, with a harried finale event before lifting off in a helicopter.

UPDATE!!
NEW CAMPAIGNS TO CONSIDER:
- Black City (Silent Hill) - five maps for complete campaign
For some reason, the first map loads up the first map of Back to School -- both are named "Forest" so maybe it's getting confused? When I opened with the second map, however, it went fine from there. Very good campaign and challenging finale event. I don't think it's based on Silent Hill game.
- Greenie Freeways - three of five maps complete
After placing the vpk map file in the "Addons" directory, it doesn't show up on my campaign list... I'll try it in the "Add-ons" folder and see if that works.
- Cold Fear - three of five maps complete
This set of 3 maps is very good also -- will be fun to play through.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:06:45 AM by bobdog »

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 04:01:02 PM »
Guess who's ready to join the party? :bouncyred:

Got all my computer issues sorted out (faulty video card) and am ready to rock!  I don't know how all our schedules match up, but weekends would probably work best for me.  I haven't actually played any custom maps yet, so you'll have to excuse my naivete for the time being.  For instance, are you guys still manually loading these up, or have you switched over to using Valve's recent add-on campaign option?

The good news, at least, is that we'll get to play Crash Course when it comes out in September, after which point I'll finally get around to reviewing Left 4 Dead proper.  I'd always felt the original release fell a little bit short, content-wise (four campaigns and only half supported versus play), but the two DLCs look to remedy that nicely.  Besides, how could I honestly review one of the greatest co-op games there is without first playing with friends?
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 06:06:14 PM »
Woo hoo indeed!!! :bouncyred:

We'd be glad to school ... er ... guide you to how L4D plays  :lol: , and welcome aboard!! Generally, Little Bugger, Josh and I play in thee evenings from 9pm ET on, since we're all in the same time zone. That would be 6pm PT, I believe, and you may not be ready/able to play that early. First things first, we need to get "friend-ed" on Steam. Ours are easy:

You should go through all the initial maps in campaign at least once so you know what to expect. Then we can train on how vs. mode works and then move you on to the new custom content, some of which is better than the originals.

If you're familiar at all with loading HL2 maps, then you'll get the hang of it quickly. Since Valve came out with the VPK system for L4D maps, that's the recommended way to go, since every player can have the same map on hand -- the manual way was just too complex. However, the load route should be similar to this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\addons
Look forward to gaming with you!  :onethumb:

Forum Restriction Notice
Some of the content of this post is not visible for  Guests.
You must be logged in to view the full content.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 02:12:17 AM »
Generally, Little Bugger, Josh and I play in thee evenings from 9pm ET on, since we're all in the same time zone. That would be 6pm PT, I believe, and you may not be ready/able to play that early.
Right, seeing as I work a swing shift (3:00pm to 11:30pm PST) it'll have to be a weekend gig for me.

First things first, we need to get "friend-ed" on Steam. Ours are easy:
Apparently not quite that easy--the name you gave for Josh doesn't work!   In the meantime, mine's as follows:

Forum Restriction Notice
Some of the content of this post is not visible for  Guests.
You must be logged in to view the full content.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 11:05:12 AM »
Well, maybe Josh isn't REALLY my friend ... I mean, he has left me to the mercies of the hordes on many an occasion .... come to think of it, that Josh guy just stinks!!  :lol:

I'll have to let him friend you then, because that's the name I've got for him. But maybe this Sat/Sun we can strike up the band, depending on everyone's schedules.

Actually, go ahead and DL Death Aboard and Dead City (links below) as those will be good campaigns to play on outside the regulars.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »
I'll have to let him friend you then, because that's the name I've got for him.
Well, I went ahead and added the name you gave minus the hyphen, so hopefully that's him.

Actually, go ahead and DL Death Aboard and Dead City (links below) as those will be good campaigns to play on outside the regulars.
* Doc_Brown stares really hard "below"

Y'know what, I'll just snag them from www.l4dmods.com  ;)

Offline bobdog

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »
You just aren't LOOKING hard enough!!! See, I see them RIGHT BELOW ME RIGHT NOW!!!

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 02:30:29 PM »
* Doc_Brown looks real, REAL hard.

Ooh!  I see them now!  You are, of course, talking about Left 4 Dead at its funniest and grandest, right?

Offline bobdog

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
Oh, look above....  :smoking:

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »
Have you ever come across something that provided lots of entertainment, like say, a website providing custom campaigns for a popular video game? And you spent a lot of time on this something with friends, until you knew all the ins and outs, and new content felt like it arrived few and far between? So eventually you move on to something else more interesting? But then, say, 2 months later you glance at this something, and find that in the time you were gone there are MANY MANY EXCITING THINGS available?

No? Never happened? Well, I'll explain it to you when you're older.

On an unrelated note, L4DMaps has several new completed campaign and versus maps available, most of which are rated surprisingly high and have some sweet looking screenshots compared to the average/decent maps from when the site was founded. And since it's been a while since we had a solid team match-up, I suggest we look into these right away. Here's a list of the ones I noticed:

Vienna Calling - "They could take a look at the precious sights of Vienna, at the ancient catacombs, the famous recreation areas, or all the other places of interest, if they would not be hunted by millions of hungry, undead Austrians."

Suicide Blitz - "Survivors must make their way through an infected city to escape the zombie apocalypse."

MIC: Military Industrial Complex - "You start out in a shipping dock and work your way deep into the fabled Safe Zone only to find Zombies have already breached the perimeter. One level has you traveling on a train while being attacked from all sides. Lots of Explosions and Eye Candy."

Death Row - "Survivors must battle their way through a city to a prison on the outskirts of town, get inside and radio for assistance."

Black Out - "Black Out is a campaign featuring 4 maps. It starts on a stretch of road and ends with a "gauntlet" style finale where you must escape out of a subway tunnel. Reccomended difficulty is advanced."

Death Stop - "1st time mapper - Get to the Truck Stop - It is a shortish 4 map Co-Op campaign, It's a little rough.. will fix a few things up down the track a bit.. If you find there are to many Items, easy fix for-now, Don't pick them up! ;)" This camp has been updated a few times since this initial complaint, and reviews are much more positive now.

They Did What? - "Your hapless band of misfits picked the mouth of this creek to land their sinking dingy. You hoped for safety. Welcome to disappointment village. Population YOU."

Fly Gabe Campaign - This campaign is not yet completed, but deserves a bit of an explanation. Remember the L4D2 Boycott group? Well, during that time, Valve flew two of the most vocal critics up to their offices to show them whether what they'd developed so far was worthy of creating an entire sequel, which went a long way to rebuilding the trust between Valve and its fans. Meanwhile, an L4D Modder sent a tongue-in-cheek email asking why he hadn't been flown to Valve so he could preview his campaign, to which Gabe Newell responded by boycotting his campaign. The modder, not one to be discouraged, raised the money to bring Valve's Gabe and Erik to Austrailia to preview his work. Everyone involved seems to be having a good laugh over the whole affair, and the two completed maps are available from L4DMaps as the "Fly Gabe Campaign".
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:25:10 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline bobdog

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
Sorry -- I've been on the road nonstop the last 3 weeks -- very recently in Doc's neck of the woods! Can you do an initial cull, and then maybe we can attempt soon?

Offline bobdog

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 04:40:32 PM »
So I'm in the process of dl'ing and playing some of the maps LB mentions above.

Suicide Blitz is a great 5 map-pack that culminates in a football field finale. I liked!  :onethumb:

Military Industrial Complex is challenging and requires real people instead of bots to undertake all the pathfinding necessary to escape the various traps and whatnot. I only made it into the second of 6 maps, and it is definitely very challenging. Not sure if it's a keeper or not, but once we go thru as a group, we'll be able to figure out more.

I'd also like to add Dark Blood, which has 2 of 3 maps complete and is set inside a tanker ship. It is similar to Death Aboard, but not a copycat effort. Maps are intuitive, challenging and nicely detailed. Definitely worth playing.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »
Death Stop isn't bad either. It starts off well-designed, albeit generic, but ends with an intense battle at a gas station diner. Make sure you move it for the escape vehicle real fast: I got turned around somehow and got trapped on the wrong side of a parking lot swarming with infected!

Death Row starts you off in a surprisingly detailed run-down apartment building (most of the apartment doors will actually open for you), then has you make your way out of the city to a set of prison levels before the finale. The prison is also similar to Death Aboard, and again, not a copycat.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 07:05:08 AM »
I played Death Stop through with bots, and it was really good. Funny part was on the finale, as the escape vehicle arrived, Bill and Francis ran out in front of it and got splatted!  :hammerhead:  I was laughing so hard, I almost didn't make it past the oncoming zombies!  :turnhappy:  I found the best spot was simply to hold out behind the counter, and trap the tank inside, and just shoot him through the window.

LB and I gave Vienna Calling a run-through -- not bad at all, and the intro movie starts you in a clock tower, which was cool.

Also played the first map of Fly Gabe campaign solo -- also good. However, when LB and I attempted to try a team game, we kept getting booted out of the game, and even out of Steam!! So, might need to wait on another update for this.

Still haven't tried They Did What? yet, so that's on my list.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
Cold Case -- wow, where to start with this one? It's like TWO campaigns, with some extremely lengthy maps and new challenges -- I haven't even run all the way through it yet for one whole time!! Lots of special infected tossed at you at once, including one map that had TWO tanks, followed by FIVE witches perched on a bridge crossing. Maps are long and take at least 45-60 minutes each to get through. Lots of zombies -- on two maps I cranked 600+ kills each, while on the third map I only had 23 because it was more of a puzzle map (neat idea for L4D).

Definitely need a full team to work through it. I've only managed to get toward the end of map 4, and then died when 3 smokers pulled the remaining survivors at once....