Author Topic: Portal 2 Perpetual Initiative DLC  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Portal 2 Perpetual Initiative DLC
« on: May 10, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »
It slipped in quietly under the radar, but Portal 2's latest DLC just came out: the "Perpetual Testing Initiative".

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but the basic idea is that it adds an in-engine map builder to the game. So instead of going through the hassle of learning how to use Hammer and the Source SDK, you just start up Portal 2 and design levels from the inside. Once you're finished, you hit a couple of buttons and the map will be uploaded into the Steam Workshop for others to play.

It's a great idea, although I have yet to be convinced that this method of level design will be just as robust and creative as the advanced coding options available through Hammer. Then again, Little Big Planet did the exact same thing and some users managed to come up with levels that surpassed the expectations of the original designers.

I'm hoping to get a chance to test it later tonight, although I doubt you'll see any levels I feel especially proud of appearing on Steam Workshop anytime soon.   :)

Trailer

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Re: Portal 2 Perpetual Initiative DLC
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:38:27 PM »
I've played around with it a little bit so far, and I'm actually quite impressed. It's a neat little tool that can't handle much of Portal's advanced scripting or skyboxes, but anyone with an idea for a puzzle should be able to put it together pretty quickly. Valve is also recommending creators and puzzles through the Workshop, so this should breath quite a bit of life into the year-old game.

Other bonuses: more Cave Johnson quotes to use as you enter and exit the maps! And a new avatar model!

everything