Author Topic: Bobdog's Mini-Reviews Thread  (Read 94759 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Bobdog's Mini-Reviews Thread
« Reply #585 on: February 10, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »
Educational games generally have a spotty track record – either they are so simple that they are geared toward 3-year-olds, or they just can’t capture the attention of a teenager. Odyssey: The Story of Science does a better job than most to impart education as well as some gameplay elements, but it is still imperfect.

We start the game as we hear a distress signal from a small Caribbean island. As we tie up to the dock, we understand that the people in jeopardy developed a series of educational tests to keep ill-educated pirates out, but to allow “smarter” individuals in. And then we begin collecting the first batch of notes from a 13-year-old girl, which relates to their experience on the island, including the pirate attacks, but also details the different tests created.

To truly appreciate the game, you’ll really have to put your brain on a 2-part wavelength. First, the 250 pages of notes written by the 13-year-old are simplified for better ease of understanding, but you’ll eventually call BS on how the girl is able to create all these models used for the tests. Second, even though you’ve got all these notes, the key paragraphs of information to run the tests is highlighted. This was appreciated, although it is certainly worth reading the rest to get the full context of the story, which relates to the original scientific method that ancient philosophers and scientists used to determine whether the earth was round or flat, whether the sun revolved around the earth or vice versa, and how gravity affects bodies in motion. It’s all very intriguing and the notes generally helped solve the tests, although I did require a few YouTube breaks to solve several tests.

As a “game,” you get to explore the island chain and an underground cavern, but it isn't super fun from a gameplay perspective. It’s more about doing a test, getting more notes, doing the next test, getting more notes, etc. The ending itself is extremely dissatisfying, but the rest of Odyssey is certainly worth exploring. 7.2 out of 10

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Bobdog's Mini-Reviews Thread
« Reply #586 on: February 17, 2020, 01:23:49 PM »
I’ve played plenty of mature games, but The Dark Inside Me: Chapter 1 seems to be going for the “disturbed just to be disturbed” route. Supposedly coming from a horror movie director, the game truly glorifies violence against women, with lots of full frontal nudity on display, and several rape scenes. Your character also has the opportunity to personally kill women, or to spare them if you so choose.

The Dark Inside Me is a 2.5D adventure game, with lots of pixel-hunting, and back-and-forth between scenes to find objects, or to grab objects once they are needed – all of which I hate as a game player. If I am to possibly need an object later on, let me pick it up the first time I encounter it! The graphics are decent, with some good character models and level design, but they certainly aren’t cutting-edge.

The story is relatively interesting but doesn’t make much sense. The opening cut-scene looks like a Hellraiser rip-off, and then we wake up to your character bandaged in a hospital bed. Once you escape the hospital, you then have a flashback to a character in the Auschwitz concentration camp, which is extremely disturbing with lots of frozen naked bodies all over the place. Although this is probably an honest depiction of the horrors that took place, it seems to still glorify female nudity rather than put the emphasis on the horror element. After the flashback, you somehow zap back to the modern day, and then encounter ghastly creatures in an apartment complex, again emphasizing their nudity.

The main character has a horrible rasp-whisper that he uses to explain things, which was extremely annoying. Supposedly this has an additional 4 or 5 chapters left, but Chapter 1 left me with such a sour taste that I don’t feel the urge to continue the series. 6.6 out of 10

everything