Author Topic: The Last Stand - Union City  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
The Last Stand - Union City
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
The Last Stand is my favorite flash game series on the internet, and after poking around online one night, I discovered that the third long-awaited chapter has been released!

Unlike the first two games, which were basically tower defense games with zombies, Last Stand: Union City is an RPG set in a major urban center during a zombie apocalypse. Your character re-enters the city in an attempt to find their spouse, and will end up fighting their way through increasingly larger and stronger zombie hordes, relying on scavenged supplies, weapons, even an optional friendly companion for survival.

Customization is a major addition to the series, starting right from the beginning with a character builder when you start the game. Not only can you choose you visual appearance, you can also pick from a list of pre-infestation occupations that effect your starting stats. Law Enforcement will have a good understanding of small arms, Military will have experience with higher-grade weapons etc, but there’s also non-combative options. I ended up choosing IT Technician for my character, which provides boosts to your intelligence and searching skills, which comes in handy when you’re trying to find supplies. If you don’t find anything you like on the list, you can create a custom profession and assign stats as you see fit. There will also be lots of clothing items you’ll come across along the way to change your appearance, including shirts, pants, shoes, glasses, hats, and even bandanas, most of which will overlap with each other to create a custom look.

I can’t say too much about the game yet, as I’ve only played through a few districts. What I have seen so far is very well done. I’m hoping the game won’t be too short, but there are lots of nice little details that flesh out what is there; weapons have noise levels that attract nearby zombies, the more difficult Survival mode requires you to manage food and sleep as well as your ammunition, and so forth. So far I’ve found a companion, provided her with a hatchet, and built up my stats in Security (for lockpicking), Pistols, Rifles, and Blunt Objects. To keep from getting swarmed by zombies, I’ve become mighty fierce with a recently discovered shovel, although I expect I’ll start coming across swarms of armored zombies eventually and will need to upgrade to something louder.

Either way, it’s a promising start to a game by an established designer. Check it out!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:26:58 AM by Fanghawk »

Offline OrlopRat

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
Re: The Last Stand - Union City
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on this thing. I've only messed around a small bit with it but it looks like it'll be fun. Pretty high quality stuff. I always enjoyed these kind of games :onethumb:

And it gives me something different to do while I'm not waiting for Skyrim... :lol:
Tiens, voilà du boudin...

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
Re: The Last Stand - Union City
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:21:51 AM »
I ran across it a few months ago when it was still a beta. I really enjoyed it. I just get distracted easily so I didn't fi... SHINY!!!
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!