Author Topic: L4D2: The Passing  (Read 7401 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
L4D2: The Passing
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »
Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!

While the datamined DLC hints found in the L4D2 demo back at the end of October turned out to be merely placeholders, it seems that there was a grain of truth to them: The game contained character portraits for the first four Left 4 Dead survivors as well as the new quartet, and the very first piece of DLC for the game will in fact bring both groups together.

Targeted for release on PC and Xbox 360 in early spring 2010, "The Passing" brings Zoey, Louis, Bill and Francis down South for a run-in with Coach, Rochelle, Ellis and Nick. According to the official press release, the new campaign takes place immediately after "Dead Center," the game's intro - after escaping the mall in Savannah thanks to the stock car of racing legend Jimmy Gibbs, Jr., the L4D2 survivors encounter the first quartet in a small rural Georgian town.

Okay.... calming down a bit..... I expect this could be more like the first L4D DLC, in which the brand-new content was relatively light, while the "new campaigns and maps" were really just versus and survival ports of maps we'd already played. So this will also likely be nothing to get worked up about....

Though the press release only mentions being able to play as the L4D2 cast in the normal campaign mode as they meet up with the L4D1 folk, it also says that "The Passing" will "include new arenas for Survival, Versus and Scavenge mode and introduce a new co-operative challenge mode of play." Presumably we'll be able to choose any of the eight in Survival and Scavenge, and this "new co-operative challenge mode" makes me think that there will be a mode specifically designed for all eight Survivors to be played at once - in other words, an official Left 16 Dead (16 if you include the zombies, that is).

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! :turnhappy:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:41:44 PM by Little Bugger »

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Re: L4D2: The Passing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:31:51 PM »
The Passing will be coming out sometime this month, and Valve have been quietly tossing out information in various interviews on what can be expected. Instead of linking multiple places, I've just dug up the Wikipedia quote with most of the relevant information.

Quote from: Wikipedia
On December 14, 2009, Valve announced the first DLC installment for Left 4 Dead 2, "The Passing". The release is set for late March 2010 and features the cast of Left 4 Dead 2 meeting with the survivors from the original Left 4 Dead. The campaign takes place between "Dead Center" and "Dark Carnival" and will be a full-length mission, unlike the "Crash Course" campaign for Left 4 Dead. The campaign will introduce a new uncommon infected in the form of the 'Fallen Survivor', a well-equipped zombie that may drop items the players can use, however for balancing reasons it will actually try to run away rather than fight, making the valuable items it carries harder to attain. Pricing announcements for the Xbox 360 will be made closer to the release date. The campaign is expected to be released in March; "in a month or so" following this, a campaign for Left 4 Dead will be released as a prequel to the events in "The Passing" describing how the original survivors became involved in the campaign.

The good news is that these sound like some interesting additions, and knowledge that the original game will also receive new content is always good to hear, even if it won't arrive right away. The bad news is that it looks like The Passing is going to have a price tag attached.

Quote from: HDReport
Traditionally, PC gamers have been treated to free content updates for Valve games, but Valve is labeling The Passing an “add-on,” and the press release states “pricing will be announced closer to launch.” So PC gamers will probably have to pony up some coin.

With such vague comments on pricing, it's hard to say whether these costs will be specific to the XBOX version or not. That said, it looks like Valve is viewing this addon as "the most important L4D addon ever", leaving me hoping that if there is a price tag attached, the amount of content we receive with it will be worthwhile.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:24:36 PM »
A new Passing update, perhaps the last before the mod is released, which when revealed will have a huge impact on both games:

WHO'S GONNA DIE?!?!

To summarize: the Passing will comprise of an addon for L4D2 and then a prequel for L4D. But by the time the original survivors arrive in L4D2..... there will be only three. :o

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »
Escapist sez' The Passing is out this Thursday, and discusses the new game modes.

New spoilerific-achievements mentioned in the L4D Blog although the specifically spoiler-centered ones will be mentioned beforehand.

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »
Heeeeeey, I'm off from work this Thursday!

If The Passing drops into our laps, I say we should make some magic happen. :biglaugh:
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:45:12 PM »
I think I'm feeling a sick day coming on.... *cough*

Nah, I'm not going that far. I will be staying up to see if it's released around midnightish, but Valve seems to be operating three hours earlier than I do, so I'm likely going to have to wait for Thursday proper. (Darn. :embarassed:)

If you need playmates during the day Rogue, how about you play with Valve? ;D

Quote from: L4D Blog
To celebrate the launch of "The Passing" DLC this Thursday Valve employees will be playing on the PC between 11am-5pm PDT and then on the 360 from 7pm-11pm PDT using special accounts. To play with someone from Valve just friend one of the following:

On PC:
L4D2_DEV_1, L4D2_DEV_2, L4D2_DEV_3, L4D2_DEV_4, L4D2_DEV_5, L4D2_DEV_6, L4D2_DEV_7, L4D2_DEV8, L4D2_DEV_9, L4D2_DEV_10

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »
I dunno if I'm good enough to play with the dev team. Plus, it just wouldn't be the same without having Doc around to blunder into my line of fire.... ;D
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 07:38:58 PM »
I dunno if I'm good enough to play with the dev team. Plus, it just wouldn't be the same without having Doc around to blunder into my line of fire.... ;D

Or me running a chainsaw through your back.  ;)
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
Gimme a couple days to get back online, and I'll gladly be your pincushion!  :onethumb:

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:45:01 AM »
Well, it's 11:42AM EDT... where's The Passing, Valve?

Wait... wait. Look, guys, I have this crazy thought rattling around in my head. Do you think maybe... the release was delayed somehow? I know it sounds insane, Valve would NEVER do that sort of thing, but still!

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 11:16:51 AM »
Well, it's 11:42AM EDT... where's The Passing, Valve?

Wait... wait. Look, guys, I have this crazy thought rattling around in my head. Do you think maybe... the release was delayed somehow? I know it sounds insane, Valve would NEVER do that sort of thing, but still!

Well, that's true, but it's already been delayed from its original release date back in March.  Plus the fact that they've been posting constantly on their blog all this week about the release.

My guess?  It'll come out this late afternoon or evening.

Edit:

Also, this:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »
After a brief amount of server chugging, I finally managed to get onto The Passing last night, and my response can be probably summed up in a resounding "huh"?

I haven't had much of a chance to try out the other new features, the biggest of which is the new Mutation game mode. The Mutation mode will offer one of the pre-existing gameplay modes with a slight tweak for a week. After four weeks, players vote on their favourite mutation, and it makes a return. This week's mutation is "Realism Versus". Upcoming mutations will include an undefined mode called "Bleed It Out" and at some point in the future, all survivors will get chainsaws that don't run out of gas. I can imagine that will clear the chainsaw achievement out for most players pretty quickly. Not quite the "play-as-original-survivors" that I was expecting, but it has potential.

As for the new campaign... I'm sorry to say it's not as good as I thought it would be. It has its fun moments, but its quality isn't consistent and it definately fell into the "overhyped" category. It's a three-map campaign that takes slightly longer than Crash Course, but doesn't really have any stand-out material that wasn't mentioned in the previews. I did enjoy the finale map for its size and scope alone, but it was blisteringly hard at first. There is a trick to surviving, but you're going to want a full team in case you don't figure it out right away (Rogue and I learned the hard way). Sadly, many custom campaigns stood out more than this one did for me. Maybe I'll feel better about it after another playthrough and I'll keep an eye on the weekly updates, but overall the expansion feels less like the game-changer to L4D we were promised, and more like a "Hey let's throw a bunch of things in there and see what sticks". And one of those thrown-in items just happened to be the inclusion of the original survivors, and the death of a survivor is almost an afterthought. But we'll see if it grows on me, and I'll start taking bets on whether the upcoming addon for L4D will do any better.

...this will also likely be nothing to get worked up about....

I should have listened to that wise man's words! :P

But at least I got a laugh out of this promotional trailer!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:09:36 AM by Little Bugger »

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 09:22:37 AM »
Nice trailer. I'm dl'ing now for eventual play through. MAYBE the L4D maps will be better realized???

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
I've got to concur with LB- for all the hype and hope we went through for this event, it fell far short of (my) expectactions. Our long-awaited "meeting" with the original Survivors was cut down to two short scenes and one final battle, and the maps themselves look and play like they were simply cut out of various pre-existing scenarios- map 1 from Hard Rain, map 2 from The Parish, and map 3 from Dead Center. Plus there's absolutely no sort of fanfare about the original Survivor who didn't make it- it's Bill- merely a body in an out-of-the-way room, which is a bit upsetting to those of us who liked the first crew.

The game "mutations" do sound a bit more interesting, especially the "Realism rules on Versus", which promises to be abso-freakin' grueling. But if you're looking for more of Valve's usually-stellar map design and storytelling, you may want to give "The Passing" a pass. Maybe it'll be more fun on Versus?

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 12:10:09 AM »
I had another playthrough and found myself enjoying things a little bit more, partly because the randomly chosen dialogue interactions between the original and new survivors had a bit more variety (including an actual mention about the loss of one of the survivors, and the new survivors would discuss the originals a little more along the way). It's short enough to make continued playthroughs relatively painless, so it's worthwhile to take another shot and see how it turns out. But there are a couple of things still holding me back.

One big issue I had with this campaign were sound problems, specifically for the new dialogue. In some areas, if you aren't standing directly beside a character who is speaking, you can barely hear them. This includes safe rooms, where I couldn't make out what people directly beside me were talking about. Hopefully that will get fixed in the future.

Also, the setting is so drab and unappealing compared to the vivid environments of other campaigns. A light rain is coming down in brown housing areas in the first map, obscuring your vision, and the sewer area is even worse for visibility. After the bright daylight campaigns (or at least varied dark environments) this seems to take a step backwards.

That said, I am warming up to the campaign a bit, but whether that appeal will be lasting is another matter.

everything