Author Topic: Alien Swarm: New top-down shooter coming out on Steam! For FREE!  (Read 2115 times)

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
You can't beat that price with a stick. ;D

Anyone else going to be giving it a download? Looks pretty interesting.
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Re: Alien Swarm: New top-down shooter coming out on Steam! For FREE!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:09:08 AM »
For free, you say? ;D

I've played the original Alien Swarm, which was a very professionally designed mod for UT2004, for which this Source engine version will be a sequel of sorts. I didn't get too far into it, mostly because I wasn't used to the gameplay style and got pummeled by the alien forces. Of course, maybe that problem would be resolved going through with friends instead of AI. And I DO happen to be free the night of release....

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Re: Alien Swarm: New top-down shooter coming out on Steam! For FREE!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 04:33:03 PM »
Alien Swarm is out, and I've taken a look at it. It seems to be an initial release: a single mission made up of about five chapters. I'm assuming that more are forthcoming, or that options for third-party missions will become available as well. It's also not surprising that you only have one chapter, when you consider that this is something Black Cat Studios made in their spare time after they were hired by Valve to work on Portal 2.

I tried out the Offline Practice mode, and although short, it was fun. The feel is very reminiscent of James Cameron's Aliens as you and your crew gun down waves of alien bugs while trying to make your way to through a series of objectives. You start with two weapon slots and one item slot, each of which can be exchanged with other weapons and items you come across in the field. The player characters you can choose from have class distinctions, from an Officer who gives orders, techies who can work computers, engineers who can weld/unweld doors, etc. One of the classes (I didn't catch which) also carries your spare ammo, and can deploy it among the other players when the situation calls for it.

My only real beef is that the game is very much  multi-player focused. Unlike L4D, there is no Offline support for the campaign, just a single practice map. To be fair, you could go through the campaign by yourself, but a single player will likely run out of ammo and be overwhelmed before the map, let along the campaign could be finished.

That said, it's a free game that comes to only about 2 gigs download through Steam that should be easy to get going with anyone on your friend's list. I'll poke around tonight to see if anyone else wants in!

everything