Author Topic: Killing Floor: Anyone Else Playing It?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
Killing Floor: Anyone Else Playing It?
« on: January 01, 2010, 05:06:50 PM »
So Steam, reflecting Gabe's infinite largesse, put Killing Floor on sale for $5 a couple of days ago. I figured, hey, why not? I grabbed it.

This game is something of a mixed bag. Visually, its themes could best be described as "neo-Quake". There are a lot of areas that are either dirty brown and burned out, or lit up in garish colors. Level construction looks more like something out of Q3A than the Source engine (although a lot of these levels are pretty open), though the textures that aren't some shade of brown aren't terrible. The sounds of the weapons and monsters are decent- except for the final boss, who seriously sounds like an office intern brought in to do a half-dozen lines- but the music is kind of corny... and the Trader needs to stick one of her "lovely big guns" in her mouth and pull the trigger. Usually I'm a sucker for a woman with a British accent but she seriously rubs me the wrong way.

The kicker here is the gameplay. There's a "solo" option, but on anything except the Beginner setting, you are simply not going to survive the entire map aone. Several of the larger monsters are extremely fast and resilient, and can take a good number of point-blank shotgun blasts while chasing you down and tearing you apart. Add to that the fact that the game loves spawning enemies right behind you as you're frantically backpedaling and you have a recipe for single-player frustration.

That's not to say that the game is hopeless- the guns are fairly well-balanced, and the welding mechanic exemplifies KF's "hole up and watch your backs" gameplay, as opposed to the L4D series's "keep on the move" motif. But a game like this demands teamwork that I worry will be difficult to find with random players on a public server.

I've got two guest passes if anyone's interested. ;)
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Re: Killing Floor: Anyone Else Playing It?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 04:30:56 PM »
I actually pre-ordered Killing Floor when it was first offered, since I happened to be looking at the original UT2004 mod the month before release, the discounted price seemed reasonable, and I greatly enjoyed Tripwire's previous game, Red Orchestra. At the time, lots of comparisons were being made with L4D, which is fairly reasonable (co-op gameplay against infected hordes!), although that doesn't make it less fun. What did make it less fun was that the first release contained only FIVE MAPS. There were a few lone new maps and ports for maps from the mod, but there simply was not enough content to hold my interest for more than a week. I also wasn't impressed that there was no bot support, given that the UT2004 engine allows for them as it is.

So I don't jump on the L4D comparison bandwagon (*cough*Survivalmode*cough*), I'll compare it to Red Orchestra instead. Both KF and RO were popular UT2004 mods that were developed into retail releases. However, RO is much more balanced game, providing varied player classes, drivable vehicles, and visually distinct map designs. In one map you could have tank battles in an open field, in another you can clear the enemy from bombed out buildings, in another parachute out of a damaged airplane, in another defend trench networks from your machine gun nest, and so on. The Killing Floor retail version on the other hand, is very basic in comparison, even with the limited number of maps. Ultimately, while I like Killing Floor, there wasn't enough variety to motivate me to come back and try again.

Still, when I noticed the guest passes last week, I offered them to Josh and bobdog, hoping that going through with friends would renew my interest. Thankfully, there are several new maps to try out, some made by Tripwire and some which won Killing Floors "Grindhouse" map contest. Unfortunately, still no bot support, which means that you have to depend on other players to get the full experience. This isn't so bad, since you can start a game on an empty server and usually someone will show up, but it could be near the end of the game before things fill up. Maybe Killing Floor will get to the point where they have as much content as Red Orchestra, but what's currently there is fun enough if you don't mind playing with strangers.

If you see me online and want to play, give me a shout, since I've been enjoying the new stuff so far. You'll have to ask Josh and bob if they want their guest passes renewed, since they may feel differently. ;D

And if anyone happens to have Red Orchestra as well....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:10:11 AM by Little Bugger »

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Killing Floor: Anyone Else Playing It?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »
Although I appreciate LB's generosity, and played through most of the maps now available, the game just wasn't to my overall liking. But, I also don't really like L4D's survival mode either -- I've never been one to enjoy arena-type maps where you get waves of enemies.

So count me out....   :smoking: