Author Topic: Old World Blues DLC  (Read 6979 times)

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
Old World Blues DLC
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:28:10 AM »
Has anyone played it yet? I've already been told by one person that it'll disappoint me and another person that they might as well have ripped off both Portal and Half-Life 2, but I was curious to see what you folks might have to say about it.
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Old World Blues DLC
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »
I have yet to play it...or any of the other DLC, for that matter...but I was going to get them all this weekend, just for fun's sake. I'll play through and be back with a (hopefully) not too morose verdict.  :lol:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:28:21 AM »
Well I just downloaded those so a word of advice if you are using Steam. After the download 66% of the files were missing. Steam only downloaded the sound BSA for each DLC. I had to verify the integrity of the game cache to allow Steam to spot the missing files and download them.

I assume this is only happening if you already have the game installed and that you add the DLC to it. A full installation should include everything.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:31:55 PM »
Okay. Quick sketch:

Dead Money: Excellent; possibly the best of the DLCs so far.

Honest Hearts: Buggy piece of crashware. I couldn't wait to get out of friggin' Utah.

Old World Blues: Hilarious, although it could be a pain in the ass for the impatient and those who dislike bad guys spawning from thin air. (Hi.)

Additionally, many OWB hostiles have a curiously high Damage Threshold; my (custom) (overpowered) weapons weren't as effective in Big MT as they are in the Mojave. :ss-disbelief

But, in answer: I think OWB is worth it. The new stealth suit is...interesting**...as is the K9000 Cyberdog gun. Unfortunately, the goodies are pretty fragile in general (the LAER gun has a health of 50! That's only a few shots until it breaks...fortunately for me, I have a no-degradation mod) and don't hurt the bad guys as much as they should. Still, the story is the most important thing, not the sucky combat featuring, again, BAD GUYS SPAWNING OUT OF THIN AIR. Plot over combat this time.
[** Someone said, "Make it talk!" And I say, "Okay...now make it shut up."]

The next (and most likely final) DLC is "Lonesome Road" and should be out in a month or so, I guess.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:43:27 AM »
Well, for me the winner is OWB. The humor is definitely there and the mad science is well... hilarious as Silver said. Even the stealth suit is hilarious... at first. Not the first time we get an armor that talks (F3 experimental power armor was like that) and it's true that although fine at the beginning it may get on the nerves later on especially because of the same lines said over and over again. Which is too bad because the stats of the suit are very fine for stealthy characters (like me) even though the armor texture is horrible -- it's like crying out loud "I'm here! Shoot me!". Well, one can always fire the GECK to correct that  :lol:

Second would be Dead Money. Why second and not first? Well it's just personal experience. I felt that Obsidian managed to screw a perfectly brilliant idea with another brilliant idea. Let me explain: they went for a creepy setting for this DLC and they managed to do it nicely. But then there is the exploding collar thanks to which I probably died more times in just this DLC than in the rest of the game. So after a while I was so focused on getting my way through the Sierra Madre without having my head exploded that I forgot entirely about the creepy setting so the first brilliant idea went down the drain due to the second one which in the end -- even though justified -- just proved to be an utter annoyance. And the final battle was not satisfying enough to me. After all I went through I did not just want to kill "someone" but to make him particularly regret to have ever been born before dying. Unfortunately I didn't get my wish because he was dead after a short series of shots and he didn't even begged for mercy... Bastard.

It has to be noted that those two DLC contain elements pertaining to the same storyline, a storyline that is to be concluded in "Lonesome Road". It may not be obvious at first and it requires you to dig some holotapes from the Big MT in 4 different locations, two of them being not particularly easy to access. And although playing Old World Blues first allows you to better understand some things happening in Dead Money, Dead Money is meant to be played first (or you risk like me to have a pretty stupid conversation at one point because you already know the answers to some questions your character is going to ask).

BTW Would Christine be the girlfriend that was forced to break up with Veronica? Interestingly that's the first thing that popped in my mind when she explained her grudge against Elijah  :lol:

2nd BTW Finishing Dead Money gives you two items that you can use with Veronica. They're not essential but it's mildly amusing. The first is a message to Veronica you find in Elijah's computer in the BoS bunker and the second one is Vera's Outfit... Remember Veronica complaining about a fine dress... Well, this is it.

Now there is the matter of Honest Hearts. And here I really don't know what to say... It's probably that I'm just so fed up with the Legion stuff that learning what happened to Joshua... I couldn't care less. Forgettable. And the new weapons models are awfully done with some very bad texturing (even the very first Call of Duty featured a Thompson that was better looking than this one).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:39:59 AM »
It's probably a good idea we can't interact verbally with the stealth suit. Imagine telling it shut up, hurting its feelings, and you have to listen to it crying. Then it becomes angry...resentful...and full of spite. Now what you have is something that wants you taken out. Say you're sneaking past a typical small group of FNV-brand Deathclaws -- say, 15 or 20 -- and your suit starts screaming "HEY! OVER HERE! I'M A PLUMP JUICY COURIER! EAT ME!!"

Btw, the default suit may be somewhat Tron-like, but there is a solution! OWB Stealth Suit Mk II - Master Overhaul. Not only does it retexture to something far better (sorta Crysis-ish), you can also upgrade it via the workbench.

Dead Money: That's true; I reloaded way too many times due to my head exploding. Far too often, maintaining some sort of stealth advantage over Ghost People was wrecked by a frantic scramble to find a speaker or radio that was setting off my collar.

As for the last bad guy, I opted for the sneaky solution: I slipped out and waited for the hardware to take him out. Sadly, he had no trouble dealing with them. (:madatwall:) So I just shot him with the holorifle. Problem solved. Not elegant by any means, but by the end of it I was getting tired of the whole thing anyway. I was just weary of the whole "beep...beep...beep...beepbeep beepBOOM" thing.

Another mod BTW: if you're tired of your companions' heads exploding, Dead Money Essential Companions just might help. And although I haven't tried this one yet, Dead Money - No Collar Explosion and No Poison Cloud Damage sounds intriguing.

Still, I liked the tightly-focused gameplay, and look forward to Lonesome Road which is rumored to be somewhat similar in nature, instead of a huge explore-fest like OWB.

The intertwined storylines are fascinating (unlike FNV's plot), and there's even a hint or two in Honest Hearts...not that I cared, what with all the random crashing. Beautiful landscape work, but terrible problems.

I did find it somewhat strange, after finishing the DLC and returning to the Mojave, that everything seemed so...well...bland. Back to the humdrum, I sighed. A while later I stumbled across a bunch of Night Stalkers and wiped 'em all out with just one (incendiary) grenade round, and I was suspicious. "That was too easy," I grumbled, "they must be planning something." After dealing with high-DT Lobotomites who were overly fleet of foot and highly aware, Fiends aren't a problem at all. Started hanging out in Deathclaw areas... :lol:

Oh, that's another thing about OWB: in the interiors -- most of the time -- stealth was effective. But outside, the bad guys were insanely perceptive and knew exactly where I was, even though I had 100 in Sneak *and* was wearing the stealth suit. (By way of experimentation, I tried out my stealth field suit; it didn't make a lot of difference as they eventually homed in on me regardless.) I mean, they could see me from a long way off, and they were way too agile, I guess you might say.

I've always been irritated by the AI in FO3 and FNV anyway; their dumbass dodging and strafing and weaving makes VATS a necessity at times (but of course!)...and this was just another example of that. At one point, I accidentally disarmed one of the Harness Suit guys (I was aiming at his skull -- tee-hee -- but the game SUCKS in that regard and instead I hit his laser rifle  :ss-disbelief) and the bastard took off running. Even though my running speed is supposed to be faster than NPCs, I couldn't catch him (!?!)...I chased him all the way around this huge chunk of rock where he found a Lobotomite's corpse, looted its 10mm SMG, spun around, and started shooting again. I didn't know whether to be impressed or slam my head in a drawer a few times.

BTW1: I believe so. :ok:

Now that I think about it, I've only ever (willingly) hired one companion in FNV, and that was ED-E. Huh. Maybe it's time I see what Veronica is all about.

Honest Hearts...I think it would've been better if there weren't so many bad ideas and bugs. I kept getting things -- White Legs, geckos, and giant yao guai -- spawning behind me, it crashed way too much, and the story was just...blah. I would have preferred that they made it more exploration-friendly, as the landscape is incredible. But it seems like I have a tribesperson attached to my ass the whole time (and they make you feel so guilty when you tell them to go home) and a demanding psychological need to escape before the Mormons got me. "I'm a deacon in the Starry Wisdom church," I shout over my shoulder as gingham-clad missionaries chase me through the canyons, "and if I had my shining trapezohedron, you'd be sorry!"

But back to OWB for a moment: Muggy and the Toaster made up for the irritations.  :ok:

And now for a few screenshots. You know you love them.

They keep spotting me, for some reason...I wonder why...

The standard stealth suit:
I wonder if I look as lobotomized as I feel?

The retextured stealth suit:

Bonus: back in the Mojave, starting a new for-profit group, Furiously Unethical Cazador Killing:

My eyes are crossing and my fingers hurt. It must be time to stop typing.

Offline Lord Mantrid

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:48:14 AM »
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I DEMAND a DLC involving Anthony House.
Spoiler

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 11:31:53 PM »
I'd like more Anthony Banks DLC...but when I think about it, his entire career has been DLC.

(Sorry, Tony. Loved A Curious Feeling.)

Quick update: according to Jason Bergman (a major person), Lonesome Road will be out this month (which is August, for those of you keeping track. I'm not. I have -- no shit -- at least ten calendars, and I still have trouble remembering what month this is); the link to the post:

Good lord, you guys are paranoid.

It will be out in August. We delayed OWB because of the patch. We don't have that worry with LR.

Actual date will be announced soon (don't ask me when, I don't make those decisions).

At least I'll be ready for it. Probably.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:03:27 AM »
But back to OWB for a moment: Muggy and the Toaster made up for the irritations.  :ok:

Indeed. "Do you have mugs?" is about to become my favorite line in gaming  :lol:

Now that I think about it, I've only ever (willingly) hired one companion in FNV, and that was ED-E. Huh. Maybe it's time I see what Veronica is all about.

Well, I generally hire them, do their sidequest and leave them at the lucky 38 after that because they are such a pain in the ass regarding gameplay. It's just about impossible to go stealth with one of them on your heels. Worst case scenario... Boone. I took him once for a visit in a factory full of raiders and traps. I was busy disarming a couple of mines near some explosive gas canisters and he decided to go track raiders ahead and detonated all the mines on the way. Good job. The only thing they are good for is to soak fire in a full scale assault situation and I tend to avoid those.

Btw, the default suit may be somewhat Tron-like, but there is a solution! OWB Stealth Suit Mk II - Master Overhaul.

I tried that a few days ago but for some reason I experienced a lot of crashes with it. So I'll wait for an update that will solve that... Hopefully. Too bad because the texture looks really good on this one.

Oh, that's another thing about OWB: in the interiors -- most of the time -- stealth was effective. But outside, the bad guys were insanely perceptive and knew exactly where I was, even though I had 100 in Sneak *and* was wearing the stealth suit. (By way of experimentation, I tried out my stealth field suit; it didn't make a lot of difference as they eventually homed in on me regardless.) I mean, they could see me from a long way off, and they were way too agile, I guess you might say.

It's true they have definitely upped the alertness of the opponents but I guess it's probably intentional (you're confronted mainly to robots and cybernetically enhanced beings and lobotomites that may be without a brain but that do have goggles  ;D It takes 100 sneak, Silent Running and -- curiously -- a high level character to do the trick. My level 35 character had little problems sneaking while my level 18 run in a lot of troubles.

You also want to make sure about the esm load order. After I first installed the DLC FalloutNV.esm was a the bottom of the list instead of the top (thanks for that Steam) and even though it doesn't prevent the game from loading it really screw up things and most certainly stealth if it was altered in OWB.

The intertwined storylines are fascinating (unlike FNV's plot)

Yeah, isn't it curious that the DLC do a much better job in that area than the main game? Or that some of the side quests in the main game are much better than the main plot?

And although I haven't tried this one yet, Dead Money - No Collar Explosion and No Poison Cloud Damage sounds intriguing.

The cloud damage doesn't bother me much but I did "disarm" the collar for a second playthrough. It keeps beeping so I can keep track of the number of times I die but it never explode (except for one or two specially scripted events.

Quick update: according to Jason Bergman (a major person), Lonesome Road will be out this month

So will be Deus Ex; Human Revolutions. Let's hope they didn't choose the exact same day.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 01:43:29 AM »
Franchise compromise: a hulking, surly security bot who asks: "Do you have mugs?" [disgusted scoff] "Of course you don't have mugs. The mugs are a lie."

I normally stay away from companions, as 1) it's hard to maintain my rep as a mysterious psychotic loner when I have a friend along, and 2) behavior just as you described. They're a nightmare for a stealthy character...

Huh...that's too bad about the stealth suit. It's funny about FNV mods: some will work for some people, but not for others. I think it may be the GECK's fault; a lot of modders claim that it's broken, although being a casual user of the thing, just skimming the surface of what's possible, I can't tell if it is or not. But I think you can just put the meshes and textures into the right places, they'll work...except for the gloves. The gloves will be the fingerless ones. And you won't get the glowing lights, either.

What I could do is throw together a plugin that'll add his textures and the new gloves, without all the scripts and other changes. Aha! A new project! Yay!  You won't get the workbench upgrades, but at least the textures will be changed. Ten minutes in the GECK, tops. I'll get on that in a moment.

I tried out EVE just the other day, and while it's probably one of the most interesting mods I've tried, it crashed the hell out of the game. It's most likely my system, so I'll give it a try after I upgrade my video card...get new RAM...install Win7...and so on.

(That reminds me: the first thing many people thought when they saw the Skyrim gameplay trailer was most likely "Dragons! Cool!" My first thought was "I'm gonna need a new video card...")

FNV and load order...god. They release DLC and they're all over the place, loading before the main master, buggering the gameplay...fortunately, FOMM can handle that. I see people swearing by BOSS, but I don't know...it's not like I'm running hundreds of mods.  ::)

Yeah, isn't it curious that the DLC do a much better job in that area than the main game? Or that some of the side quests in the main game are much better than the main plot?

Yes, curiously so...it's like they were counting on the side quests to flesh the game out, rather than bulk up the barebones plot. At least Obsidian was being consistent with Bethesda's current philosophy (simplistic plot, three zillion side quests)...that's what makes it so hard to leave Sierra Madre and Big MT (rot in hell, Utah). Time to get back to tracking down Benny.  :sleepy2:

Huh...if Lonesome Road and DXHR come out the same time, LR loses.  :lol:

I'm seriously considering buying DX through Steam...$53.99 for the Augmented Edition, plus the preorder bonus of DX GOTY. But thinking about it, I already have 2 or 3 copies of DX GOTY, and I have no use for collectable trinkets...I could just save myself $4 and buy the regular version...great: another conundrum.

Note that they aren't offering DXIW in that deal. Besides the fact that just about everyone disliked it (I thought it was okay, but John P's textures made it better), I think there may be a few technical problems that no one wants to deal with. For example, I can't get it to run on my system for one reason or another. I don't care enough to find out why, as I keep remembering how godawful that HUD was. And I wonder just how bad that's going to look in widescreen. Best to let it die in obscurity...

[EDIT: English *is* my first language, despite evidence to the contrary. :ss-disbelief)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:47:55 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
What is amusing about the next DLC Lonesome Road is that it was planned a long time ago. If you travel just south of Primm and make a hard turn West toward the mountains passing a drive-in on your right you eventually come to a pass (populated by a whole family of coyotes) where there is a lot of junk blocking the way and some really intriguing graffiti. I never made any special note about that until I heard the name of this DLC :lol: The mysterious courier is obviously the one that turned down the job for the platinum chip. I'm kinda eager to meet the guy because I want answer and it'd better be good ones.

The entry point of the quest could be a) this pass... or b) Lone Wolf Radio a little North that never had any obvious purpose other than being there  :realconfused:

The stealth suit, believe it or not, I already tried to make a new esp with the texture and meshes but without the scripting because it looks good. It worked like a charm except that the crashes were still there (even with the previous overhaul mod disabled). But then starting two days ago I experienced a new series of crashes that were apparently due to another mod (apparently because disabling this one solved the problem). Problem is this crash-prone mod was also installed when I first tested the suit overhaul. So I guess  I will give it another try. I was busy today importing my favorite silenced sniper rifle from F3 into FNV because nobody else cared to do it , not even the original author :cryingloud:  :lol: That was my first weapon import (generally I'm more into scripting) so it was an occasion to learn.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 02:53:56 PM »
Right here:

I found that a little too obvious when I first saw it, but I thought it was just another of those unfathomable mysteries thrown at the player in order to create atmosphere.

That's good news: at least it isn't the stealth suit.  :ok:  I had problems with EVE, and even after I disabled it...why? Because there were all these meshes and textures left over... :madatwall:

I've been messing with some things lately, I don't know why. Guess I'm just bored. Here's a fun puzzler: try to find the worst problem in this shot:

That's right, I'm using a vanilla hairstyle the laser projectile is coming out of the top barrel, which is not as impressive as it would be if it were using the lower barrel. However, the lower barrel is for a grenade launcher, so...I don't know. I'm just about fed up with this particular mesh, as it's proven to be a real pain to deal with...texture weirdness, mesh weirdness...it's a mess.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 09:56:45 PM »
Contrary to my usual Messenger Of Gloom update, the OWB Stealth Suit MK II v3.0 has been released. Now with a helmet and improved textures.

EDIT: Oh, wait...here he is right now.

Messenger of Gloom says: there's a Med-X bug, and the rebreather function of the helmet doesn't work, reportedly.

The rebreather thing doesn't surprise me, as I had a hell of time getting it working in my own mod, only to break the actual rebreather you get from the Boomers. Is it so hard just to leave "water breathing" in the damn editor?? Go ahead and reinvent the wheel each time you squeeze one more game out of this crappy engine, dumbasses...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:02:41 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Lord Mantrid

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
So, I played it, and I want to ask you guys... What do you think about Dr. 0? Do you think he's Anthony House? He sure seems to have a lot of built up angst against Robert House (including the poster in his home.) Makes you wonder...
Spoiler

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 10:13:05 AM »
Interesting...could be. But I'm unreliable, as whenever the name "Zero" comes up, I think of the Cannibal Corpse cover of "Zero the Hero". Worse, I might just blurt out, for no reason, "A comedy tonight!" :realconfused:

everything