Author Topic: L4D Custom Maps  (Read 23741 times)

Offline mfw41

Re: L4D Custom Maps
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »
I just found a new 5 map pack for you guys to try out called: “I Hate Mountains”

This is a Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 campaign made by three French friends. Be aware that this campaign is built the Valve way, we are not trying to revolutionize anything, we just want to provide more content to this awesome game. The campaign is divided into five different maps, just like Valve did with their own campaigns in Left 4 Dead 1. The difference is that ours is entirely nature-oriented, there’s only a few building and most of the action takes place in outdoor environments, which is a challenge to build in itself. We also focused our development on offering a better re-playability by providing several long alternate paths in the levels that can totally change the way you play it.

http://ww.moddb.com/mods/i-hate-mountains/downloads/i-hate-mountains-11

And if anybody is interested her is a link to a trailer for this map pack:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/i-hate-mountains/videos/i-hate-mountains-trailer#imagebox

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2010, 07:40:57 PM »
Impressive trailer!  Downloading now.  Hopefully we can get the team together for a play through...
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2010, 08:26:09 PM »
DLing -- looks fun. Although the main camera guy was a horrible shot and kept shooting his comrades in the back. Reminded me of Doc....  :smoking:

Offline bobdog

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2010, 07:10:13 AM »
So I Hate Mountains (L4D1) is good -- very good. And it was helpful to have a full crew available for it, as the multiple paths through dense, dark forests are filled with zombie minions. Standouts from the 5 maps included the crazy mansion level, where zombies are popping through every hole while you try to make it to the escape helicopter in time; a creepy crypt level where you have to continue navigating ever downward; a frantic train track level; and the standout finale with a new water-borne escape vehicle. This is a great mod, and well worth playing multiple times.

So while I was in the mood, I decided to give Crossing Over (L4D1) a shot. The seemingly oversized maps set in a rural farm community are effectively eerie simply because of the distance between everything. Especially when you add corn -- miles and miles of corn. I don't think any vegetable is more creepy than corn....  :-X  Any way, the authors have developed some new events set in the rural landscape, as well as let you climb up some granary elevators. And the finale is a multi-tasking behemoth that will require quick thinking and fleet feet to survive. Also highly recommended.

Finally, I ended with Fallen (L4D1), an interesting, extremely challenging map-pack set somewhat in a Japanese environment. I say somewhat because there's only a Japanese "feel" to the map, rather than actual Japanese graphical items. Playing on Normal with bots, this campaign took me two hours to finish, so I would not recommend ratcheting it up to Advanced (DOC!!!). It is devilishly hard at times, but manages to keep your interest picqued. Two of the levels were truly challenging: one has you going up and around a tall, circular tower; while the other level was a multi-tiered ravine you navigate in and around, requiring some tricky jumps and crafty use of bombs. And the finale ... wow! It was one of the most unique finales I've ever seen -- let's just say I hope you don't get airsick....

So, the first two are highly recommended, and the third is recommended for play-through at least once. Enjoy!

Offline bobdog

« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
We obviously haven't teamed up in a while, but maybe we should attempt to make some plans sometime in the coming days (weeks, months....).

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
Definately agreed, I've missed playing with you guys (though to be fair, since they brought back Last Man on Earth I've been playing nothing but that...).
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2010, 01:14:46 PM »
Agreed! I've got next week off, and can work around others schedules, if anybody is up for it then!

Also, we MUST make time in October, when this comes out. To sum it up: L4D gets a new campaign called "The Sacrifice", while L4D2 gets both "The Sacrifice" and "No Mercy". Also, based on the somewhat unclear descriptions, we'll either be getting melee weapons in L4D OR playable original characters in L4D2. Either way, Zoey gets a chainsaw. :laugh:

Offline bobdog

« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »
Wow -- the new DLC could be mucho cool!  :onethumb:

As for schedules, I've got a trip mid-week next week and wouldn't be available until maybe Thursday or Friday. But I'll try to get on Steam sometime this week and see if anyone else is around.