Author Topic: This Could Be Noteworthy. Maybe Not.  (Read 7501 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
This Could Be Noteworthy. Maybe Not.
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:16:03 AM »
If you're into graphical overhauls of your beloved games, I guess it might be.

Description...well, most of it, anyway:

Kingpix and the Morrowind Overhaul Team are proud to present the first package of the project “Morrowind Overhaul”! It’s an Italian project started 2 years ago.

FIRST THINGS FIRST:
The mods included in this package were NOT created by Kingpix. The credits list that you can find here includes every single modder who made this possible! I also want to thank the morrowind modding community for the huge work they did in those past 8 (almost 9!) years. I have personally contacted mod authors and received approval to use their mods in this package. I was unable to contact some mod authors, and have done my best to abide by their wishes as specified in their mod's readmes.

"Morrowind Sounds and Graphics Overhaul" is the first pack. It contains mods that will alter and enhance the visual graphics and the sounds of the game.

The aim of this project is to make more people around the world appreciate this huge game by giving them a simple installation file which includes everything they will need to play Morrowind with gorgeous graphics and sounds. I’ve tried to keep Morrowind’s “feeling”; therefore, the mods/meshes/textures I chose are the ones that I think are most faithful to the original colours and environment.

A benefit of this compilations is that players don’t need to go through the “download every single mod out there and try it” phase of customizing Morrowind. The pack is intended for people who would prefer not to hand-pick mods out of the thousands of mods available. Modding Morrowind can be overwhelming for some people, and they might want to start out with a compilation before they feel comfortable picking and choosing mods on their own.

The Official trailer, which made me scramble for my CDs...

Caveat: the main file is just over a gigabyte...and the 1.1 patch is ~236mb, and available via Megaupload, thankfully.

There's a video installation tutorial, too. Thoughtful.  :lol:
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline bobdog

Re: This Could Be Noteworthy. Maybe Not.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:51:56 PM »
That can't be Morrowind because a thousand critters weren't gobbling at your niblets every five feet.

And it looked really dark, regardless of how pretty the water is.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:01:04 PM »
Now that you mention it, I didn't notice any cliffracers in the trailer... :realconfused:

I remember my first playthrough, after I had killed the bad guy and saved all those idiot elves...I was all badass. I stepped outside the evil fortress...and was immediately swarmed by a bunch of cliffracers. Kind of an anti-climax, really.

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
   I once put together a little .esp that made all the cliffracers, except the blighted ones, non aggressive. It took something out of the game for me, I like to hunt them with my Red Dragon(TM) bow, but I felt guilty about sniping at them when they meant me no harm. And their meat tastes terrible. Kind of like old newspaper boiled in linseed oil.

I didn't know about this compilation thing, I went over to the Beth forums which I hadn't done for a while and read up on it. It seems to be the first thing like this that they're actually trying to do right, getting permissions, checking for conflicts, including updated mod versions, etc. And they keep the .esps and such separate, so you can basically use what you want. So it seems kind of useful. I'll probably try it out on my nest MW install, but it won't be very soon unless there's some horrible game killing f-ck up on my part. Which is quite possible likely probable.

I'd also have to see if it's compatible with stuff I always use like MCA, Abot's water life and bird thingies, and other things I don't remember. Cripes, I have so much shit in my game right now I don't know what's going on.
 :hammerhead:

Looks like a good timesaver, though.
Tiens, voilà du boudin...

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:38:58 PM »
I dunno...I prefer my old newspaper boiled in lark's bile and the tears of children, all strained through a filthy cowboy hat. Hang on...I think I just described the McDonald's Dollar Menu.  :P

I haven't had the chance to install anything yet, but I will eventually. I'm not even sure if I'll install anything else, not even my own mod --

>pregnant pause<

-- which is a joke, of course. I can't play without all my stuff. I also have a couple of ideas for enhancing my mod... [ominous music]

Btw, I don't like the official forums' style. There are so many icons (Facebook, etc.) that it slows down my scrolling bliss. Damn them all to fiery torment forever and ever.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »
I've managed to get everything running -- only took me two and a half hours, including tweaking!  ::) -- and now I'm testing a K race...I made one before, but I'm starting fresh. Still haven't found exactly the right faces...my favorite face has apparently been corrupted, thanks to a crappy DVD drive and Nero (my new drive is far superior, thank you). But I have the original texture so just a little work is all I need to do.

Where was I? Oh, yes.

This was before I scaled some things back...the question the overhaul guys should be asking themselves is not "What can your computer handle?", but "What can the ENGINE handle?" 

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »
All right. Back in Vvardenfel.

Got rid of the animated grass, which did wonders for my framerates.

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:48:59 AM »
 Looking good.  :ok:

I tried out animated grass a while back, it played hell with my framerates too. The non-animated version worked out alright though. I think I posted about it once. Or maybe not.

I'm still not near to doing a new MW install yet. I'm not sure if I'll use this compilation thing or not, it's convenient and all that but I'll still have a bunch of things it doesn't include to put in (Abots' mods, LGNPC, etc), and I use an earlier version of MGE which I prefer over the latest one. I don't use infinite view distance, in fact I hate it, it makes Vvardenfell look as small as Cyrodiil. It downright ruins my "Slaughterfish Island" mod, kills the atmosphere. I'm using a mod now in OB that makes the view distance more morrowindish. Makes me happy. sort of.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »
I finally got rid of grass entirely. I have it disabled in OB, why not MW?  :lol:  But I tweaked (and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked) until I got the original fog back; infinite view mods just ruin it, I agree. It's *supposed* to be kind of dreamy, I insist. For example:

On the plus side -- in favor of the Overhaul, that is -- the following screens:

The moon sizes in the last and the sky in the first (as well as the blue sky above) came from my old ini tweaks...otherwise I have standard-sized moons and regular weather. Yawn.

Now, what really bothers me is this shot of Balmora:

A thick mat of leaves on the ground. Dirty, crumbling buildings. I used to have a lovely rose color for Balmora...I found an old screenie:

(Ignore the Big Giant Gun.)  Doing some digging, I found it at Morrowind4Kids, under Download, called "Balmora S'Mores". So. Another old favorite is restored.

As for the rest of the Overhaul:

- I think Better Heads are incorporated, which is fine; but I'm so used to Divayth Fyr's face and hair from Astarsis' Dark Elven Heroes that I override with that.

- The new spell sounds are interesting...at first...but I'm tired of them now. Same with the wilderness and weather sounds: irritating as hell. The worst thing is that you can't just deactivate the mods in question (ExcellentMagicSounds and Expanded Sounds, I think) and load a save, because MW will get snippy and refuse to load the save. I found a workaround by replacing all of the offending sounds with 1-second silent wavs, though...

- I'm not sure about all of the overhaul's mods; I have no idea what half of them do, really.

- Thanks to the ravages of time, I had some trouble tracking down a few favorite mods that I needed. Finding Jeremy McGuinn's Divine Domina was easy enough (Knights Of Tamriel), but others, like CanadianIce's Domina Glass mesh, was a lot tougher. I ended up at a Russian site (I think), where I found all of her Domina mesh mods...it didn't occur to me to just google "canadianice". ::)  Still, you can find all her stuff at Realm of Modders, but I believe you need to be a registered member of the forums to download it. Thankfully, my account's still working, even though I haven't been there in five years... :realconfused:

(Side note: you can also find the Divine Domina mods at the same site.)

- Water: there's a setting in MGEgui under the Distant Land tab that lets you adjust wave height and "caustic intensity" (or whatever). Default is 50, I believe. Setting each to 25 made the water look a bit more natural to me, at least. As long as it doesn't look like angry shock-enchanted water, I'm okay. And it seems to have improved my fps. So...win-win.

- I'm not sure if it was my fault or not, but there are new meshes that make the Daedric armor...uh..."shiny," so to speak. It really looks like someone went to town with a glitter stick. Sort of. I may be exaggerating. Anyway, it's an interesting effect, but it doesn't work with all of the pieces for some reason. So I removed those meshes and got the flat black Daedric back, which I prefer anyway.

- The thing I dislike most, besides the irritating sounds, is that there are now a ton of these horrible "ash trees" all over the Ashlands. Worse, you can get stuck in them. I get stuck in the flora a lot now, thanks to the new meshes.

Right now, I'm looking into purging the land of Scribs, as they do not amuse me. [weird sound] thump thump thump [weird sound] scritch-scratch scritch-scratch...

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 06:03:08 PM »
While I'm bitching about "improvements" to Morrowind -- this seemed a good thread for it -- I'd like to give a side-by-side comparison of Original Daedric + Divine Domina textures (LEFT), and Darknut's 1024 hi-res textures (RIGHT):

[EDIT: The screens don't really do either one justice, but I don't really care anymore. I'm wearing my undies like a jaunty hat and pondering the best way to destroy the neighbor's dog.]

My loyalties lie with the originals. And I have trouble saying this without offending Darknut, so to hell with it: the hi-res textures look like cracked glaze. I can't stand them. I appreciate that a lot of work went into the effort and I'm sure that there are legions of people who like it, but I'm not one of them.

Was that apologetic enough? Good. It's best to disguise one's seething disappointment in an envelope of apologies.

...note to self: stop typing what I'm actually thinking.

EDIT: Despite myself, I'm going to give the new textures a try. Maybe...just maybe OH WHO CARES. Blah, blah, blah.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:43:15 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 10:38:33 AM »
  I use Darknut's textures but not all of them. The way he packs the file make that pretty easy. I like what it does to the Imperial armors, for instance. I agree about the Daedric though.
   I'm probably due for a re-install at any moment, my game is bogged down with too much crap and nobody is doing anything important. But I think I'll go my usual way and just put everything in separately like I always do. The Overhaul thing has stuff I don't use, there are other textures I like better than the ones they chose, and I use an older version of MGE for some reason which I forget at the moment (But it's a damn good reason, whatever it is  ;D ).

Why is it that I can just dive into MW at any time and have fun, whereas in OB I need to add a million overhauls and quest mods to squeeze any joy out of it? I don't know, but maybe...just maybe...MORROWIND IS A BETTER GAME!!

There, I said it. But I frightened the cats.

Ah, my cats.

I have an ugly couch.

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 04:34:47 AM »
I found an unopened copy of Morrowind at a flea market for 5 dollars. Probably one of the best investments I ever made (that I can legally discuss).
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »
 Good buy indeed. I paid $20 at Target for my GOTY, which was a pretty good deal, except that:

A) I shopped at Target, and

B) It destroyed what pitiful remnant was left of my life. Still, I have no regrets. Except that I shopped at Target. Did I mention that I shopped at Target? Well, I did. I hate myself.

Here's something very few people know, the Morrowind theme has words. Yes it does. And here they are:

"Morrowind is my home, it is there that I want to roam
  'Cause I live by myself, and my girlfriend's an Elf
  She's not real but no real girl will look at me twice,
  They're not nice..."

And so on.

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »
Alrighty then. Time has come to re-install MW, as such times always do, and I've decided to go with this overhaul thing. It's got three patches at this point, and more features, so it shouldn't be too evil. I have the option now to use the version of MGE that I like, which is Rev. 176 (I think), a lot of stuff which annoys me can be disabled, etc. I'm still twisting in the wind about view distance, maybe I'll go for it at first, I can always disable it. Or perhaps the reverse. I have no idea at the moment. We shall see.

Well, there goes my day...and night...and possible a good chunk of tomorrow... :hammerhead:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »
That's why I never uninstalled MW, even though I haven't played it since May. It took three excruciating days to get everything just right, and it makes me wonder how people who hand-craft coffins can stand it: all that effort, and then they trap a corpse inside and bury it away forever.

...that didn't go exactly as I had intended.  :-[

everything