Author Topic: Tomb Raider reboot  (Read 2944 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Tomb Raider reboot
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:11:36 AM »
I loved the last trilogy of Tomb Raider games -- Legend, Anniversary and Underworld -- which tied together the myth that we are but one of many "planes" of existence, and whose discovery unfortunately took Lara's mother when she was a child. Unfortunately, I must have been the only one, as sales of the once-proud franchise didn't meet projections (but still WAAAY better than TRs 3-5).

So the whole series is getting a reboot, all the way to redefining who Lara Croft is. Gone is the spoiled rich woman and her mansion, and in her place is a naive 20-something who get's shipwrecked and must fend for herself against the elements. Teaser video here.

It also appears that the various levels are gone, replaced by a single open-world island that will require Lara to rig gear together to gain new areas. It all sounds really fresh and exciting, and probably necessary as games like Assassin's Creed and The Saboteur have shown how you can have athletic prowess infiltrate new heights. Supposedly to be released in Fall 2012, so we'll see next year.

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
Re: Tomb Raider reboot
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
 This sounds interesting. I played the first TR game a hundred years ago and kind of enjoyed it. This open world thing could work. If they keep the key bashing on a quasi reasonable level, I could get into this. Maybe. :lol:

After watching the video, I'm convinced they should make a new movie too. I never bought Angelina Jolie as Lara, sorry. I'd like to see the lady who's in the video. That's more the real life LC I imagine. Yummy yum yum. She has normal lips. I mean, I like lips as much as the next guy who likes lips, but Angelina's lips disturb me. Lips....

Mmmmm, lips....

Nom nom nom nom....

Tiens, voilĂ  du boudin...

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »
Angeline Jolie. Lisa Rinna. Tomb Raider: Collagen Generations. (Collagenerations? Huh. That might work. Get that down to the boys in Marketing, see if they can get that on the posters.) The story of Lara Croft through several stages of her life, including death and beyond. The part of Dead Lara will be represented by an enormous pair of misshapen lips. The part of her guide through the hoary underworld, Dead Celine Dion (who will be further ruining music forever thanks to her inclusion on the soundtrack), will be depicted as a giant rotting squirrel vagina with warts and bugs and stuff all over it.

And if there's room for a totally bare-assed naked Scarlett Johanssen (as seen in that lovely gif above), then by all that's holy, DO IT.

And where isn't there room for a naked Scarlett? A Biblical epic, perhaps? No! Perfectly acceptable!

MOSES: My fellow Jews...she went thatwaway!

ALL THE JEWS IN EGYPT: [rocket out of Egypt in hot pursuit]

As long as they don't get some whiny voice actress, I can handle it. Something more sophisticated than the chipmunks featured on TV. That's why all the dudes have earbuds crammed deep into their auditory canals. "Hi! I'm Buhrittanyie and I can use my whiny irritating voice to make you CLAW OUT YOUR OWN EYES."

But, uh...yeah. Looking forward to the reboot. :lol:
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »
As much as I enjoyed the work Crystal Dynamics did after taking over the franchise, the whole series has unfortunately strayed from its roots.  In the original game, the only time you ever encountered human adversaries was boss battles.  Otherwise it was just you, a remote locale, wild animals, and booby traps.  Most TR games nowadays are designed as action movies pitting Lara against gun-toting goons.

Therefore, I'm watching this reboot with keen interest.  Leave the Indiana Jones style to Uncharted, and get back to what made TR cool in the first place.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »
This looks really exciting, and is a completely new twist on Lara.

As one IGN editor writes: Of the many great E3 2011 games I've seen so far, Tomb Raider is my favorite!

I wants!

everything