Author Topic: I'm A Mocker  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
I'm A Mocker
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:45:51 PM »
...thus spake Ringo long ago. But never mind that now.

Mods You Cannot Live Without I'm Serious Not Kidding At All Well Maybe A Little

Despite the fact the money-grubbing bastards at EA/Bioware haven't released a Toolset for DA2, there have been mods aplenty, thanks to ambitious individuals unafraid to use third-party apps to find out what can be changed. There isn't too much so far, but here are a few mods that bear mentioning. (Oddly, none of them mention bears, as far as I know.)

...well...mods *I* like, anyway. Find your own damn mods if you can't stand what I like.

ARMOR:

Champions Warrior Armor Retex for DA2 by Aremeta.
The v1.2 armor is awesomely black.

Champions Rogue Armor Retex for DA2 by Aremeta.
Very nice.

Champions Mage Armor Retex for DA2 by Aremeta.
Sinister.

(All three of those saved me the trouble of recoloring the armor myself. :ok:)

GAMEPLAY:

Total Freedom by Xodarap777.
Eliminates the confounding prerequisites for spells/abilities you want, so you don't have to invest precious points in stupid crap you'll never use.

All Specs - All Abilities - for Everyone by Xodarap777.
Opens up all the various specializations (companions' abilities) to the player.

Enemy Assassin Rebalance by Xodarap777.
"This mod simply doubles the cooldown time for the assassins' (all enemy assassin-types) stealth sneak-attack. It was 15-20 seconds before! 30-40 seconds is much more reasonable, IMO, giving you time to disable them or burn them down between blinks (which also drops their threat tables, WAI)."

Sunnie's DA2 Mods -- and there are a few in the list -- include such useful mods such as weapons and armor that evolve with your level (most useful for DLC items like the Staff of Parthalan).

DA2 Item Restrictions Removed by Offkorn.
"Similar to No restrictions DA2 in function, these couple of GDA files will remove the various restrictions found on DA2's equipment.

The difference between the two Mods is that this edits the properties rather than deleting them (and so does not fully override the default item_properties.gda file), and is modular in that it allows you to choose which restrictions you wish to remove."

damage reduction mod by ArrowBringer.
"fixed damage to player and party to 0.25 to all difficulty levels .. for none tactical players who want to play the game in nightmare .... beware if your party member is wounded they will take normal damage. just to be realistic make sure to take plenty of injury kit's"

COSMETIC / COMPANIONS:

Black Hair Is Black 2 by MidnightVoyager.
This replaces the default black hair tint with one that is a more cool (bluer) tone, which is more to my liking. Since someone asked for it, I thought I might as well upload it for anyone else who might like it.

Altered Aveline by Langianu.
I'm using #3.

New Fair Skinned Isabela by lustrianna.
I used this one for a while, but changed for a different mod, which is...

Sexy New Isabela Armor by lustrianna.
Much nicer, I think.

But possibly the most important mod of all is...

Exaggerated Bethany by theyellowdart2.
When you begin playing the game in earnest after the "exaggerated" intro, you'll see that Varric embellished Bethany's attributes somewhat. This mod lets you make the fiction real. I guess this is only really useful if Bethany survives to see Kirkwall. Otherwise, why bother?

There are more, of course. But later.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: I'm A Mocker
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:20:59 AM »
For the more adventurous among you, I would also suggest:

Evolving weapon and armor by toxic4u
A tutorial explaining step by step how you can force any weapon or armor in the game to follow your character progression so you don't need anymore to throw a weapon or an armor you actually like for another ugly one just because it does more damage or offer more protection. Basically on each level-up, the weapon / armor stats (including magical properties and runes you might have added) are upgraded to adjust to your character level. It's just a matter of adding one parameter to the item (the only weapon that actually has this flag set up in the vanilla game is Varric's Bianca). The tutorial also explains the meaning of the properties codes and how you can add/remove magical properties from an item (including adding a rune slot to an item that doesn't possess any). Warning though: savegame file editing required -- as long as we don't have a toolset, everything must be done manually.

Too bad there's no mod possible to modify the scenario  ::)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
...what, you mean a mod that will allow us to exercise free will and craft our own satisfying ending, rather than the linear last-train-to-Hell crap that Bioware WANTS us to just shut up and enjoy?

Heresy!  :lol:

And a word of caution: don't say anything bad about DA2 on the official forums or they'll probably ban you. Then again, judging from the sheer number of drooling morons posting there, banning isn't such a bad idea. ::)

Anyway, in the vein of useful mods, let just preface my only entry this evening -- I know, boo on me -- with a request: would someone please give me the home address of the filthy rotten vile assclown who thought it was a good idea to remove the weapon-swap function? Because I want to explain something to him or her through the vengeance-filled magic of a top-of-the-line aluminum baseball bat.

Okay, the mod:

Weapon Swap Sets by xatmos.
"Gives each character an Ability that allows you to swap between two sets of weapons and hotbar abilities. Just like it was in Origins."

There is no readme, so you'll have to follow the instructions on the description page. I had to create my own AddIns folder, and it worked. It'll be far more useful for the rogue, but a mage will find it invaluable for switching between staves. Just like I could do in Origins.  :redhot:

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:24 AM »
...what, you mean a mod that will allow us to exercise free will and craft our own satisfying ending, rather than the linear last-train-to-Hell crap that Bioware WANTS us to just shut up and enjoy?

Yeah, something like that.

Spoiler
BTW side with the templars, even if you're a mage. I found that it makes a lot more sense than siding with the mages. Although the ending remains about the same it just makes more sense, allow you to better understand a few things and the few battles before the final confrontation are much less idiotic. Oh and just kill terrorist Anders while you're at it; for no reason other than being fed up with the little shit. Not that there is an actual point in killing him... It doesn't modify the ending a single bit.

Oh and don't you love it when Zevran and Nathaniel appear out of nowhere during the final battle to assist you just like if you had time to send them a SMS? Hilarious. But I guess you have to complete both of their quests to get that.

And one can only be astounded by the sheer number of side quests bugs in this game. From quests that do not complete to quests that do not trigger... it seems Bioware wanted to offer us the full package. Amusing bit? None of the review sites that reviewed DA2 caught the bugs. How did they review it? Eyes closed? The infamous 3rd chapter Merril's cutscene bug? I had the impression to have jumped several chapters of the story at once. And this bug occurs for every single player out there. It's not like the odd bug that one player out of 100 get.

Anyway...

As a side note, I was unable to play DA2 on my primary computer as we're working in the house (changing windows... wallpaper, paint that kind of stuff) so I installed it on my second computer that is not in the rooms we're working in and I can confirm that you not only need DX11 but a DX11 card to get the high res textures. I have Win 7 on the second computer and a DX10 card... the textures won't show no matter if you have them installed and enabled in game.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 07:42:23 AM »
An interesting mod:

Visual ADD Item (or Vaddi)

Unlike the simple additem mod that was previously released, this new mod allows searching with wildcards.

runscript vaddi [parameter]

search for all items in the game that contain [parameter] in their file name (for example runscript vaddi lore would return all the items that have a codex entry attached

runscript vaddin [parameter]

search for all items in the game that contain [parameter] in their in game name (for example runscript vaddin champion would return the intergality of the champion weapons and armor)

Best of all, the items found are presented within a container interface allowing you to pick up only the items you want. It's a great way to overcome the fact that the console in DA2 is invisible (like it was in DA:O except that right now a fix for that doesn't seem to exist).

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »
Vaddi is something else...proof that the smartest people in gaming are NOT working at Bioware.  ::)

The only real downside is that if you're looking for a common-ish item (that is, not the Champion Armor), what you will get is the level 1 equivalent of that item. Lemme 'splain my dilemma:

During one quest I killed a Desire demon. On her corpse was Ornate Demonic Robes with a fair enchantment (I was about level 10 or so); unfortunately, I wasn't able to quicksave since the second wave of goons dropped out of thin air and rushed me. Things went to hell: two of my idiot henchmen ran through a couple of traps, injuring themselves AND me (yet another piece of damning evidence in the case against Bioware's credibility), and fed up, I reloaded. Well...upon killing the Desire demon again, it was clear that the robe was a random drop, as it did not show up this time.

So through the magic of Vaddi I found the robe, but it had a ridiculously low armor rating. So just conjuring most items in a magic box isn't enough; what's needed is something like the Upgrade Wand for DAO, but without a toolset... :madatwall:

(To be honest, I doubt that the average user of Vaddi isn't looking for common items...  :hammerhead:)

It's headaches like this that made me order Dead Space...and look into peanut farming.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »
Well, I didn't dig very far into the game mechanics (too busy with my house renovation and compiling the basis for the DA2 review) but apparently there are two kind of items. Basic ones and unique ones. Basic ones (such as the demonic robes) doesn't feature any enchantment and are only available via the console in their level 1 variant. Enchantment for those items are apparently added on the fly by the game as well as armor (or damage) adjustment according to player level. Unique items are another matter. They're already preset and are only available within a given act except when using the console (Ie typing "vaddi act3" should return all the special items specific to act 3; act1 for act 1 and act2 for act... well, 2  :lol: )

Tempering with my save files, I also discovered that there is only one parameter ruling the quality of an item (unlike DAO, materiel is not a factor anymore -- I'm not even sure of the material purpose in DA2, I tried to change it on a weapon with absolutely no result). This parameter set the damage for weapons and the protection for armor. Everything else (runes, enchantment) is based on this parameter. So the stronger the parameter is, the stronger all the other parameters will be no matter how you adjust them separately (you can still adjust them separately but their values act as a multiplier not as an absolute value). That makes sometimes for weird thing happening. For example my current Staff of Parthalan has a damage of 95, adds 7 magic, 35% fire damage and as I put on it the Primeval rune my attack speed is increased by 75% and all that just changing one parameter, the one that determine the staff basic damage (note that the maximum power for a staff in the vanilla game is 42).

For more insight a toolset would be needed. However it seems that a lot of modders are already set on doing what they can with what they have...

However, considering DA2 as a whole, is it really necessary to mod it? That's probably the question we should be asking before requesting a toolset.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 01:05:37 AM »
The whole game is a mess. Item materials are a joke, and that lovely tier system is completely gone. Some things are just...okay, what does "scarlet-dyed" mean when the item is, in fact, purple? And "silver-threaded"? And "Onyx"? And "Red Steel"? The worth of items is useless to gauge, as there's nothing to compare them to. And they don't mean squat anyway. So...nostalgia, I guess?  :P

Btw, I'm using Sunnie's Staff of Parthalan with Spirit damage mod...it seems to do the job admirably, especially when I superglue a couple of Spirit runes to it.

But that's something that's been bugging me since I finished it: if we had a toolset, what would be the point, other than cosmetic (hair, face, armor, etc.) and gameplay tweaks? I just faced facts early on: even if I were able to create my own headmorph for DA2, I've already played the dratted thing three times (and nearing the ending of my fourth), so really: I'd be playing the same stupid half-a-game with a different face. To quote a certain Dr. Sheldon Cooper:

Three thousand hours. Three thousand hours clicking on that mouse, collecting weapons and gold. It's almost as if it was a huge waste of time.

I hate to be so pessimistic**, but there it is. Once I'm done with #4 -- purely to get all of the achievements -- I'll put it away and play something else. I just got Dead Space, for example. And I never finished The Witcher, for some dumbass reason. I blame my upbringing.
[** Actually, I quite enjoy it. But I have to pretend to be ahsamed of my pessimism.]