Author Topic: Who's up for a co-op night?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Who's up for a co-op night?
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
Hey, you know what we haven't done for a while? Co-op gaming. We should change that. Despite my exceedingly busy playboy writer's lifestyle, I've managed to eke out a bit of free time the evening of Saturday October 29th, and it seems like it'd be fun to do some gaming with you! Yes, you!

Left 4 Dead 2 now has all of L4D's original campaigns included, officially rendering the first game largely redundant. I also have yet to play Portal 2's new "Peer Review" DLC, if only one lone player will be able to join me. HOWEVER, if we want something a different and don't mind putting some cash on it, I've come across no less than 3 games with strong co-op support that would be greatly enriched with some extra players.

Payday: The Heist is a downloadable only title that I'd originally pre-ordered to play for the Extra Life marathon, but the release was delayed until the following week so I've only been able to try it out recently.

Payday attempts to recreate the style of popular heist movies like Reservoir Dogs, The Italian Job, or The Town. Players are four "professionals" given the task of pulling off highly elaborate robberies while fighting off police assault teams and attempting to manage civilians and hostages (which can be traded to police to restore fallen players). Individual jobs have their own mission-specific objectives along the way, including finding key cards, setting up explosives, or prepping drilling machinery to get past locked doors. I've played 3 of the 6 levels so far (DLC on the way), which doesn't sound like much, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than similar-sized initial releases like Killing Floor. There's a lot of variaition between levels, including a bank job, a prison break, and even a fancy party heist. The only thing in common so far is the BRUTAL difficulty, which is set to Hard by default and only two levels have an Easy Mode option. But at the same time, if you've got a good team and play smart, it's very possible to make it through with the cash. Is this a job for the Foxhole Four?  ;D

Magicka was one of my personal favorites from Extra Life. Up to four players take on the role of a powerful (but not necessarily wise) wizard, armed with spells, 8 elements, and unlimited casting ability. There's a TON of extras in the form of DLC, most of which add "robes", equiptment, and abilities from unrelated game and movie franchises, including Warhammer, Star Trek, Tron, and even a Half-Life Headcrabbed Wizard. You can play through the entire Adventure mode in co-op, as well as special levels and challenge maps. The game is fine in single-player, but is a lot more interesting with multiple players (partly due to an Instant Resurrection spell to keep things moving, and partly because you're just as likely to kill each other by accident as your enemies.... probably what that resurrection spell is for!). Seriously guys, I cannot emphasize enough how fun this game was to play. It's 10 bucks for the core game, and I highly recommend it.

I've also been playing Dead Island although I can't quite decide if I'd recommend it to everybody.... the problem is that it's been designed solely with co-op in mind, so I can't tell if the games flaws are actually flaws, or things that would make sense with another player. It gets to the point where characters that give you missions keep speaking to you in plural as though you had friends with you, which is kinda annoying. There's also a LOT more gear around than I reasonably can carry, leading me to suggest that the group is supposed to figure out who's carrying what together. The game itself is fine, the visuals are good, and the combination of zombies and breakable weapons makes one feel helpless during a zombie apocolypse for a change. I also really like the zombie ragdoll physics: knock a zombie down without killing it, and it's body will contour to the surroundings at first, but then the zombie will start pulling itself back up in a very surprisingly natural way. Still, the more I play the more.... lonely I feel. It's very strange. I probably wouldn't recommend it for Saturday unless people were really interested, but if someone wanted to try it out, take pity on me and send me a message so I don't feel so depressed as I walk the Jungle Island Paradise.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:13:25 PM by Fanghawk »

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
Re: Who's up for a co-op night?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »
Well, now that I've finally gotten a shift change and am working normal hours with full weekends off, maybe I can start playing some co-op again! Been meaning to get you guys to play Silent Hill with me in L4D1.... :ok:
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
I know -- I've missed our regular game nights!!!

Unfortunately, I'll be at a job all next weekend, so no fun for me. Although I will get to meet David Cassidy, so there is that....  ::)

The weekend of Nov. 5-6 might be a possibility for me. Sorry, but enjoy if you guys get together!  :onethumb:

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
Correction, I got my free nights mixed up; I'll be free to some gaming the evening of Friday, October 28th. Not that it should stop anyone from gaming on Saturday night, if they so choose.

everything