Author Topic: The L4D2 Demo...  (Read 6644 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
The L4D2 Demo...
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:17:10 PM »
... is out for public use on Steam!

If you're online in about an hour you'll be able to give it a run-through with me.

Or at least you'll be able to once I've figured out LB's Steam password.... heh heh heh..... :lol:

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
Re: The L4D2 Demo...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:40:28 PM »
Just downloaded it myself. Played through the first two maps of the Parish scenario.

I have to admit, there is a LOT different here. Way more guns available, and very few ammo caches- you're going to have to get comfortable with a variety of weapons. No more riding the autoshotty for all it's worth. The Spitter is just as bad as I feared, and the Jockey... man, that little bugger (no offense, LB ;) ) is tough to hit. Got a hold of me six different times!

I also can't fault the decision to have stages in the daylight. It's a different feel from the first L4D, sure, but I kinda like it, if only because I get lost less. It also showcases the dismemberment mechanics for the Common Infected, too- and man, does it get gooey. Get a towel!

I'm going to play through the single-player bit again before I go to bed. Maybe this weekend I might fire it up and mess around with you guys.
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 11:43:55 PM »
Not bad, not bad at all. The main concern I'd had going in was the visuals, which I wasn't sure would run properly on my reliable, but slightly slow system. No need to worry though: the improvements, while noticeable, don't make the game unplayable. I had significantly more lags than most of the original's campaigns, but only a couple of moments in the range of the Dead Air finale. The gore is up significantly, with far more detail on exploding limbs (and even the middles of torsos! Wheee!) and the machete definitely leaves a mark. What impressed me more though were the sounds: I thought the New Orleans themed music made for a refreshing change (try out the jukebox in one of the buildings,) and the sound of the frying pan twang brought a tear to my eye.

I'm almost sold on getting this for the 17th..... just going to try tweaking the system just a little more before making the final leap. Maybe I'll run through the demo with you guys sometime soon!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:35:32 AM by Little Bugger »

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:14:59 AM »
Alright... I'll DL the demo and have it ready for this weekend....  :redhot:

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:03:59 AM »
Why the angry face, bobdog? Were you not looking forward to the demo?

Or.... did we play ahead when we were supposed to wait for you? :(

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
A few thoughts:

You definately have more to consider now when it comes to the secondary weapons as well, what with dual pistols, a single magnum, or any one of the melee weapons.  Apparently I'm a closet psychopath because I always go for the melee weapons, and man does it get messy...  At one point I was backed into a corner with one point of health on expert difficulty and was able to hold off the horde for much longer than you'd expect.

They've made some interesting tweaks to the health and throwable systems as well.  The shock pads are an intriguing option, though it makes me wonder how rare Survivor closets will be this time out.  And while the Boomer Bile isn't really a valid offensive weapon (Tanks plow through hordes already, so summong one will just make things worse once the effects wear off), it lasts for such a long time that it comes in handy when you need to keep a horde off your back but not necessarily kill them (like making a run for the rescue vehicle).

Lastly, just as a bit of speculation here, but I have a hunch Hard Rain is going to be my favorite campaign.  Don't ask me why, it's just a feeling I've got, but then again I've got a soft spot for Death Toll too.  Don't get me wrong, No Mercy's a close second, but still...
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 03:00:44 PM »
Just for fun, how about coming up with potential achievement names before the release? And see how many we get close to right:

Guitar Hero -- kill 25 zombies with guitar melee weapon
Chop Suey OR Cuts Like a Knife -- kill 25 zombies with machete
Out of the Frying Pan Into the Fire -- kill 25 zombies with frying pan
L.A. Police Special -- kill 25 zombies with police baton
Flame On -- kill 25 zombies with one molotov
Human Pinata -- as a Smoker, hang a Survivor until killed by zombies
Slip and Slide -- as a Smoker, pull a Boomer-vomited survivor for 50 feet

What else do you think?

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:44:09 AM »
Survivor Genocidest -- Kill 53,595 Survivors as a Special Infected!

On reflection, maybe taking out 53,595 survivor health points is more realistic, but what the hey, someone's still going to achieve it.

I just finished the pre-load now, and unless there are any immediate Valve updates, I will be online and ready to start at midnight tonight. Who's with me?

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »
A Dose Of Your Own Medicine- splash a Boomer with a Bile Bomb
Goo Times Two- afflict all four Survivors with Boomer vomit, and catch them all in a Spitter goo puddle
Law And Order- kill one of each Special Infected with a nightstick, including a Tank
El Kabong- kill one of each Special Infected with a guitar, including a Tank
Carving the Tankey- kill a Tank with the chainsaw
Inspector Callahan- clear an entire Scenario using only the Magnum handgun
Variety Is the Spice of Death- score kills with ten different weapons during a single Scenario

I'm preloading L4D2 right now. Decided, well, I'm going to get it anyway, might as well save five bucks!
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »
That was my logic as well!

Don't Stop Me Now -- Kill a Tank using only pool cues ;D

Okay, so I don't think pool cues are in the game..... but they SHOULD be for that reference alone.

I'd also like to make clear for tonight: I call Coach!

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »
Unfortunately, cash is a little tight right now  :(, but after the New Year I should be able to join in the fun.

(Hopefully we can still play the customs maps together until then  ;)
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline bobdog

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 07:39:01 PM »
Ditto with me -- there will inevitably be a good price cut around Christmas.

Don't worry Josh -- you and I can still play together!  :funup:

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 12:18:15 AM »
Hey, I'll still be playing the original with you guys! Just running through some "exclusive" campaigns as well! ;D

It's 1 AM, and the game is "out", although the pre-load still hasn't been released yet while the Store page keeps hiccuping over trying to release the news. :redhot: On the bright side, achievements have been released, and can be viewed from the Steam profiles of anyone who owns the game. Nothing I've noticed that's EXACTLY like our suggestions but some that are similar, like "Confederacy of Crunches" for surviving a campaign using only melee weapons.

And it's out! Later!

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 03:04:27 AM »
Alright, my first impressions after completing the first campaign and poking around the other gameplay modes are very good. :ok: There's lots of nice additions and variations to the original game, especially in regards to the creative reworkings for the finale and crescendo events. The sequel also appears to be much harder than the original, so keep that in mind for when you're playing. Part of this is because of the increased horde swarms, but I also played on single-player and the bots appear to be a little less on the ball compared to the original team. I'm sure this will get balanced in future updates, and while I don't mind the shift, the fact that you cannot take a defensive position to survive crescendos and finales makes teamwork even more important than before.

Looking forward to when the Foxhole Four can regroup!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:56:07 AM by Little Bugger »

Offline bobdog

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 08:28:29 AM »
Although our foursome seems to be growing! With Rogue and Unq now joining us on various ventures, maybe we should change the name to the Foxhole 4Saken!!   :onethumb: