Author Topic: DNF Reviews are coming in...  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
DNF Reviews are coming in...
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:46:46 PM »
.... and they're somewhat lackluster.

They're not all bad, and I certainly don't think many people expected this to be a pedestal of gaming (although deep down we may have hoped) but it is discouraging to see the game get panned just hours before its official release.

That said, I will do my best not to get discouraged, and will withhold judgment until the "Balls of Steel" Edition arrives later this week. Even if the game is just okay, the opportunity to have a Duke bust on my desk puts a smile on my face!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: DNF Reviews are coming in...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 02:29:19 AM »
And yet Gearbox never hided the fact that people shouldn't get their hopes up. This game wasn't supposed to be the pinnacle of gaming but the closure of an era. Looking at something that has been in development for 12 years during which it had known more downs than ups, what could we expect? Gearbox released this game because it needed to be done in order to get rid of the whole vaporware issue and to move to better things for the Duke franchise. It might not be the best game ever but at least it has the merit to exist.

I think reviewers should keep that in mind, take DNF for what it is and don't hit Gearbox for achieving what 3DRealms was unable to do... release the game in the first place.

What will be interesting to see is how Gearbox will shape the franchise in the future... assuming that sales prove that enough people are still interested in it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 06:56:10 AM »
My review here.

Long story short, some major legacy issues based on 3D Realms' original design elements, but I feel that Gearbox has crafted a fairly fun game that I'll actually replay.

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:38:32 PM »

Duke Nukem PR Firm Dropped

US game website 1Up said the game was one "not even the most maladjusted 13-year-old could love", IGN described it as a "muddled, hypocritical exercise in irritation" although compensated for by "solid shooting mechanics", and Gamespot UK said "it turns a famous gaming icon into an embarrassment".

Duke has never had an easy time of it.
Tiens, voilĂ  du boudin...

Offline bobdog

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 01:47:57 PM »
Almost all of these are playing the console versions, which from all accounts is FINALLY much inferior to the PC version!!!  :love: Lord knows we've gotten enough of their shite before; it's like reverse-consolitis (but only because DNF was first crafted on PC BEFORE consoles even existed....  ::)  ). For example, they mention laggy controls and 60-90 second delays between levels -- the longest I experienced was 10 seconds and averaged 8 seconds in the load screen, so anyone saying otherwise must be playing the console version.

Graphically, I "think" it's on the Unreal 3 engine, but it had that weird artifacting error where you'd enter an area, and all the graphics would "sharpen" up suddenly, something I experienced on Wolfenstein recently. Again, the superiority of the PC can take up the slack, but for consoles, they can't process quickly enough, leading to the lag and other errors. Honestly, DNF should have been a PC exclusive, because its console testers didn't do a very good job by all indications.

I think the best comment I've read is that DNF, a game in gestation for 12 years, actually needed MORE time to improve all these errors....  :computerfix:

It was goofy mindless fun, something lacking from nearly all FPS today, which are so serious. I hope they can improve for Duke Five-O, to be based in Hawaii.

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:56:38 PM »
Almost all of these are playing the console versions, which from all accounts is FINALLY much inferior to the PC version!!!  :love:

That's good to hear. :ok:

I'm too fond of Duke not to give it a whirl one day. Lord knows I've played every other DN thing there is to play out there. Why stop now?  ;D
Tiens, voilĂ  du boudin...

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 05:31:16 PM »
I've found it boring with the occasional amusing segment mixed in. It's not Daikatana bad, but honestly most reviewers are showing their immaturity by rating it lower than the latter.
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:44:30 PM »
Part of the problem is that this game is held to such a high standard with the number of fans and the long-development time. If it becomes a hit when the work that went into it could've been, as Yahtzee put it, "farted out by a competent studio within a year", then it looks bad for the industry as a whole.

Personally, I'm enjoying it, but recognize that it's only a mediocre experience at best in terms of gameplay. Duke 3D is much better on that front.

The point about consoles is interesting though.... sadly, that'll probably get lost in the noise.

Offline hammer1

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 11:54:41 AM »
I cant imagine Gearbox would have bought the rights to this Franchise, just to take it on the chin. I'm guessing they will rebound with a completely updated alien ass kicking, womanizing, foul mouthed, I'm all out of gum Duke most of us know and love!! I guess it'll be wait and see!

Offline GreyMouser

• Forums Keeper
  • It's all so UNREAL to me.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
The net abounds with rumors of a coming DLC for DNF.... ::)
Check out this report at....e.gamer.com

The also is a rumor folting about "unpolished levels", that Gearbox cut from the final release of DNF, will be polished up and released as a DLC... ::)
I just wonder, what Gearbox considers "unpolished" combared to what they left in the game.....???

.......................:smoking:
The Beauty is in the "Play".

Offline bobdog

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »
At this point, they may need every possible bit of funding to offset losses caused by all the poor reviews. Hopefully they've learned from this experience....

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 07:42:42 PM »
If they want to impress me, it's time for a revamped state of the art kickass "DUKE IT OUT IN D.C. 2012" featuring a half naked, dancing Sarah Palin.
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!

Offline bobdog

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 10:45:11 AM »
Here's your chance to tell Gearbox what went wrong w/DNF -- a survey that just takes a second.