Author Topic: They Called It "Rage" Because...  (Read 6244 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: They Called It "Rage" Because...
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 03:23:31 AM »
I hesitate to throw the word "unoptimized" around, but...

Don't. Carmack himself kinda confirmed it in an interview on Kotaku.

We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games. That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version.

In other words: we decided to develop for consoles and throw PC gamers the leftovers. This bit is particularly intriguing:

A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it.

OK, so they successfully packed a 25GB game to play on a Xbox 360 which has 512 MB of VRAM and is significantly less powerful than a gaming PC (either mainstream or high-end) but the game not run or run like crap on the said PC. I think "unoptimized" is a correct term. Although Carmack also says that AMD and NVidia (but mainly AMD) are very very nasty people to not have released the perfect drivers for Rage on time -- even though those "perfect" drivers would have broke a bunch of features in other games; and that is the reason why AMD delayed them.

We knew that all older AMD drivers, and some Nvidia drivers would have problems with the game, but we were running well in-house on all of our test systems. When launch day came around and the wrong driver got released, half of our PC customers got a product that basically didn't work. The fact that the working driver has incompatibilities with other titles doesn't help either. Issues with older / lower end /exotic setups are to be expected on a PC release, but we were not happy with the experience on what should be prime platforms.

So what? Now we will have to install one "perfect" set of drivers per game? The problem that AMD and NVidia are confronted to is that they have to make sure their drivers will work with most games and not just one. If they only had to develop one driver per game it would be a win/win situation for them and a horrible nightmare for gamers. And then if "some" developers were working according to official guidelines and not making their own soup, maybe their titles would work well with standard AMD/NVidia drivers without the need for those to be adjusted each time.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 02:18:43 AM »
I reinstalled Rage this morn--no, it was yesterday. I remember because I don't remember yesterday at all. (It makes sense, in a way. Just go with me.) The new patch was applied and upon launching, Steam informed me that my video drivers were out of date and I should really, REALLY download the latest drivers, absolutely not kidding around about the drivers just download them, stupid!!

Problem is, I have the latest drivers installed already, but Steam and the game...apparently they have no clue. Typical. Anyway, the game actually worked, now that there's an option to switch to small texture cache-ing. I tried switching to large cache, but it crashed on me. I looked around a bit in the -- what, the Ark? Am I going to trip over Optimus Prime's body and accidentally wake up Teletraan 1? -- initial starting area, and experienced: graphics on the level of Quake 4. And horrible tearing. What was more depressing than the game not running was the game running and realizing that I'd have to deal with all this crap.

So I come back later and find an e-mail from Steam support, saying they've given me a refund in the form of store credit, and Rage is no longer in my library. Well, halle-friggin'-lujah. Finally.

I think what I'm trying to say is that Carmack can stick those perfect drivers up his ass, as far as I'm concerned. :lol:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 02:29:53 AM »
Somewhat irrelevant, possibly: I recall some multi-level HL mod (I think I even reviewed it...hell, I once reviewed my own key chain back then), the basis of which was a high school, and it featured CliffyB as the bad guy...a lot of gay slurs, lisping, and references to sodomy in the showers. To this day, I'm still not sure if it was supposed to be funny.

I remember this! It was called something like "Lunchlady Invasion" and it had Black Jesus and Levellord asks where his pants are. I think I wrote a Preparation FPS on it? I don't remember. It was a different time then.
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!

Offline bobdog

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »
Ah memories ... so many bad, bad HL1 levels were created....

Offline Lord Mantrid

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 01:42:08 AM »
Remember "Dust Runer"? That one was fun. I have my old Preparation FPS reviews saved on a computer somewhere. I'd resurrect them along with my Holly Conehead avatar, but I think I've evolved from that.
Spoiler

Offline bobdog

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 06:58:57 AM »
Welcome to "adulthood"  ;)

Offline Lord Mantrid

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 02:00:55 AM »
So adulthood is not so much acquiring taste as it is knowing when and when not to use it?

wwwhooooaaaaaaa
Spoiler

Offline bobdog

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 06:55:03 AM »
Eggzachwi!

Offline Lord Mantrid

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 11:26:45 PM »
I guess that means my dad has been mature for a long time after all. He just chooses to not be 90% of the time. But there is something to be said about a 68 year old who will randomly quote Charlie Sheen
Spoiler