Author Topic: Cold Stream DLC  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Cold Stream DLC
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:49:35 AM »
Valve announced this a while ago, but now we're getting our first look at the new DLC for Left 4 Dead 2. The new pack is different in a variety of ways. To start, it highlights the first community map that Valve is making an official release, "Cold Stream". The campaign is designed by Matthew Lourdelet who made 2 Evil Eyes, which was a damn fine custom pack in my opinion. Second, the campaign itself has been released in a beta state with today's patch, along with Valve's new bugtesting system. Players can test out the map, and directly comment on what they'd like to see changed or added to the maps, all of which will be taken into account for a final release due sometime after Portal 2 comes out. Finally, whenever the finished DLC is released, it will include the remaining campaigns from Left 4 Dead, at which point they might as well just pull the plug on the original and be done with it. I've never heard of a sequel that contained the entire original game since the last console generation, when games could include their 8-bit predecessor on the disc. But this effort goes WAY beyond that.

But of course, what's most important is that there is now a brand-new campaign (albeit in beta form) waiting for us with the new patch. This looks like a job for the Foxhole Four! :D

I can likely set aside some time on Friday night or maybe Saturday. Anybody up for this?

Original Valve Announcement
Beta Release Announcement

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Cold Stream DLC
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:46:04 AM »
Interesting ... I could possibly be persuaded ... haven't done any zombie-bashing in a while.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:39:45 AM »
Confirmed free time for Friday! Although not so much later in the evening, I'm spoken for then.

I'll come online around 6ish or 7ish, anyone who wants to join me is welcome to!

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
Just finished playing the beta. It's pretty good, although certainly designed for multiple players. The bots navigate less helpfully than usual, and there are certain key swarm points that are meant to have multiple players on deck to get through. Not that it's impossible..... the bots and I just had more than one point where we picked ourselves up after a horde came by with only a few health points to our name!

The style is reminiscent of 2 Evil Eyes, only more polished. There are some nice unique set pieces and visuals too, including waterfalls and a flooded building, that were quite well done.

Of course, being a beta, there are still bugs to fix, the strangest of which were when the bots would fling themselves off of high walls instead of taking ladders down. But I'm sure by the time the finished release is out, we'll have a truly Valve quality map on our hands!

Offline bobdog

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
sorry I missed it!  :'(

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 12:38:46 AM »
Eh, no worries. Maybe I'll catch you online sometime and I'll be able to run through it again. I just advise that you play with other people if you can, since bots are probably the last thing Valve will take into account for their bug-fixing.  ;D

Offline bobdog

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »
Doc and I gave this a run-through yesterday, and it is indeed very well done. I don't know if they have improved it any since the initial release, but we didn't really notice any areas that screamed BETA at us.

True to Doc, we played on Advanced, and only had real issues on the bridge map. On about the 4th play-through, I got past the broken part of the bridge, onto the side panels, and dropped down only to get Charged like a thousand feet off the bridge -- it's probably the most-breathtaking slam I've ever had!! And surprisingly, I lived because I splashed in deep water!!

Rochelle launched herself off the bridge and splatted as a tank came up the boat's mast. Doc managed to get around it and was nearing my rapidly declining body, but finally got nailed by the tank. All in all, it was pretty awesome!!  :onethumb:

And then we went down to Normal for the next play-through.  :turnhappy:

everything