Author Topic: A Tentative Stab At A Skyrim Mod  (Read 57912 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: A Tentative Stab At A Skyrim Mod
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2016, 08:43:23 AM »
At least now you have a new deadline for the release of your mod... Halloween (or so). Thank Bethesda for that  :lol:  What about a pumpkin helmet? With a sugar sword?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »

Pumpkinborn?

Linus: "Look! Rising from the pumpkin patch! It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"

Charlie "Pumpkinborn" Brown: "That's no Great Pumpkin...that's ALDUIN!"

Alduin: "Such arrogance, to dare take for yourself the name of 'pumpkin'..."

[roaring, shouting, fire]

The Shout...hmmm...maybe "Pum Kin PIE!"

"Master Pigpen will now teach you the third word of 'Unrelenting Dessert,' which is 'Pie.'"

"Pie!"

"You must feel the Word within yourself bef--stop that. Stop it, I said! Using Kynareth's divine gift to gorge yourself on pastries is an insult to the gods!"

Oh, I could spend all day putting together Skyrim/Peanuts references...but for everyone's sanity, I won't.  :lol:

Well...okay, here's just one: I spent hours hacking and slashing my way through a Nord crypt, fighting countless Deathlords and Dragon Priests, and what did I find in the boss chest at the end of the whole mess? A rock.

Anyway, I'm still not sure what kind of impact the new version will have on existing mods. I expect that there will be a few broken games out there. ::)

"d00d ur mod dosent work11!!"
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2016, 01:26:23 PM »
I think I just wasted a week.

:ss-meh
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2016, 08:36:14 AM »
That armor was something of a disappointment, but it's little setbacks like these that make human endeavor so much more...painful. If I have any sort of philosophical wisdom gained from my recent work, it might be something along the lines of "life sucks, then you start messing with alpha channels."

For the longest time, I've been unhappy with the pants of my black leather set. Not due to the general shape, which I found fine (albeit a little too baggy), no. It was the damned kneepads they clamped onto them that made experimenting with different boot styles so irritating. I tried this lower body, I tried that lower body...to summarize five years overall with particular emphasis on the last three days, it's been a real pain in the ass. But I finally got something I think I can live with.

In short: I frankensteined some new pants on the armor.

The worst part is that, since I've switched over to Win7, I have had a devil of a time creating my own normal maps. My version of Photoshop is v6, and 32-bit, and it won't work right with 7. So for the past several years, when it came to making normal maps, I'd work around the issue somehow. But the texture for the pants needed a *new* normal map. I couldn't just fake it this time, because everything I'd tried failed miserably.

[Side note: I've tried a few alternatives, but it all came down to either 1) learning the quite intimidating GIMP, 2) setting up a virtual machine for PS, or 3) essentialy *renting* a license for the latest PS. Damn you Bethesda for using .dds! And damn Adobe for being a bunch of money-grubbing bastards!]

As I was sitting there, staring into space, my gaze fell upon my old computer. I grew thoughtful. "I never cleaned off my old computer," I mused. "It might...still...have..." I began to (mentally) pound my head with my fists. "...PHOTOSHOP...STILL...INSTAL LED!" I screamed, quite loudly, in my head.

Idiot.

I found a thumb drive for the texture (because I don't have the old girl connected to my network), popped it in my old computer, ran that through PS (which took a minute or two, since the texture is 2048x2048 and I don't have a whole lot of RAM on the old jalopy), got it situated, and took a look at the results. Happy day.

First, a closeup of the front:

(Yes, those are the Triss boots.)

Then the rear:

And the overall effect:

I also applied the same pants to the Dawnguard-style armor I was using...but more on that later. It's a lot to go through.

As a distraction:

She looks a little pissed off.

So I gave her a makeover.

ECE has a vertex sculpt option which I had never tried before, but desperation drove me to it. Seems that my characters were looking like Marlon Brando, and mucking about with that crap actually helped me to smooth out her face a bit. She's still a work in progress, however...I think her nose needs some work...

Now the words are running together. Must be time to stop typing.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
The last couple of weeks I've been busier than a quadruple amputee at an ass-kickin' contest...

...or however that goes. Anyway, long story short: relative needed another tumor removed, tumor was removed, no problems, relative is fine. Back to my uneventful rut, thank you very much.

So in an attempt to wind down from my full-body muscle clench, I decided to throw together some armor I had my eye on, and thus drive myself completely over the edge. "Just think," I said to a hapless bystander as I ripped out handuls of what's left of my hair, "just imagine, if you would, how nuts I would be WITHOUT my little hobby!" Then I started laughing maniacally. I didn't stop for a long time.

Anyway, it's pretty much a mashup -- how I hate that word -- of Bodyslided (CBBE) mage journeyman robes and some armor from Assassin's Creed. Shao Jun, or something like that. I'm bad at remembering foreign words. Problems include clipping and gaps, as usual. But the overall pitch-blackness of the overall textures makes the clipping less-noticeable. Gap problems were solved by shutting my eyes and bubuhluhbuhbuhluh-ing my lower lip whenever one would appear.

So.

Long view. Is there any surface into which people's feet do NOT sink in this game? :redhot:

Closer.

Even closer.

A slightly different angle.

Closeup of the detail on the buttons/rivets. I was going for a gold/milky jade effect. I may have missed it by that much.

A larger pic showing the breath-taking attention I gave to the detail on the buttons. Yeah, that's right: those are little jade jewels in the gold buttons. Does my genius know no bounds??

Also, the way the original mesh was set up, there is a missing button. Because there was a strap over where it should have been. I alpha-d out the strap and voila! A missing button.

And then there is the issue of how...dark...the armor is. I was aiming at something slightly lighter with more details, but the people who textured the pants made them darker where that part of the texture would be covered by a portion of the mesh (in this case, a skirt). So without the skirt to cover those dark parts, it looks as if my character had just pissed their pants.

:ss-cacodying

So I had three options:

1) find another texture.
Exhausting. Next!

2) attempt to replace that part with something else, such as leather.
Again: exhausting. Next!

3) darken the fuck out of the thing until you can't see the problem.
Mission accomplished.

So you see kids, success is sometimes rewarded through a combination of chronic laziness, a lackadaisical work ethic and pure dumb luck.

Oh, and here's  closeup of the detail on the nodachi.

My inspiration was boredom on a Saturday morning a few months ago. I am proud of it, but not as proud as I would have been, had I actually created something beautiful myself. Yet another goddamn recolor by me.

My analogy for what I do can be summed up thusly: I am a devolved monkey crawling over the ruins of the once-great works of those who have gone before us.

ANYWAY, I threw some new colors and stuff into my race mod. I got to playing with the options...

So, this all came about after I had struggled mightily with this delicate little flower of an engine...I sometimes wonder if the SE version is more stable, but then I chuckle to myself and dismiss such nonsense. Old, creaky, eccentric engine. One wrong value in a mesh can send it crashing to the desktop. Change that one simple value, and all is well.

I find that I'm grinding my teeth more than usual. I wonder why that is.

I did find the cause of why my characters' heads were lighting up like jack o' lanterns in certain lighting conditions, though: it wasn't mismatched head/body normals (although they do contribute to texture "seams"). It was a single value in the head mesh replaced by Enhanced Character Edit (or was it Enhanced Character Edit Enhancer that replaced the mesh?). Under NiTriShapeData, I found that one of the Consistency Flags should have been set to CT_STATIC. But it was set to CT_MUTABLE, which caused severe neck seams and the neck to glow orange and the...the...god, it was hell. I felt like I had trudged through Wal-Mart on a Saturday afternoon.

But it's fixed now and the blood has stopped gushing from my pores. I'm pretty sure the headaches and the crushing sinus pain will eventually peter out. Assuming I find out how to stop the goddamn wasps from wandering into the house...

Offline bobdog

« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2016, 10:59:22 AM »
I like the black outfit -- really cool looking!

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2016, 12:12:26 AM »
Thankya, thankya...I might restore the leather straps though, because that missing button bugs me.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »
What?!! A MISSING button... Dude! What were you thinking? That's a catastrophe! Ohlala!

Yves Saint Laurent (loosely -- very -- quoted).

:funup:

Yeah, joke aside, that bothers me too. Now I will not be able to sleep at night.

The jade... In full light that looks mainly gold... in shadows however the effect is nice... Well then, definitely an outfit for late nights (when you cannot see the button... or lack of)  :lol:

Is there any surface into which people's feet do NOT sink in this game? :redhot:

Funny because I'm currently playing a game where in some places characters' shadows start a good 2 inches below the sole of their feet... which is troubling too.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2016, 01:25:08 AM »
Some poor intern being beaten within an inch of his life for his mistake...imagine: a missing button. Death's too good for him. "You will die only when Mr. Laurent wills it!"

EDIT: Thinking about it, shouldn't that be "Mr. Saint Laurent"? I just don't know anymore. :ss-weird1

What I find most galling -- there's a Gaul metaphor in there somewhere -- is that despite all the work I put into it, I have to shelve the thing. There's just too many things wrong with the mesh itself to warrant further tinkering.

I mean, whoever ported the original armor didn't exactly do a fantastic job; opening it in Bodyslide's outfit studio reveals it to be a travesty of design, for one thing. For another, in third person it causes nearby light sources to flicker or go out...that is, standing in an interior space in front of an ambient light source will cause the light to go out. I'm surprised it doesn't crash the game, all things considered.

Plus, weight sliders don't work.

The worst thing about it is that I cannot shake the desire to shout "¡olé!" whenever I see it. Actually, I think perhaps a Chinese translation of "olé" would be more appropriate, but I don't know if there is one. I think the sentiment might involve enforced hard labor followed by execution.

So I've scrapped that part of the armor and replaced it with something...well, a little more mundane. Or a lot more mundane, really.

While plain-ish, I can decorate the living snot out of it. Or, more likely, I'll muck about with this or that design with medicore results, get discouraged, and eventually wander off to do something else.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:46:42 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »
Front.

Back.

[A bit of borrowing from the Opulent Mage mod.]

Not what I had envisioned at all, oh no. :ss-meh

Offline bobdog

« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2016, 11:55:51 AM »
Love it!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2016, 01:52:37 PM »
Thinking about it, shouldn't that be "Mr. Saint Laurent"? I just don't know anymore. :ss-weird1

Definitely, Saint Laurent's the last name (technically Saint-Laurent but he dropped the hyphen for some reason). His full name, I don't even remember nor do I want to. An overly complicated apparently noble thing despite the fact that Saint Laurent is not of noble extraction. People called Saint-something are relatively rare in France because they were almost all noble families with a fair amount dropping everything that had to do with nobility when heads started to roll back in 1792. A lot still kept their name or restored it once the turmoil went away. de or d' is the most common form of nobility mark still encountered today which corresponds to the German "Von". For example Charles de Gaulle. "Saint" marks nobility only if preceded by "de". Yeah, despite the relatively bloody revolution there are still around 100 thousands noble families -- with verified status, meaning which can officially bear a title -- in France. We even have 2 would-be kings and 1 would-be emperor (that is if we decided suddenly to abandon democracy). namely Louis XX, Henri VII (if we went for monarchy and they would have to fight for it because only one throne; that could be amusing) or Napoleon VII (if we suddenly went berserk and restored the Empire). See we like to keep all the options on the table  :purplelaugh:

Curious to think that the only country in Europe where a reigning King was officially executed after being accused and tried is so attached to its nobility. Well, kinda... In fact we don't give a damn outside of the historical point of view, even nobles happily go into politics nowadays, whatever the party... but we like to talk about it  :lol:

Educative rambling off.

Anyway, love this last outfit... Maybe a crown instead of a dragon so we could call her Princess of France. Nah, dragon is fine; Just kidding (even though we technically do have several princesses; stashed in a drawer, somewhere, ready to serve if needed -- want one?).

Why am I even thinking about this stuff?

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »
Educative rambling off.

Hey! I learned something! It's official: you're my new Wikipedia. So you really have to start making these things as inaccurate as possible without tripping anyone's BS detector. For example:

IMPLAUSIBLE: all the heads collected during the Revolution were dipped in chocolate and given away as gag gifts to foreign ambassadors.

PLAUSIBLE: Carla Bruni smells like fresh apple slices in a dirty ashtray. Also, she has a penis.

Think of the (evil) possibilities...you could have me babbling "facts" to my fellow Americans in no time!

"Hey, Steve! Did you know that the French invented Mars? It's true!"

Why am I even thinking about this stuff?

I have similar problems, although a bit more...uh...well, "psychotic" is a good descriptor to start with. For example (again??), just yesterday I was picturing someone from another plane of reality explaining the solar system to a Hobbit. I didn't want to get all wordy, but I had to start there in order to fully explain the concept of gravity. Then I gave up, because I'm no physicist and don't fully understand gravity myself. (The basics: things are heavy, you drop them on your foot, you curse gravity as a cruel heartless bitch.) So I just went with the ethereal visitor whirling her hand tiredly above her head and mumbling "whirly things" as an explanation.

You got me thinking there, though: instead of nobility, the Khovians Xi'an have an elected Warlord. But if I am to flesh the concept out completely, I gotta attend to the details. The throne is a huge carved sapphire...check. Wood elves are hunted for sport...check. But what about headwear? Would it be a crown with various Asian-y type things stuck to it, or would they eschew a crown entirely because anyone who gets an overinflated sense of self is sent off to fight bugs in obscure realms?

"Bugs?" someone might object. "Those are sentient, feeling creatures who love and live and laugh and--"

"Fine," the average Xi'an would interrupt with a snarl. "Bugs with feelings."

Anyway, I think I'll hold onto this armor. I like the outline and concept, so I'll keep looking for pants that, when brightened, don't look like she personally wet herself at the Battle of Badon Hill. ::)

I've been thinking of sorting through it all and getting the mod ready to release here, as I think I've gone as far as I can with it. This was my procedure with OB, anyway. We should be playing the next TES game according to the previously-established pattern, but nooooooooooooooooo.

Bitterness aside, I've done very little of late with Skyrim. I've been playing a lot of match-threes and mahjong of late, mostly for reasons of weary boredom. But I have managed to do a couple of things:

1. The Dawnguard armor, of which I now have three versions: black (with silver accents), red (black, gold, red), and...green! (black, green, and gold)

I'm not sure if I really like it.

2. I managed to fix the damned shadows in my game without having to use an ENB. The key is this line in your SkyrimPrefs.ini (under my documents__my games__skyrim): fShadowBiasScale=0.15

Change that to "fShadowBiasScale=2.0000" and your shadows will look nicer on your character, hopefully.

3. I've been rethinking how I go about creating faces, and I tried something a little more natural. For one thing, her eyebrows are soft arcs instead of jutting inwards. I'm trying to put together a face that looks more...well...normal. Not a beauty queen or an assassin who looks like she wants to rip your face off and wipe her ass with it (for an example, see the previous image).

She needs some work, but I think I'm getting there.

Princess of France. :lol:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2018, 03:24:12 PM »
I haven't updated this thing for a while. Obviously. So...

...I had a few days of non-connectivity and I got to looking (glaring, really) at the purple glass armor I had just laying around --

-- yeah, that one. At some point in the last year or so (in a fit of boredom, I can only assume), I had added some gold highlights to the gilding on the glass texture. It looked interesting, so I decided to do the rest of the armor in that style. Just for fun, because I honestly don't have any real use for it in-game. I mean, really. But here it is:

Male:

Female:

Next up, the weapons. And trying not ot feel as if I'm just wasting time.

So that's my contribution to society for today. :ss-disbelief

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »
I thought I might try something a little different. Hey, it was 3am and I didn't feel like doing anything important.  :ss-meh

So now I have a light version and a heavy version. Messed with the pauldrons, spikes, hips, etc. First, the light armor:

Long shot:

Closeup:

Dramatic:

Heavy version...long shot:

Closeup:

Dramatic, with the wind waiting for her to remove the helmet so it can whip through her hair:

(Male version pics to follow shortly...well, once I replace the pauldrons on the light set. Pauldrons that don't suck, I mean.)

Differences: obviously, the lack of big spikes on the light set, as well as the removal of the hip plates (ain't alpha magic wunnerful?) to make it a bit more slimming, and different pauldrons.

After I finish messing with the weapons, I'll probably mirror these changes with the red glass set. I have a checklist and everything. You can't stop me. I'm out of control.

everything