Author Topic: The Skyrim Screenshot Thread  (Read 12077 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
The Skyrim Screenshot Thread
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »
Might as well start one. I thought of calling it "The Bloody Dismemberment Thread," but some of the shots aren't decapitations, sadly.

One thing that bothers me is that it's almost always dark in this game. So my screens aren't exactly lit up. Call me the anti-Kinkade...the Screenshotter Of Dark, so to speak. ::)

To begin:

A huge-ass mudcrab corpse.

The Headless Horseman:

Impalements!

Decapitations!

Celine Dion!

And now I'm off for more merriment. So much for holiday cheer.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
Re: The Skyrim Screenshot Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:03:04 AM »
Now that I'm done putzing around with my Let's Play, I can take pretty pictures! My screenshots may not be quite so messy, but they're a lot nicer for backgrounds. (Unless you like blood-splattered backgrounds. Hey, I'm not here to judge you freaks.)

(Fun fact: The console commands TM and TFC are awesome. You can also use TFC 1 to pause the game while you move the camera around.)
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:51:13 AM »
To some of us, there's nothing more beautiful -- or screenshot-worthy -- than a spray of blood across a scene of indescribable beauty. Of course, some of us don't admit such things because that would cause our court-appointed psychiatrists to make nitpicky little notes in their irritating little notepads and I swear to the Lords of Bitter Darkness that I will make that little weasel EAT that stupid notepad.

Ah. Hmm. Yes. Screenshots? Screenshots.

I forgot I even started this thread (not surprising, as there are plenty of things I've forgotten not just in the last month, but also since I woke up this morni--hang on, gotta...yeah, I remembered to shackle the bishop to the outflow pipe; glad I didn't forget this time), but never fear: I am prepared to make your browser slow to a crawl with this, my latest post!

Please, please...save your applause for later. Thank you.

Anyway: ooh, pretty!  :ok:

On to my crimes against the world's retinas:

First up, some people just can't take in how unbelievably awesome my character is:
Hail yes, wretched civil servant.

Would you three like to be alone? I could, you know, go kill a few things if you're busy...

I updated Ysolda somewhat:

Slight Digression: I was having trouble with the face and skin textures of male NPCs turning odd colors. It wasn't just random, it was consistent. I suspected my NPC tweak mod (nothing major, just slightly tweaking several female NPCs to be not blandly unappealing), but I hadn't done anything to any male NPCs. After exhausting all of my mod-related suspicions, I took a look at the male head and body texture mods, and found that most of the textures were these ridiculously huge, uncompressed 2048x2048 files that were, on average, 16mb in size. So after I shrunk them down to 1024x1024, I had no further troubles with the textures. My video card just has a hard time with a lot of huge textures. It's either time for an upgrade or time to lower my expectations. Whichever's cheaper.

Shut up.

"I'd like to discuss with you the fact that there was a kinky gray hair in my gazpacho..."

"This novelty exclusive from BackscratcherValhalla.com allows you to reach those troublesome areas with ease! Allow me to demonstrate on this volunteer..."

I found this disturbing:
I'm just glad I'm not using a nude male mod.

Blending in. Mostly.

A couple of pretty pictures. Just for the hell of it.

And a not-so-pretty picture. Again, for the hell of it.

"This isn't a sword, my dear...well, not in the literal sense. Think of it as a Kingmaker, if you will..."

"I admit, it's your outfit that's helping. Why do they call it 'Whiterun'? Because the Dragonborn kept coming and coming and coming...hey, add that to your little song. And act like you're churning butter while you sing it. Yeah, that's it..."

"Hey, I'm wearing gloves. And a sword. That not enough for you, Sister Christian??"

"Why do people keep insisting that I wear clothes?? I'm freakin' GLORIOUS! Ah...it's jealousy. Admit it, you frumpy overstuffed sausage casing: you're JEALOUS!"

I've grown weary of Skyrim's desaturated blahness, so I've been trying out some lighting mods. Now, I'm not interested in the ENB/FXAA Injector/Lite-Brite Confabulator whatever crap that some people seem to love. My philosophy is, if it can't be achieved with a simple plugin, then I'm not interested. So I was pleasantly surprised when the guy who did some amazing work on the FNV color/lighting mod released one for Skyrim. And I also added a couple of other mods...well, just take a gander (or a seagull, a tit, a finch, WHATEVER) at Whiterun:

Daytime:

Early Evening:

Night:

I admit, it looks somewhat like a Kinkade painting. But you know? I'm perfectly okay with that.

Anyway, to get that effect, I used the following mods:

ULTRA REALISTIC WORLD LIGHTING for Skryim BETA

IMAGINATOR - Visual Control Device for Skyrim (my settings: reduced contrast by 10, using preset "Holy Hell" only once.)

Beautiful Whiterun

and

Sexy Whiterun

Actually, I'm using all of the Sexy [town] mods, not just Whiterun; links on the mod page.

And finally...

Indeed. :ss-fonzie

EDIT: I forgot to mention it, but this mod -- Moonpath To Elsweyr -- looks pretty damned astounding.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:06:00 AM by Silver Sorrow »
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »
When you're the Jarl, they line up to "polish your spear". :babydrink: Also, what's Storm Shadow doing in Skyrim? Did COBRA lay him off? Man, this economy.... :cryingloud2:

I should be making these smaller, but they're perfect for backgrounds, so....

(Those shades are kinda creepy. I'm waiting for the Mod community to turn them into something seriously scary.)
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
Just a couple more backgrounds and I'll knock it off. Maybe. I make no promises.

And this is what I get to see every time I walk out of Whiterun.

"He ain't short, he's my brother."

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
In response to the picturesque shots and depictions of short bald people, I'd like to complain bitterly about one of the new features of the 1.5.whatever patch: the killcams for archery and magic. Now, the arrow killcams are usually pretty cool...but the magic seems fall a bit short of cool, more in the Stupid margin, somewhat.

Sure, when it works...it's still kind of stupid, yes. I've never been impressed with the TES magic system; Dragon Age and pretty much any random 3rd person RPG are far more visually entertaining (more AOE carnage and less weak-ass nonsense, I say). So I guess I'm not Bethesda's target audience (aka, the easily-impressed) when it comes to -- for example -- a fireball causing a bandit to flop to the floor, stone dead. Follow that with several seconds of slo-mo nothing as the game confirms that, yes, that bandit is not actually pining for the fjords.

But that's not the best part, oh no! The best part is when the game decides that the dual-firebolt spell you're firing is gonna kill a bandit dead. So it shows, in loving detail, the spell...missing. Yes. MISSING. I've had that happen a few times now, and it keeps getting funnier every time I see it! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

I'm not sure if the killcam is causing my spells to miss, or...actually, I'm fairly sure that's the case. Now, the--

[I go on like this for another couple of paragraphs. I'll cut that short with a couple of screenshots. You're welcome.]

The Mace Of Falkreath, btw, is a tricorn hat with a rubber ducky glued to the crown.

Dr. Qinnad, Frontier Chiropractor.

On a Blockbuster Of Modding note, I finally figured out how to use separate meshes and textures for my custom races...okay, not that the knowledge was mine alone to discover, but I didn't screw it up. This may not seem like such a big deal to anyone with a central nervous system, but for me? It's a grand triumph of epic proportions, second only to the astounding achievement of folding my towels the other day, so here's to living the dream one kick-ass victory at a time.

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 06:44:21 AM »
 To digress, is it just me or does "Skyrim" sound like a type of cheese?

Probably just me.
Tiens, voilĂ  du boudin...

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »
I get the feeling that Skyrim Brand cheese would be some disgusting French specialty thing with grasshoppers and dragonflies (you know, bugs :bigblinky: ) baked in. That's how they do it at Bethesda Farms!

However, at some point once I get bored of normal gameplay, I will probably attempt to build a mansion entirely of cheese wheels. What should I call it? Camemberg? Beau Fort? Cabriero Copacabana? The Liederkranz Marienkirche? Inquiring minds want to vomit! :ss-yuck :throwup:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »
As long as it doesn't come from a mammoth...well...yeah. Every bite of Skyrim Brand Cheese has a little dragonfly face! ("Darling...my cheese is staring at me.")

Chez Fromage? Thus lending credence to the lyric "I eat at Chez Nous...", which is one reason not to use it. To borrow a sentiment from Poe, Jon Anderson should remain in Purgatory until such time as "Big Generator" goes entirely out of print.

Casa Nacho? "It's nacho casa, es mi Casa!" [The commercial: a mariachi band plays a particularly manic version of "La Cucaracha" over images of little critters with festive sombreros dancing on a conveyor belt and jumping into a vat of cheese; an unparalleled Latina beauty in a bikini -- most likely Sofia Vergara oh please god oh yes -- snatches the package away from a heavily mustachioed man wearing a ridiculously colorful serape and a headache-inducingly elaborate sombrero, and delivers the catch phrase, which god above please don't make repeat.]

I think a straightforward marketing campaign based on the cheese not being made in Wisconsin (State Motto: "If We're Not Making Cheese, We're Murdering Someone And Making Furniture Out Of Them") should cause it to sell fairly well: "Skyrim: Your Cheese Has Not Been Handled By Potential Serial Killers."

And now for the Director's Cut of this post, in which I include additional material that would not have made it into the original post without the approval of HOHMEC (HOt Hysterial Mommas Eating Cheese); this way, I can claim "artistic integrity" and do anything I damn well please, just like Bioware:

Behold the Power Of Skyrim: "cheese, cheese, the constipating brute / the more you eat, the less you toot / the less you toot, the lower your water bill / so eat as much of this crap as you can because everything on earth will live longer without you spewing solid waste everywhere."

Of course, there's something so unaabashedly self-righteous about that last promo that many people will dedicate themselves to never having another solid bowel movement ever, just to spite the dolphins and glaciers. "Every time we flush, the sea level drops four inches." would be an interesting...

...now how did I go from cheese with insects to melting ice caps??

Anyway, I can't wait to go to Chuck E. Skyrim tonight. Every bite of pizza restores your health by 2 points, but reduces your life expectancy by three weeks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:52:38 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline bobdog

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »
Wow ... that post was like the best SS I've seen in ages!! Nicely done!!!  :onethumb:

[And holy shitowski -- it also nets me post #2400!! Not to be confused with post #2500, at which point the heavens will open and angels will come down from on high.]

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 12:56:43 AM »
Yes, cheese inspires me to literary heroism.  :lol:

But I don't know...there's something about cheese that brings us all together, binding us...in the darkness...*especially* in the darkness, if you know what I mean...hey, did you notice this writing on the wax? It looks like elvish script, but it's in the black language of Mordor. Oh, that's not good... :ss-ahhhh

Ah, yes...the vaunted 2500th post. I'm hoping that, in my case, the heavens will open and the angels will be hurled to the earth to strike the ground headfirst and quiver, like celestial javelins.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »
So I had some screenshots.

Skyrim Monster Mod: I ran into a Balrog.
Making Warzones Weirder: add SkyMoMod. Let seethe.

Not as vicious as MMM's Balrogs, but I was at level 35 or so when I stumbled across this one, so who knows what it would've done to me at, say, level 10. It uses the Giant's attacks, so hooray for recycling. I uninstalled SkyMoMod not long after; nothing against the Balrogs, but some of the monsters are just stupid. I mean, really: triceratops? Velociraptors? 327 texture variations on skeevers??

Thanks to Warzones, I was able to experience a couple dozen idiots puking green goop all over me (there are more, this is just the main concentration).
Buncha dead assholes.

Nine million Afflicted, having no one to fight (Really! There was no one opposing them! FUN!), decided that I was a prime target. Puking and fighting and bleeding and crying. I was not happy.

So I went and smelted some ore.
Naked smelting. My favorite pastime.

It's not as bad as frying bacon naked, but I think with some effort and a little imagination, I could make it even worse.

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 11:52:43 PM »
Do I win yet?

And in case that doesn't do the job:

(This screenshot brought to you by Ray-Ban. Because ahhhhhh I'm f**king snowblind dammit)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »
Did someone mention Ray-Bans?

I haven't had the time to take screens or anything much lately...various reasons, but it's partly because my video card is a limited, increasingly irrelevant thing. See, your screens look great. I, on the other hand, am dealing with what appears to be random blobs mating unsuccessfully with other random blobs. The only things I insist on being hi-res are my character's textures and whatever armor/clothing/weapon texture I've mutilated and *think* may be passable.

Anyway, I've been concerned with other things, but here's what's been bugging me about Skyrim lately:

1. Stupid Armor Without Pants.

It's Skyrim. It's very cold. I want PANTS.

2. Skyrim Monster Mod

I uninstalled SkyMoMod a while back. It's bad enough that most of the monsters are stupid, but ripping off HL? Moronic.

And so on. In honor of paying $20 for Dawnguard, I cleared out my (admittedly) cluttered mod list, narrowing it down to the essentials; I started and restarted the same character three times, due to various problems with various mods. So after a week of going nowhere, I finally put together a character I could live with --

-- AND I threw together some custom armor and sword for her.

It looks much better from a distance. MUCH better. Those little pseudo-oriental characters are indeed that low-res and blurry. They SUCK. But, being 12x12, they couldn't help do anything but suck. I suppose that I'll have get the 2048x2048 robe tex (the official HD robes, that is; they're okay, but muddy) and then I'll have, what, slightly less sucky 24x24 ideograms.

On the bright side, the armor itself (under the robes) is this super-shiny love affair between deep blue and gold. I'm still not happy with the sword, though. Armor good, robe pieces and sword less so.

And on that depressing note... ::)

EDIT

As long as I'm warping the nature of this thread with my own personal delusions of competence, I might as well add one more:

I'm having better luck with black and silver. Colors confound me. Also, Skyrim's shadows blow the burrito.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:18:49 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »
Say hello to Tianji. She's a sociopath.

You look me in the eye and say that, idiot. ...no, the OTHER eye.

Her hobbies include stabbing people to death,

Upsie-daisy!

Slashing people to death,

You knock off that glowing crap! This isn't Fallout 3!

Stabbling dead people to... um, whatever,

Why are ghosts so damn heavy?!

Riding horses,

C'mon, horse, there's people out there I haven't stabbed yet.

And stabbing people while riding horses.

If you only settle for doing one hobby at a time, you're just holding yourself back.

She does care for animals though!

You're cute. I'll let you live.

..well, most animals.

Get off my face and be a rug already!

Um. SOME animals?

If it talks, it's not an animal. It's a victim.

She is willing to work with the few people who don't deserve a greatsword through the sternum. At least, until she decides that they do.

What the Oblivion are we looking at? I can't see a damn thing out of this helmet.

Soon, Tianji will carve a path through history. Or stab one.

Look how f**king impressed I am with your clever turn of phrase.

Any questions before we leave you, Tianji?

Yeah. When's summer in this Godsforsaken place? ...this IS summer? F**K.