Author Topic: A couple of Side-Scrolling Puzzle Games  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
A couple of Side-Scrolling Puzzle Games
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:46:19 PM »
These games have been out for a while, but I've poking at them again and figured I'd give you something fun to play. All links go to Armor Games to be uniform and because some of the other links gave me difficulties.

Closure
This is a very atmospheric puzzle game that still creeps me out when I play it. You play as the unfortanate victim of a car crash left to wander through either purgatory or the dark landscape of your mind.... it's not really made clear, since the story is really more of a setting backdrop for the unique gameplay. The levels are barely lit by small globes of light that reveal only the area immediately around. The problem is that you can only interact with the lit environment while anything unlit practically ceases to exist: attempting to walk on unlit ground will send you plunging into an abyss. Sometimes the darkness can benefit you, since walls and floors can be passed simply by moving a light globe to a position where the illumination won't reach it, and then jumping through. Altogether it makes for a moody gameplay experience. Closure is also being completely remade for a commercial release that will use a upgraded visuals and physics, and although the release platform is undecided, I'm guessing Steam and XBOX Arcade are likely candidates. A gameplay demo was offered at PAX, here's a video.

Shift
The Shift series of games has a much more humorous tone compared to Closure, taking some cues from the paranoid black humor of Portal. In fact there may be more Portal references then and in-jokes then there should be, but they don't surpass the original gameplay. In each game you take a protagonist through a series of rooms with white backdrops with black filler for walls, floors, and stairs. To reach the door, your character uses an ability to shift from the white backdrop into the black, allowing you to pass barriers or gain access to keys and items that can help you. The sequels add onto this concept, adding items that redirect flow of gravity, multiple endings, and for the final installment, other characters that you can switch between to gain access to new areas. Together they make a fun way to kill a few hours.
Shift
Shift 2
Shift 3
Shift 4

And now that I'm thinking about Portal....

Portal: The Flash Version!
It's Portal remade as a flash side-scroller. Nuff said!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:52:51 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: A couple of Side-Scrolling Puzzle Games
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:40:44 PM »
Wow -- the physics/scripting in Closure are pretty amazing.

everything