Author Topic: Dragon Age: Witch Hunt  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Dragon Age: Witch Hunt
« on: August 25, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »

(Dramatic, huh?)

Announcement thread.

One last thread hangs in the saga of the Grey Warden, Hero of Ferelden. Uncover the secret carried by Morrigan and the plans she hides in Witch Hunt, the final DLC for Dragon Age: Origins!

(Emphasis mine.)

Official page.

The dreaded Archdemon has been slain and the advance of the darkspawn halted by a lone, heroic Grey Warden. The kingdom rejoices, but at least one question remains: what happened to Morrigan? The sorceress joined the Wardens cause, but it is said her true purpose was not revealed until the eve of the last battle. She vanished into the shadows, and while rumors claimed she crossed over the mountains into Orlais no trace of her path could be found. She was never heard from again... until now. Nearly a year has passed since the Archdemon's death, and word has reached the Wardens that Morrigan has returned to Ferelden. She has been sighted in the southern wilderness where she was first encountered. Is it truly her? If it is, then why has is she here and what secret does she carry with her? The Warden heads into the forest to find out and tie up this last loose end once and for all.
Key Features:

* Confront Morrigan in this dramatic conclusion to the Origins storyline
    * Earn powerful rewards that transfer into your Awakening and Origins campaign
    * Import your character from Origins or Awakening or create a new, high-level hero!

Available September 7th...the same day as ME2's Lair of the Shadow Broker...for 560 points ($7).

If I had to guess...Flemeth's spirit has finally taken over Morrigan, even though you may have "killed" Flemeth; the game was coyly vague on that point. Especially since...Flemeth's been confirmed as being in DA2.

To sum up:

- 560 points, or $7
- September 7th
- The final Dragon Age DLC

September seems a good month for it: DLC for DA and ME2, and Opeth's latest live DVD comes out the 21st. And I wonder where all my money goes...
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Dragon Age: Witch Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:35:32 AM »
Yay! Bug feast!

- Resume the infamous "No your imported rogue character cannot detect any trap" bug that was already in Awakening but removed with the 1.04 patch. Apparently they didn't care to apply the fix to this DLC.
- Completely messes up dialogs at the end. The dark ritual apparently never happened (no matter if you did it or not). And yet if you're a male character, Morrigan really had your child but still you didn't sleep with her. Magical!

Sometimes I wish that I was working for the QA department of a big video game company such as EA; it seems easy money. Because really, when one finds bugs in a game that one doesn't even have to look for -- they're right under your nose dammit!! Actually they're jumping at your throat there --  one wonders exactly what QA is for... Just to ensure that the manual is printed the right way, maybe? Here are guys that are paid to make *reasonably* sure the final product won't exhibit any weird or unexpected behavior. For games it means playing them every way possible to see what is broken so the devs can fix it. Apparently playing a game is asking too much... Recruit gamers then!

:redhot:

The end of the DLC is also very weird... And this time I assume it's not a bug.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:21:17 PM »
They called it "the dramatic conclusion to your Warden's story," but I think it was more of a half-hearted shrug than a bang. Though I rarely consider Gamespot anything more than a bunch of corporate shills, this review is right on with a 5.0 score. (They reviewed it honestly, probably because Bioware wasn't pumping money into their coffers.) GameCritics.com gave it a 2 out of 10, IGN gives it a 6.5, and the Russian judges are predictably harsh in their sentencing of the DLC to immediate death. Not that I blame them. I hate to admit it, but the Feastday Pranks/Gifts pack was far more useful; at least I was able to correct Leliana's romance dialog bug with that.

Witch Hunt is being touted as the last of DAO's DLC, and after playing through it with what I can only describe as "sleepy indifference," I can say thank God. By contrast, ME2's Lair of the Shadow Broker is freaking awesome. If you have to decide on one or the other, go with LOTSB.

Here's an amusing official patch thread with updates on how they're fixing those dratted bugs. "Amusing" in the sense of "we wish we went into marketing instead."

As much as I dig unemployment, I'd also like a job in Bioware's QA department...that's gotta be a sweet gig. No stress, no hassles, and all the bananas you could possibly want.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:48:54 AM »
You know what would be nice ... if someone *COUGH silver sorrow COUGH* could do even a short review to rank all the DLCs for Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3.... So those of us who STILL haven't played the originals know which DLCs to go after.

:smoking:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »
That's a right nasty cough you've picked up there... :purplelaugh:

I'll see what I can do. I don't have F3 installed anymore (I'd BSOD everytime I used V.A.T.S...which makes me really interested in seeing what New Vegas will do ::)), but I can probably put something together...