Author Topic: The Local Dagoth Sequel WIP Thread  (Read 6089 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
The Local Dagoth Sequel WIP Thread
« on: February 21, 2006, 01:01:36 AM »
Since I dislike posting minor updates on a board as heavily-traveled as the TES forums, I thought I'd start this little WIP thread for the more mundane updates on what I'm doing with the sequel to the Dagoth armor thing. I already have a WIP thread there -- which you can find here, btw -- but every time I post there, I feel like I should have some sort of monumental reason for bumping my own humble thread past the endless Eldanacora (sp??) and character screenshots threads. After all, I know just about every one of you -- thanks to the cameras the CIA gave me -- and I'm a little more comfortable showing off my idiotic crap here. :D

So to begin with, let's start with what I know about the sequel:

1. It will have some recolored/reconfigured armor sets and a couple of weapons.

That's about it right now. Oh, I'll have something in there about Tren Ienith himself, as well as possibly meeting a certain noise-sensitive former mercenary. ;)  I have nothing solid planned at the moment, hence my regret for prematurely starting a WIP thread at the TES forums. However, I do have some things planned:

1. the Rainbow Dagoth Coalition ("Because monsters are people too!")
2. a parody of Oprah ("I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD!")
3. a sword with textures hand-drawn by myself, just as soon as I can lay my claws on a scanner (I'm a fair artist; let's just say that while I'm no dynamo with a pencil, it's a lot better than my clumsy attempts with a mouse)
4. an ornate version of the Red Dragon armor
5. lots and lots of stuff to read
6. an Asian woman with green eyes

...and so on. Let's start off with a couple of picture links, hmmm?

Jade Dragon armor, an ideological variant on the Red Dragon Enclave...it's a long story. I don't like how the gauntlets look in 1st person.

White Gold armor...I haven't decided if I like the eagle [on the cuirass, not the helmet] or not. It *was* a hammer. I may go back to that.

Dark Paladin/Blackguard armor, a really rough early version...I haven't even put designs on it yet.

A side-by-side comparison of the original glass armor and what I've done to it...I'm not sure if it'll be in the mod, but I sort of like it anyway.

Shots of the unfinished Rainbow Dagoth Coalition sword...the rest of it will be rainbow-striped as well, not just the blade and spikes.

That's about all of the old stuff (there's a hammer I've made minor alterations to, but I'll save the joke for when I release the thing)...I've done zero work on any of it, because I've been playing with some other stuff. Take a look:

#1: New pauldrons and bracers for the Black Netch.

#2: A variation on the Red Dragon nodachi. It's not so...red...now.

#3: My personal favorite at the moment: darker Daedric with a helmet I spent the day slapping textures upon.

#4: Sans helmet...I'm guessing she could probably rip my face off with no trouble whatsoever.

Here's a link to a comparison shot of the original Daedric and my Daedric, because it's too big for this post. (Actually, it's Better Daedric armor with J. McGuinn's Divine Domina female cuirass, but the textures are pretty much the same as regular Daedric armor.)

* I must point out that I have two sets of greaves for the dark Daedric, and what you see in the pics is set #2. The first set is the original mesh.

Anyway, the new Daedric's look is the result of messing with the brightness/contrast in PSP. But I've begun to do little embellishments here and there (the gold suns on the pauldrons, for example) to make it more than just a mere slider-adjustment. It's not finished, but it's come far enough along that I can show it off.

If you're wondering about the swords...I haven't done anything to them, other than the gold texture on the katana's shiny bits.

More later, when I'm not exhausted.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 01:08:20 AM by Silver Sorrow »
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline bobdog

Re: The Local Dagoth Sequel WIP Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 05:15:49 PM »
I REALLY like the white-gold armor -- good job there. The only critique I have is with the rainbow sword, which just seems ... well, silly. But I appreciate your creativity!  ;D

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 06:17:40 PM »
A-ha! Gotcha! It's *supposed* to be silly!  :lol:

Looking at the sheer amount of work I have to do to get the sequel workable, I wonder how far I'll go for a one-character joke... :-\

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 06:28:36 PM »
Yeah, I agree! The White-Gold armor is awe-some!

And yeah, BobDog...really!  You didn't expect silly from our Mr. Sorrow? :P
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:37:22 PM »
I add my praise of the white gold. And I like the pauldrons and bracers for the Black Netch :)
  The darker daedric helmet is nice.
Tiens, voilà du boudin...

Offline bobdog

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 10:46:27 PM »
Oh ... a joke ... okay........

The Glass Armor looks a little too PhotoShopped. I imagine it's pretty hard to work with the clear glass?

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 12:46:52 AM »
White Gold armor...I haven't decided if I like the eagle [on the cuirass, not the helmet] or not. It *was* a hammer. I may go back to that.
Wow, that's incredibly Paladin-y. I like it! I say stay with the eagle, it just seems to work better. Maybe I should just sketch what I'd like to see and commission Silver to work on it for me? I'm sure I've got some blackmail material- err, I mean, comvincing arguments right here....
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 12:29:30 AM »
I'm no miracle worker, but I have been known to turn wine into water on occasion. ;D

I guess the eagle stays then...and it does work with the helmet. ;)  The original armor was excellent -- look for Dibella Armor on PES -- but I never liked the muddy gold he used. So I contrasted the white bits slightly, recolored the chainmail bits, put some new symbols on the pauldrons, slapped an eagle on there...and there you have it: a style of armor completely alien to what I usually do. "But...but...where are the bloody spikes??"

The new glass: it looks Photoshopped (especially the stupid shield), but it really isn't. Mostly not. That is...well...it's hard to depict well due to how dark it is, but it's really my Dagoth armor with the red pieces recolored to an intense green and the Dagoth symbols removed. I can't say I'm ga-ga over it, but it's not the most horrible thing I've done. I didn't use the clear glass, though...I really should. I'm not really interested in working on that version more than I have, but I do plan to expand the Rainbow Dagoth Coalition armor with the original Dagoth armor style...so in a way...oh, never mind. I'm just confusing myself now. :)

The Black Netch stuff I'm fairly happy to be done with. I think I have five variations on the pauldrons so far, which is way too many. I still can't decide which Daedric style of greaves I like. Then someone will mention trying either Cenobite's or Shiekizza's Daedric stuff and I'll tear out some more hair and...

I spent yesterday messing with gold accents on the Daedric. Didn't turn out so well. Day wasted. Spent this evening putting a dragon tattoo on a face. Didn't turn out so well, either (made her look like she had a lazy eye). At this rate, I'm BOUND to do something right...law of averages, huh?

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 11:59:24 AM »
I'm unstickying this thread, since I don't think there's an actual point to keeping it on top anymore. Why?

Because I don't think I'll ever finish it. I haven't even really *started*, beyond the couple of armors I recolored a while back. I have a sort of design outline, with ideas and musings and whatnot (including a couple of books and other readables  that I've more or less finished messing with), but I have no motivation whatsoever to work on it further.

With that said, this isn't a depressing thing, no; it's actually a relief to say "Hey! I'm not working on this thing and I'm glad, you hear me? GLAD!" [maniacal laughter] Now I can stop worrying about it and move on with my life; that is: not working on this mod anymore.  :lol:

But if anyone asks, I'll outline what I was intending to do in the sequel. A couple of people asked about Tren Ienith and such, and I devised a way to introduce him...again...alive, this time...in the sequel. It's really nothing groundbreaking, but it would have added a player home in Ald'Ruhn as well as lots and LOTS of scripting to pull the thing off. I'm no scripter...hell, I just barely got the dialog working in the first one...so we see that delusions of grandeur are no match for the incompetent's reality.  ;D

However, if anyone wants to use my readables in their own mods -- and here I am looking at YOU, Orlop, since you're churning out the mods like crazy :lol:  -- let me know. Much of it is based on the history of that island that Visiliu was looking for, as well as a couple of incidental tales. My favorites include Let's Go Outside! by Naven Gnaven, Culius Pierrot, Frontier Veterinarian, Guarding The Standard (the Imperial Legion's internal newsletter), The Collected Stories of Kuan-Po, vol. IV (very sad stuff), Consultations with the Mad, vol. 12 (a psychiatric paper on treating a patient who is Bloodtear and Winterseed's less-together brother), and let's not forget The Cornberries Of Wrath...

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 12:30:15 PM »
I am sad. I am so sad I need a Santa smilie to comfort me.
 :xtongue:
Not enough. Hold on.
 :xcheesy: :xlaugh: :xshocked:
Almost better now.
 :xsanta:
OK, much better now.

Looking at... ME? Fair enough. I do indeed think I could use such literary leavings as ye would see fit to share. With all due credits and permissions and not changing things about without intense consultation etc. etc......I have discovered I really like making books, and I'm working on dialogue...really, I am. I know how to do it, and have done it, but I need to get more confident that I'm not going to make everyone's game unplayable. I can't have every NPC ingame saying "You like Tondelayo? Tondelayo make tiffin". (Which actually came up while I was making my "Fishy Island", soon to be released, but without Tondelayo. A pity really.)
The tales of Visiliu and the island and all such must be perpetuated. It's Lore now as far as I'm concerned.
Oh good god I'm getting ideas.....this could be dangerous.
Akavir calling............... ;)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 01:46:57 AM »
No pressure.  ;D   Nah, if you want the texts, you can use them...I don't know if I ever will use them myself, but sometimes I feel downright ashamed that I left some things unresolved. I would have resolved them in the sequel, but...oh, well.

I love constructing dialog, but I hate implementing it. So many things go so wrong, with so many variables to keep in mind...

I read someone's comments on PES that the best thing about my mod was the dialog. I...tend to agree (ego trip!), but it wasn't the original point. Actually, the dialog and NPCs were afterthoughts. I hadn't intended to add new NPCs at all. That's really the story of my life's work: the stuff I just toss out offhand is considered my best. So I've come to think that either I put too much effort into the important stuff, or I don't put enough effort into the side issues. Or maybe I'm obsessed with the side issues and the important stuff suffers. Jeez. I gotta go lie down.

One thing I regret with the DBNRD was permanently mucking up the Ebonheart docks with the blood stains. I was going to fix that in the sequel, but again, oh well.  ::)

I'm thinking of perhaps a book...a diary?...that resolves the unresolved and so on. Maybe a chest full of books washes up on the beach? There's a thought. A page torn from a journal lays on top of the books inside the chest:

'Batten down everything, Cho-Jin!' they say...what do they think I am, their errand boy? So me and cook are the only men on the ship. That doesn't make us their slaves! Xi Ling is the worst of the lot. She thinks I exist only to carry out her whims. When she's not ordering me about like she was the Supreme Warlord, she's scribbling down this or that, transcribing entire conversations...blech.

She's going to be a "scholar," she claims. Well, good luck with that. Even though she can't swing a sword worth a damn, she's gotta be useful for *something*. Still, I don't think they'll let you be a scholar if you're stupid. And she's plenty stupid. So she can write and take notes. Big deal! She never had an original thought in her life. Glorified secretary. All she's good for is loitering in the market and flirting with the stock boys. She'll never amount to anything. She thinks she's so smart because she can read and write Cyrodiilic. Big deal. Their language is a crude weapon made for discussing the weather, not an elegant art form like Khovian.

But, thanks to the Supreme Warlord's infinite wisdom, we gotta be able not only to write, but also to *think* in their language, just in case the dumb bastards try to invade us. I don't see why the Warlord doesn't just send a bunch of Black Lotuses to kill their silly emperor king and be done with the whole thing. Pfah.

Anyway, I wonder what Xi Ling would do if she didn't have those precious books? I have half a mind to toss her stupid chest of books over the side. In fact...I think I will! So if you're reading this, know that I, Cho-Jin of the Eastern Cliffside Majesties of Kho, tossed Xi Ling's stupid chest overboard! Let's see her try to pass her exams without her oh-so-important final essay on Kuan-Po! She'll be kicked out of the academy and be forced to get a REAL job! HA! Take THAT, you future fishwife!

I'll have to think about that a bit more...

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 12:53:15 PM »
 Keep thinking. I like the thoughts.  ;D

The dialog was one of the best things about Black Netch, but the armor, to put it in PES terms, kicked ass. All my PC's still use at least parts of it, it's in all my installs.

Interesting: I've been playing Princess Stomper's "Ghostgate" mod, which turns all the Ur-related sites into a big resort. Like they did with Gettysburg in the real world. I left the BN mod installed, and all the mercs are still standing around, without a clue. Actually quite funny. No conflicts, except a little bit in the Inner Facility, with the pillow fort and all.  I went into TESCS and fixed it. I had to. I love those merc folks, really do.
    And I would miss the bloody docks. I enjoy the mess, and the way the good citizens of Ebonheart ignore it. Good times, good times......disgusting, but.....good times.....

everything