Author Topic: "Project Xenome"  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
"Project Xenome"
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:48:08 PM »
I was cruising through Unreal.org and ran across this 'Project Xenome' for UT99. They said it was taken off the net because of something to do with using another mods textures, or something like that. Anyhow, I usually don't believe everything I read and after some searching I found it and this thing is HUGE! Once installed, it's 400+ megs (190+ Meg download) and has 40 maps to it's credit. That's larger than 'Operation: Na Pali!'  Anyhow, has anyone played this yet? If so, opinions? I'm right in the middle of 'ONP' right now and I'm just curious as to whether or not it's worth it. So, whattaya think? However, if you don't think than I have no need to know what you think because you don't think and I think that would be wrong to ask a non-thinking person what they think if they don't. However, if you do think than I think I would like to know what you think. I think I said that right!! :lol:

Offline mfw41

Re: "Project Xenome"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:26:43 PM »

Pardon me Stubby but this is the same mod that I put up a thread about 'Project Xenome: First Day'. Even though i did find the file on the net as well i didn't DL it because out of respect for the people that created the map packs that  Jazzyb(the  person that created this mod) took stuff from without their permission. If you don't believe me read this thread:

http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=843

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:38:34 AM »
Well, I asked for an opinion and I got one! No mfw41, it's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I never saw your post on this mod. However, I did read that link you posted and I do agree that he should have asked permission before he used those brushes and partial maps. Obviously, the mappack was not removed from the net, because I found it at Fileplanet. Anyway, irregardless of where I found it, that puts me in a bit of a dilema, huh? Let's see, what are my choices; 1) Delete from HDD, 2) wait for revised version, 3) play it anyway.  Personally, if I was into map making and created some custom textures I'd be honored if someone else thought they were good enough to be used in their maps. They wouldn't need to ask permission. Still, that is only MY opinion and I know the gaming world doesn't agree with my way of thinking.

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:32:08 PM »
You might as well play it, just don't post its link here.

Offline GreyMouser

• Forums Keeper
  • It's all so UNREAL to me.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:52:27 PM »
My opinion,....As Bugs would say..."What's all the hubbub, Bud?".......8)
According to the posting on UnrealSP.org.....
Quote from: UnrealSP.org
Project Xenome re-release: First Day..........
Forumer and map author jazz ironed out the problems in his original epic-scale UT campaign and released the first out of three re-mixed episodes, dubbed Project Xenome: First Day, utilizing the Operation: Na Pali code base. It is set in a 'Terran semi-underground industrial complex' and is said by community members to be reminiscent of Half-Life! Hurry over to the forum thread and give it a try.
To me, that sounds like the problem of the other modders' borrowed material has been "ironed out" and now has their permission...:realconfused:
Soo......I don't see anything wrong, really, in playing the first version of this mod.
But then again, that's just my opinion...::)

Still, that is only MY opinion and I know the gaming world doesn't agree with my way of thinking.
Stubby, we all still love you....:-*

............................. .......:smoking:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:24:37 PM by GreyMouser »
The Beauty is in the "Play".

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 12:14:42 AM »
No problem Bobdog, I have no intentions of posting a link to it here, or any other forum for that matter. You could drag me across 5 miles of used kitty litter in my Sponge Bob Square Pants pajamas and I would remain silent....rather smelly, but silent! :lol: I uninstalled the original game from my UT folder and downloaded the 'revised' First Day that GreyMouser gave me the link to. I may not understand the sensitivity of this situation, but I DO need to respect other people's hard work in creating the custom stuff that the original game used. That's why it was uninstalled, unplayed. And no, I didn't delete it, but rather burned it onto my 'UT' DVD that contains all the other mods and maps I have collected for 'UT.' Well, actually, I did delete it from my HDD once it was burned onto the DVD.

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »
You know, I've been thinking. Bobdog, I've been here for a long time, and at the Hangar even longer, and I DO know the proper procedure on what links to post and which ones not to post. Besides, if you read my first post, I already mentioned where it could be found. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I knew  that some people were going to get their 'panties in a wad' over it. Okay, so I downloaded it and retained a copy of it, so maybe I'm just not as 'ethical' as some of you, or as ethical as some of you think you are. But I DO know this much......'People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!'  So, for those of you that think I've done something wrong, you do have options available to you so exercise them if you want.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »
So, for those of you that think I've done something wrong, you do have options available to you so exercise them if you want.

Yes, we do have options. And you'll be made aware of them when our newly formed mob.... I mean, Association of Highly Ethical Persons, arrive at your glass house! Bwahahaha!

Offline Stubby

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 08:09:06 PM »
Little Bugger, you ARE a trip! :onethumb: :lol: Please just remember one thing....when you do come for a 'visit'  my son, my dogs, and myself are completely innocent.....my wife MADE me do it!!!! :funup:

Offline GreyMouser

• Forums Keeper
  • It's all so UNREAL to me.
Re: Project Xenome
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 07:46:43 PM »
'People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!'  So, for those of you that think I've done something wrong, you do have options available to you so exercise them if you want.
.....I say,...."Let those who have not ever viewed any material, of any kind, that was posted online, without the proper permission, cast the first stone"....:angel:
"That's right, I'm talking to you, you fans of YouTube."......:tongue2:

............................. ...........:smoking:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:35:47 AM by GreyMouser »
The Beauty is in the "Play".