Author Topic: They Called It "Rage" Because...  (Read 6336 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
They Called It "Rage" Because...
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »
...it's a lot less offensive than "Clusterfuck".

Very cool intro movie, though. I've seen it six times already. And it keeps getting funnier every time I see it, because I imagine id Software is in the meteor's direct path. Enjoy Hell, Carmack...

An Explanation: damned thing crashes right after the intro movie. I've updated my drivers with no effect other than the usual irritations associated with installing new drivers.

I don't recall Doom being this buggy. (Now there's a loaded statement for you. How many ways can YOU argue against it? No, no...I don't care.)

Clearly, the assimilation of id into the Zenimax Collective has proven to be for the worst. A $60 downloadable brick. How nice.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline bobdog

Re: They Called It "Rage" Because...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »
So ... I take it I should wait until the kinks get worked out?  :funup:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »
Yeah, I'd say so...at least until they finish the public beta. ::)

I'm just concerned that if I finally do get the game running, I'll just have to deal with the godawful streaming texture problems.

Hate to say it, but Carmack and friends should just pack it in and go home.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 11:41:23 PM »
Well, at least it suits Bethesda "release the damn thing and expect the gaming community to fix it" philosophy.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 12:08:13 AM »
I know that by saying this I'll have to watch out for "Siver Sorrow Special" pit traps being dug in my floors for the next month or so, but... Rage has been providing me with few problems. I just wish I could record it.
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 02:37:15 AM »
Oh, no...I don't begrudge you your fun ...rotten stinking no-good... By all means, have a blast. Just step right over...there... :purplelaugh:

It's true: being part of the Zenimax family means never having to say you're sorry OR finish a game. That's what patches and DLC are for.

I respect John Carmack for many reasons, but not every idea is automatically brilliant, or even worth forming. I know, for example, it's a good idea to drink filtered water instead of directly from the tap (especially around here); it's a bad idea to look straight down into the garbage disposal while dropping glass shards into it (that's two bad ideas, for the record). Megatextures? Willingly being assimilated by Bethesda's overlords? See, I just wish he'd run those big ideas through a filter first. Maybe ask a few questions. Such as:

1. Is it a *good* idea?

2. Will my decisions cause someone in the American Southwest to plan my demise in great detail?

3. Should I have him killed pre-emptively?

4. If so, who used the Kill Truck last? Romero?

5. And if it was Romero, should I wonder what happened to Killcreek?

[Side Note: Speaking of Ms. Case, remember that PC Gamer cover about "The Next Game Gods"? Here you go. This may be one reason I never renewed my subscription, but the main reason was that the mag itself devolved until it was about as lengthy as a pamphlet for a nail salon, and about as in-depth.]

6. What the hell am I doing investing time creating a new franchise? Why not remake Quake?

7. You know what? Why NOT remake Quake?

ANYWAY.

I'm giving them a couple of days to get it sorted out...I mean, what can I do? Can't get a refund, so I'm stuck with it. If I can't run it with this rig, I'll just have to wait until I can upgrade. I say this with all reasonable philosophy now, but I'm just too tired to...I'm not going to say anything about raging against a machine. I won't. You can't make me.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:32:08 AM »
At least you're not a raging alcoholic....

(see what I did there?  :lol:  )

I think I still have that New Game Gods issue somewhere. I think the only one who has made anything of themselves lately is American McGee ... sort of. And I think Cliffy B came out with something at some point....

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 03:51:32 AM »
Unfortunately, I can't afford that kind of rage. ;D

These guys were rock stars (not Stevie; she was just Romero's girlfriend)...but the wheels fell off at some point.

Somewhat irrelevant, possibly: I recall some multi-level HL mod (I think I even reviewed it...hell, I once reviewed my own key chain back then), the basis of which was a high school, and it featured CliffyB as the bad guy...a lot of gay slurs, lisping, and references to sodomy in the showers. To this day, I'm still not sure if it was supposed to be funny.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 06:44:51 AM »
Was it ... "The Gay-te"? (drum snap)

:funup:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 12:43:48 PM »
No, but that's something I'll file away for later use.  :ok:

Okay, got a joke for you:

John Carmack walks into a bar. The bartender asks, "Hey! Where's my money?" Carmack says, "I WIPED MY ASS WITH IT, BITCH!"

[wiping away tears of amused rage]

Ah, those crazy id moppets. And Steam? Ah, Steam. Still haven't gotten back to me on that refund request.

Offline GreyMouser

• Forums Keeper
  • It's all so UNREAL to me.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 08:00:03 PM »
Rage..."Hard Disk Space: 25GB....... :o
"Damn!!"....:ss-wot  That's a lot for a "1st-person shooter"..... :realconfused:
I could understand if Rage was a "RPG" game...(Dragon Age asked for 20GB hard drive space.)
I bought a hard copy of Rage; and you get "3" disks to install the game.... :brainshocked:
After reading online about problems cropping up with the game, I'm taking the bobdog approach...I'll wait till they get the game patch or as bobdog put it,...
wait until the kinks get worked out....
, .....before installing the game.... :sleepy1:

............................. .........:smoking:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:44:49 AM by GreyMouser »
The Beauty is in the "Play".

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 10:28:05 PM »
(Dragon Age asked for 20GB hard drive space.)

More like 22-28 depending if you had the DLC installed or not. The thing is DA:O files are spread across two locations. The one you installed the game (that's the 20.6 GB part) and the one in My Documents folder were the savegames and DLC are stored (which on my final installation added a wealthy 7.4 GB). Dragon Age 2 on the other hand... 7GB total (without the DLC as I didn't buy them). Do one feels the difference? You bet! Not to say that size is related to overall quality but in DA case, it is  :lol:

But Rage? 25GB for a FPS is seriously well beyond the current standards. So either the textures are freakingly huge and numerous or they have packed all the files used during development no matter if they were needed or not (they wouldn't be the first ones to not perform a cleanup before release).

Anyway I pass too. It's not the lack of space... I have more than plenty of it (although at this rate I'll soon have to uninstall stuff if games continue to grow that fast and fat). The other day I was almost ready to click the "buy" button but somewhere in my head a little alarm bell wouldn't stop ringing so I listened to the inner me. Guess that was wise... In some times with a price drop and the main bugs fixed, maybe...

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 11:30:47 PM »
Yup. 25gb+ and there are still texture problems. I hesitate to throw the word "unoptimized" around, but...

Beyond the textures, they're saying all the problems are due to drivers, but I seriously doubt that. I think of it like this: your car's engine explodes and they blame it on the tires. "You didn't overinflate, did you?"

So. For anyone with an ATI/AMD card or just the simple will to live, I recommend holding off until the issues are cleared up. Of course, I have an Nvidia card and it doesn't work for me, so I suggest those of you with Nvidia cards wait, too. Just people in general, really.

Apparently it works well enough on the consoles, so that's a point for them.

Steam customer service informed me that I cannot get a refund, so I opted for store credit. (Still have yet to hear back from them on that.) I have nothing against Steam, just id. And in a few years, when I have a better computer and the game's in the Steam bargain bin, who knows? I might just...ignore it altogether.

[needle drags across vinyl]

Wait. There were 3 discs? And these were DVDs? What the hell is going on with id? Does Carmack have a tumor, or something??

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 12:52:54 PM »
Some of what I've been reading about the game points towards the game's LOD system being ridiculously conservative* in its attempts to keep the framerate at a steady 60FPS, keeping texture details low at all but rub-your-nose-against-it distances. There are a couple of ways around this, but as my video card has only 1GB of video RAM (when did 1GB of video RAM become "only"?!) I've been hesitant to try them, as every guide I've read says it really needs at least 1.5GB of video RAM to work properly.

Still can't record worth a damn, either. Which is ridiculous, since the game taxes neither my CPU nor my GPU more than 50%. It might be some sort of system I/O issue, but I record to a dedicated hard drive.

* There are reports that not only has it been asked to declare candidacy for the Republican presidential ticket, but it's already polling 10% higher than Jon Huntsman. Then again, who isn't? ZING!
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline bobdog

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 09:33:47 PM »
After reading online about problems cropping up with the game, I'm taking the bobdog approach...I'll wait till they get the game patch or as bobdog put it, "wait until the kinks get worked out.", before installing the game.... :sleepy1:

You are a very smart man ... and I'm not just saying that because you're listening to my amazing advice.

... erhm    :lol: