Author Topic: Dino D-Day  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Dino D-Day
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »
Dino D-Day is an upcoming commercial FPS shooter for the Source engine to be released sometime in 2010. The premise attempts to breath new life into the generic World War II shooter by adding what was clearly missing the whole time: DINOSAURS.

Quote from: The Escapist
Dino D-Day is a FPS slated for release in 2010, where the player is in the shoes of famous-paleontologist-turned-soldier Sgt. Jack Hardgrave fighting in the Northern African campaign of the Second World War. Of course, in real life, the Allies in the African theater just had to contend with the military mind of Erwin Rommel. In Dino D-Day, the Nazis have resurrected the dinosaurs.

Sound exciting and can't wait to play? Well, you're in luck, because the creators have released a working beta as a Half-Life 2 Mod!

Quote from: KokuGamer
Abe: In the mod version you’ll see a Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptor and a Triceratops.  In the finished game you’ll see quite a few more.  We have first-pass versions of a Pterosaur and a Utahraptor in the game right now (the in-house build).  We’re adding a Desmatosuchus (not technically a dinosaur but looks cool and will work great in the game) very soon.  I also hope to have a smaller raptor-type dinosaur – probably a Compsagnathus – and a smaller pterosaur (something crow-sized).  Oh yeah, there will also be a Brachiosaur in there too.  And maybe some other surprises, the final list is still being worked out.

Dino D-Day website
Download Mod
Read an article
Read an interview with developer Abe Scheurmann
After reading all this, why not one more interview?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:19:53 AM by Little Bugger »

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Re: Dino D-Day
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
Back in the mists of time when I'd first heard about this, I got very excited.

Then I played the mod version, and was disappointed.

THEN I happen to be browsing the Steam Store page and stumbled across these:

And I'm ALL KINDS OF EXCITED ONCE AGAIN.

But then I see THIS

And I can't help but feel disappointment once again.  ???

Not to knock on the creator, for all I know this could be a very well-made multi-player game. If it's a free or crazy-cheap release, maybe I'll even give it a shot. But it's not going to be the single-player experience of child-like glee I'd been hoping for.

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »
Nothing like pulling that rug out from under you time and time again!  :funup:

The demo was "okay" but I sure wouldn't have paid for it as a release. The dinosaur skins were cool but they were too challenging as AI -- kept killing me non-stop. As MP, it doesn't interest me.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »
On the one hand, part of me knows this project isn't going to be the Jurassic Park of videogames..... but the three-year old me who thought Dinosaurs were AWESOME keeps piping up that the only way the project would be better is if the in-game Allieds had Dinosaurs too.

The dinosaur skins were cool but they were too challenging as AI -- kept killing me non-stop. As MP, it doesn't interest me.

But bobdog, clearly the MP was meant to cater to you by throwing out the AI and replacing it with players who either learn from their mistakes or spam the chat line incessentantly!

But honestly, Red Orchestra 2 is a little farther down the "Coming Soon" list, and it's looking like it'll be much better. If I had to choose a place to put my money, it would probably be that one.