Author Topic: Portal 2 Custom Maps  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Portal 2 Custom Maps
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »
For those of us who played and finished Portal 2, you'll probably have noticed that once the main campaigns are finished, there's very little to come back to. Unlike the original, there are no challenge or advanced maps to play around in (although those are supposed to be coming in an update this summer) but in the meantime there are custom maps available with PlanetPhillip and Thinking With Portals. Until Valve updates Portal 2's addon support to a Left 4 Dead style system, all maps have to be loaded in the console, making it very easy to lose track of what's installed. Unlike most Left 4 Dead custom maps, the filesize for most maps is very small, due likely in part to mapping contests requiring users to design using Valve's content.

Here's a couple I've tried that show Valve-level quality and potential:

Retrospective - My personal favorite from the batch I've played so far. In it, your character alternates between exploring GlaDoS's archived Portal chambers to exploring ruined versions of test chambers from the original Portal. The level is HUGE compared to levels from the core game, and is very well designed. Where the map really shines is in how Aperture is portrayed as a a decrepit and ruined place, in the form of computer and AI error messages, collapsing passageways, and darkened hallways. Most of the remakes of original Portal chambers were ones I didn't realize were remakes until halfway through because the mapper did an excellent job of showing them in a new light.

Old Faithful - Also contains the creator's first Portal 2 map, "Sphere of Roundess". Each new release appears to be an addition to a new campaign set in the sealed off portions of Aperture. Each map consists of multi-part chambers that you'll have to travel back and forth in to find the path to the exit elevator. Unlike Retrospective, which jumps between ruined and brand-spanking new chambers in the same map, these take a single map style and craft the puzzles to perfection within it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:52:48 AM by Fanghawk »

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Portal 2 Custom Maps
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:39:56 PM »
Agreed on Old Faithful.

I also liked:
- DaMaGepy’s Portal 2 map #1
- Daisycutter 01
- The Vault

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Re: Portal 2 Custom Maps
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »
Thinking With Portals recently held their Summer Mapping Initiative contest, in which mappers had a certain period of time to complete a map just using Portal 2 content. They received around 240 submissions, and have announced their winners! I'll add comments once I've had a chance to try them out, but in the meantime here are the winners starting from first place:

Patent Pending - SP map by ebola
Infinifling - SP map by MrTwoVideoCards
Edifice - SP map by Omnicoder
Delta Bunsen - SP map by Lobster
Cubes 'n' Funnels - SP map by Will T.
Redirecting Redirection - Co-op map by MrTwoVideoCards
Fast Bridge - Co-op map by Skotty

Honorable mention to Fling Bridge, a map by Kosire for being the next highest rated co-op map at 11th place.

EDIT - Cubes 'n' Funnels also happens to be the third map by Will T., creator of Old Faithful! Nope, Delta Bunsen's Lobster is the creator of Old Faithful. Whoops!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:02:28 PM by Fanghawk »

everything