Author Topic: So I bought Dragon Age: Origins... oh, what have I got myself into?  (Read 8590 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: So I bought Dragon Age: Origins... oh, what have I got myself into?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 10:03:42 AM »
Quick question: can you play the DLCs at any point while working on the main campaign? Are you then able to bring that character back into the main camp or other DLCs, or is it a dead-end with no reversing? I mention it b/c I know some of the DLCs have gear that might be helpful somehow....

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
Lessee...there are three types of DLC (four, if you're into preordering). Some of them can be played during the main campaign: Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep, Return To Ostagar, and Feastday Crap (slight bias), which are integrated into the game. (For example, that guy Levi in the player's camp with an exclamation point over his head, wanting to sell you DLC.)

The second type deals with separate campaigns for which you can either import your Warden or start a new Warden: Golems of Amgarrak and Witch Hunt (which, honestly, reads somewhat better if you've played the main campaign first...). But they aren't part of the main game.

The third type are separate campaigns for which you play a specific character (that is, no character import): Leliana's Song (playing as Leliana) and Darkspawn Chronicles (playing as a Hurlock Vanguard). Definitely not part of the game itself.

I hope I got all that right...or at least answered part of your questions. Gatorade and apple sauce... :sickbay:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:01:42 PM by Silver Sorrow »
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 02:10:51 PM »
Well I was typing as Silver replied but there you go. The list a bit more organized but the general meaning is the same.

That depends on which DLC. DLC that can be played at any time during the campaign with your current character:

Warden's Keep
The Stone Prisoner
Return to Ostagar

DLC that can be played with a character imported from DA but not the other way around:

The Golems Of Amgarrak
Witch Hunt
The Awakening
(not a DLC per say but considered as such by the game)

Special note for the above: Witch Hunt should really be played after you completed DA:O as doing it before makes little sense for the sake of the story. It's the final point to the DA:O storyline DA:Origin, DA: Awakening and The Witch Hunt are the only things that generate a special savegame after completion (savegame that can be used in DA 2 although to a lesser extent than Mass Effect 2 as the main character in DA 2 won't be the same: the savegame will still be used to set up the world state). The logical order of play if you want a complete savegame would be DA:O, DA:A, and WH each importing the character from the previous final save

DLC that cannot be played with an imported character as they feature their own main characters:

Leliana's Song
The Darkspawn Chronicles

The bonus items these DLC provide (except for The Awakening as it doesn't come with any) are made available within your inventory during the DA:O campaign as soon as you completed the relevant DLC to unlock them (so you can go play them then return to the main campaign and find the bonus items in your inventory). Bonus items from DLC that can be played as part of the main campaign are available to you when found.

However (and that's a big however considering the game general difficulty) some of these DLC are even harder than the main campaign. For example, Golems of Amgarrak features almost exclusively enemies that are elite (yellow) or boss (orange).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:32:59 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »
Also, I forgot to note that most of the basic armor, weapons and even some enchanted ones in DA:O can be upgraded to a better material (more protection for armor or more damage for weapons)... It's an undocumented feature but that can be done.

For example, depending on what your character is when you play the Return to Ostagar DLC, you can found the special items within it in Red Steel, Silverite or Dragonbone. Assuming that you found them at a low level in Red Steel, you can make them upgrade to Dragonbone when you are of sufficient level in one of two ways. First one, you sell them to Bodahn at camp. You go play for a while then if your level allow it the items will be upgraded so you can buy them back. The other way to do that is to have Warden's Keep DLC and to store the items in the special party chest provided after completion. This won't cost you anything but it may require your character to actually go through a level up before the change applies. With Bodahn, if the level difference between your character and the items quality is wide enough the change is automatic, it suffice to leave the camp and enter it again.

This process does not work with every items because some of them have been locked by the developers. For example, the family sword from the human noble starting story will always remain a Grey Iron one no matter what. It does always work though with basic armor (you can virtually keep your basic armor from the game beginning, making it upgrade from time to time) and weapons. Only some enchanted armor or weapons will not upgrade.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:08:23 AM »
So what happens if you choose to side with Branka over Caridain over the Anvil of the Void? Looks like you'll lose Spoiler
Shale
as a player if he is in the party, but what happens to the storyline? Might be considered a SPOILER.

I've finally cleared up all the niggling main and side quests and am now ready for the Landsmeet in Denerim!!  :onethumb:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »
If you have Branka's support, I think what happens is you'll have a few golems to help out when you need your allies (you'll know it when it happens). Not too sure, though; I only sided with Branka once to get the achievement, then I reloaded my save where I sided with Caridin and finished with that. :lol:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 07:36:03 AM »
Spoiler
Siding with Branka makes 4 giant steel golems (they are roughly the equivalent in power and resistance to an elite darkspawn Ogre) available in the army you are building. They can be use when the moment comes as any other troops.

And if you want to keep Shale while siding with Branka then the only way is to complete Anvil of the Void before getting Shale. She will be mad at you at first but you can convince her of staying with you and make it up to her with gifts and by doing her companion quest later. Note that if you side with Caradin over Branka, you loose the Golem support later (you also loose them if you side with Branka then convince her to destroy the anvil) and take some heat from Oghren but, if you play it right, you can actually get an increase of appreciation of +7 with him depending on how you handle the situation. After all he already knew that his wife is completely crazy.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 12:36:06 AM »
Prior to the Landsmeet, I convinced Spoiler
Alistair and Anora
to wed and share the throne. I've been able to get enough votes to force Spoiler
Loghain
out, resulting in the one-on-one battle. And i see that if I use Spoiler
Alistair
, he kills Spoiler
Loghain
in the end, messing up my happy wedding. Yet if I allow Spoiler
Loghain
to live and submit to become a Grey Warden, Spoiler
Alistair
gets in a huff, messing up my happy wedding....

How can I get these two awkward lovebirds together?? I read in one walkthru that your character should fight instead of Spoiler
Alistair
, but then instead of letting Spoiler
Loghain
become Grey Warden, you just kill him. I'll have to see if that option works.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 07:38:57 AM »
Well, yeah, that's about it:

Spoiler
Fight Loghain yourself, behead him then when it's time for you to choose the new leader, remember Alistair and Anora that they agreed to marry.

Alternatively, if your character is a male human noble:

Spoiler
You may choose to marry Anora yourself. But this must be planned before the Landsmeet when you first talk to Anora. Then you talk Alistair out of being a king which is not difficult as he is not interested anyway. In this case at the Landsmeet you must let Alistair behead Loghain because Anora will refuse to marry her father's killer. Finally you becomes prince consort and keep Alistair as your trusty sidekick. You might just have to convince Anora to not execute Alistair for having killed her father. However,the arl of Redcliff won't be very pleased because you're removing the Theirin bloodline from power.

And finally if your character is female human noble:

Spoiler
If you romanced Alistair you may just announce that you'll rule beside him, effectively removing Anora from the equation.

everything