Author Topic: Left 4 Dead: The Foxhole Four  (Read 6496 times)

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Left 4 Dead: The Foxhole Four
« on: November 01, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »
Alright, I finally got done with my L4D review, there's a steady supply of quality user made campaigns coming out, the demo for L4D2 goes public in a few days, the full game will be out in a few weeks... and we just ain't playing together enough, IMO.

So the idea behind this thread is to get organized.  We need to figure out a consistent time to get together to play, although we can modify that time each week if we need to.  We can also use this thread to discuss what campaign(s) we're going to play, so that everyone can get them downloaded and installed beforehand. 

Assuming, of course, anyone's interested.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Left 4 Dead: The Foxhole Four
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:17:39 PM »
Generally after 9:30p ET for me, and weekends are up in the air because of family stuff.

Doc and I just played Cold Case, which was interestingly challenging  :onethumb: -- the second map of campaign took 40+ minutes, and I only had 23 kills! High use of witches (5 in one area; 2 in another small room), double tanks and double boomers. We only started 3rd map when I had to leave.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:47:56 AM »
My schedule is tricky, because my job calls mostly for evening shifts, and then weekends I could be doing all kinds of things. If I had to guess, I would say Sunday evenings are the ones you're most likely to find me free. Unless anyone wants to try the occasional after 11pm versus match! :onethumb:

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:33:30 PM »
I probably should have mentioned my own schedule when I started this thread, but weekends are probably best for me.  I'll try to make it a habit to log in to Steam Saturdays and Sundays, so just drop me a line if you want to play.

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
Aaaaaand as usual I'm the last one to show up for the party.

I'm typically home from work around 5:30 PM EST and able to play up until 11PM.  I have no life, so I'm pretty much available anytime in that span.  :lol:
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:38:36 AM »
Ah!  Now here's an idea.  Below are the maps I currently have installed, including rankings (using a five star system) for those that I've played all the way through.  I'm gonna limit it to finished campaigns, but I'll update the list as I play 'em.  If I'm around any given weekend and you're interested in a playthrough of any of these, just drop me a line.  

Five Stars
Coal’d Blood
Death Aboard
Death Stop
I Hate Mountains
Suicide Blitz

Four Stars
7 Hours Later
Arena of the Dead
Cape Murder
Carnage
Death Row

Three Stars
2 Evil Eyes (L4D2)
City17
Cold Case
Cold Fear
Dead City
Dead Industry
Dead Street
Die Screaming
Heaven Can Wait
No Space for Zombies (L4D2)

Two Stars
Chaos Theory

One Star

A quick reference guide for the rankings:
1 star = unplayable
2 stars = playable, but not recommended
3 stars = a mix of good and bad
4 stars = solid if not spectacular
5 stars = professional quality
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:48:16 AM by Doc_Brown »

Offline bobdog

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:59:43 AM »
I agree with all your rankings except for Dead City -- I think it's one of the better camps out there.

For Cold Case, try starting at the Forsaken maps, and it's a much more manageable affair as a campaign, although I think everyone should go through both at least once due to the thoughtful originality in them.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:31:37 PM »
I just replayed Dead City to see if I was mistaken, but came away feeling much the same.  There's just a... blandness... about the campaign, very little that stands out as memorable.  I mean, bring up something like Death Aboard and you immediately think of the tilted ship, the vertically-oriented finale.  Furthermore, the design is too blocky and lacks the detail it needs to sell itself as believable.  There are too many instances of square rooms with nothing in them, or sections that are seemingly copied and pasted elsewhere.  The latter, along with a lack of directional cues, can make it hard to tell where you're supposed to be going.  My latest campaigns were Suicide Blitz and Death Stop, which in contrast really nailed convincing cityscapes, not just in the little details but also with layouts that avoid overuse of ninety degree angles and straight lines.  They feel like real places... Dead City feels, I dunno, artificial I guess...

As for Cold Case... man, I don't know what to think.  I hopped into the final map of the campaign, the only one I haven't gotten to play yet, and got incapacitated by a Smoker while standing on an escalator's handrail.  For some inexplicable reason, my AI companions couldn't figure out to help me to my feet, so they just stood there watching me bleed out.  Rage quit!  Similarly, Forsaken starts with a Horde rush, which killed all my AI companions.  I pressed on alone, only to run into a Tank less than a minute later and, panicking, fell off a cliff.  Return of the rage quit!  I guess there are some campaigns that just shouldn't be played with bots...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:48:30 PM by Doc_Brown »

Offline bobdog

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 12:19:19 AM »
For the Foxhole Foursome, Josh and I would like to nominate Carnage, a four-map campaign that mixes inside and outside locales, and is a pretty tough slog. I impressed Josh when i told him I'd played through it with bots only, and they kept skipping ahead to the safe zones and stranding me!  ;D

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 01:49:30 AM »
Unless anyone has any objections, I'm thinking of deleting anything lower than four stars to cut down on the clutter and free up some harddrive space.  I will, however, keep any campaigns I've ranked three or lower if they happen to be favorites of yours and you'd like us to play them at some point in the future.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 11:13:14 AM »
But ... but ... but ... that would mean we'd never play Dead City again!!! And that's one of my favorites!!!  :'(  I know it has right-angles and all, but do you have to give it a 2?

In other news, we finally brought Rogue over to the dark side, as well as Unquenque (the intrepid 10-4 Forums reviewer who was the last to make Beattie cry by giving The Gate a poor score!  :smoking:), in what will be forever noted in the annals of L4D gaming as the Foxhole Forsaken!! All we need are Silver and Grey Mouser, and we'll be able to field a softball team! (Or at least a Foxhole versus team.)

Fun was had by all! Until a certain person [doc] who shall remain unnamed [doc] opted to make the skill difficulty Advanced. Why not just go Expert and really tear us a new one, unnamed person!! [doc]   :hammerhead:

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 01:38:55 PM »
Don't worry bobdog, I share the enthusiasm for Dead City, right angles be damned!! (I also sympathize that Heaven Can Wait must be cut from the list, but what can you do.) I do understand Doc's critisism's re: Dead City though, especially before the final update with the new textures. Still, what the campaign lacked in variety it made up for in scope, making the maps large enough to feel as though you were actually walking through one end of an abandoned city to the other. The only camp that pushed this farther was Naniwa City, although it had even less of the visual appeal/scope balance.

Even so, the addons do start taking up a lot of space after a while. I recently went through my addon folder to purge those that I'd lost interest in or barely played, bringing myself down to a list of favourites/ones I'd enjoy replaying, making things a little easier when I back them up, so Dead City or Heaven Can Wait will be there for Foxhole Fours wanting someone to join them for a runthrough!

Hmmm.... you know that title "The Foxhole Four" sounds like it could be an L4D campaign in itself, couldn't it? Imagine: You start out in the ruined military base "Hangar 16", then make your way into a City where you cut across Bobdog's "Cats of Doom" Petshop and "Silver's Dumpster". (The dumpster perpetually spawns zombies, and contact with the dumpster starts a Boomer Vomit effect followed by death.) The survivors defend a refueling airplane that will take them to France, where Starfox has constructed a giant underground base code-named "The Foxhole", of which the only entrance is a giant elevator that takes a finale length of five minutes to open........ Hmmm.....

*downloading L4D authoring tools* :lol:

Offline bobdog

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 08:05:01 PM »
And now our victory over you is complete ... Doc Brown and Rogue Wolf. You have seen the POWER of the dark side ... and if you will not join us ... then YOU WILL DIE!!!!  *lightning shoots out of hands in pretty sparkles*

In other words, we finally got Doc and Rogue to join in their first Versus games in L4D!! And both did extremely well, skunking me numerous times and gaining achievements by the dozen. Congrats guys!  :ok:   [Although it was the lag that kept me from doing my best ... really!   ;)  ]

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 02:25:09 PM »
Alright, alright, enough!  I'm revising my policy to drop anything below three stars rather than four.  To that end, I've bumped Dead City up to three and have finally rated Cold Case, also a three.  At this point, then, the only campaign I'll be deleting is Chaos Theory.  Cold Case, Dead City, Dead Industry, and Heaven Can Wait will remain on my harddrive for the odd occasion where we've overplayed the five- and four-star camps and need something to tide us over.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 05:04:22 PM »
Thank you, thank you, oh great and powerful Doc!! The DICKcissels and NUThatches will sing your praises, the COCKs will crow, the people of PHUKet will rejoice, and the SHITake mushrooms will marinate in your chewy goodness. All WILL be right with the world, and it will all be due to you and your gracious benevolence.

All Hail the Mighty Doc -- DOC, DOC, DOC, DOC, DOCCCCCCCCCCC

(Oh, and we'll also get to play some games with right angles too! Sweet!)

;D

everything