Author Topic: Hearthfire?!?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Hearthfire?!?
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:17:25 AM »
Hearthfire – Coming to Xbox LIVE on September 4th

With Skyrim’s newest game add-on, Hearthfire, you can purchase land and build your own home from the ground up – from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, stable, garden, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to transform quarried stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children.

Hearthfire releases on Xbox LIVE next week (September 4th) for 400 Microsoft Points.

So...it's a house mod.

Okay, time for a bit of personal bias: in-game houses, to me, are immersive public storage. They may blend in well with the surrounding structures, but they are still just places where I pop in and unload all the crap I've been collecting. I don't care to add an acre-sized sauna, 900 mannequins, and a detailed rumpus room for my followers (of which I ideally have none); I'd rather be out killing things. The only house mod I have installed is one that expands Breezehome with extra storage and a cellar containing a full smithy and crafting stations.

Thinking about it, I miss my Morrowind houses. Hell, I miss Morrowind.

All right...before I get (more) depressed, moving on.

Apparently Bethesda shot their wad with Dawnguard, and now we'll just see a thin trickle of useless official mods. I hope Dawnguard wasn't the equivalent of Shivering Isles, because I'd be--enh, maybe not. I don't like Skyrim as much as I liked the previous two games, so I don't have as much angst invested in this one.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
Re: Hearthfire?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »
Yep. It's a house Mod. Another place to dump your junk and park your companion (because, seriously, who brings them along except masochists?), just like a few dozen or so Mods already available for free. I'm still waiting for a "placable furniture" Mod for Skyrim, myself- I can do a better job of setting things up than those "professional game designers".

Hey Beth, before you go bragging about your sweet new houses, how about you fix the game so that Lydia doesn't spend all day sitting in my room in Breezehome and staring at me when I'm trying to sleep? 'Cause I think she's looking to be more than just my shield. :realconfused:

EDIT: Admittedly, I did maybe go a little overboard with the placable objects in Oblivion....
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »
I suspect that Lydia farts on all my pillows when I'm not there. I'm not 100% sure, but it's just a feeling I get...

There's a mod that keeps Lydia from sitting in the bedroom, but I'm there so seldom that I cannot justify the extra plugin. The unofficial patch may fix that, but Cthulhu knows if the USKP causes more problems than it solves. :-\  And I hate to waste the effort, just to fix the AI of Yet Another Companion, which I have no use for.

(Seriously, they die so easily and are useless in combat; even if they're flagged as essential, they're still useless. That's what bugged me about Dawnguard: dragging around this chatty vampire chick who was more of a hindrance than help. I hate companions...)

But even if it is just a house mod, I do understand and applaud the attraction of designing a virtual house *my* way; the realities of real-world decorating are far too overwhelming for someone of my disposition. For example, I bought a shower curtain today and I'm exhausted. I don't want to buy anything else ever again. I'm still coming up with ways of putting it use as a multitasker. Nno need for sheets -- or even a bed! -- anymore, just roll up in the shower curtain near a vent or something at the bus station. If I should suffocate...ta-da! Instant body bag! And it saves on funeral costs, as the county can just wrap me back up -- winding sheet! -- and roll me into a shallow grave in potter's field. No need for a headstone either, I won't give a rat's ass...

...okay, dark. Never mind. Thing is, I'm also playing this HOG (hidden object game) called Gardenscapes: Mansion Makeover, which could be a good design doc for the Skyrim team. Looking for elegant marble tiling, as opposed to rotting mud-spattered wood paneling? Prefer fine linens and silk hangings, rather than goat-oriented furnishings? Try Tasteful Skyrim Solutions or whatever...I'm just rambling. I'll stop now.

Thinking about it, there's already a mod that lets you build your own home: Build Your Own Home. Granted, it probably isn't as stylish and fully-featured as whatever Bethesda pulls out of their ass, but it is free.

While I miss my MW houses, I also miss my OB houses, which I built myself. I like my Solitude house -- which I did not build -- but it all just seems to me, no matter how refined the house, that it's just another muddy shack among other muddy shacks, all huddled together on the tundra.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:09:09 AM »
Yep. It's a house Mod. Another place to dump your junk and park your companion (because, seriously, who brings them along except masochists?)

........ *slowly raises hand*

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:21:31 AM »
Aha! I knew it. You're one of them...a role-player. Well, your perverse ideas of immersion and the buddy system won't convince ME to simply toss aside my disturbed loner creed, as I remain -- nay, persevere -- as a decidedly antisocial champion of...oooh, she's pretty! And I just have to install seventeen separate beautification mods? Well, sign me u--

NO! I REFUSE! VIVA EL ASCETIC SELF-RELIANCE!

...but she's so pretty...!

:doublekiss: :ss-sad1

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 04:55:45 AM »
NO! I REFUSE! VIVA EL ASCETIC SELF-RELIANCE!

Did you really write that?  :biglaugh:

I don't like companions either but that's more because they're all formatted the same way (and that they suck at sneaking). Except one or two special ones (Mjoll for example) none of them has a real background to offer and their usefulness is rather limited to: "Hey, I'll take a few arrows in the head while you sneak up on them". Sure if you don't have a high lockpick skill you can always embark a thief companion and have him/her open locks but that's about it.

I think Bethesda still has a lot to learn about making companions items of real interest instead of "barely clever" bots -- on this point at least they should take some cue from Bioware although I wouldn't recommend them to take cues from Bioware regarding endings (more precisely they should stay away from DA2 and ME3). At least Fallout NV companions did have some personal background one could discuss (even if it was quickly wrapped up).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 04:35:50 PM »
The companions aren't much good at ANYTHING aside from serving as meatshields. Take one into Shroud Hearth Barrow. There's a huge spike-door trap with a blatantly obvious button right in the middle of the floor (you know, for the "thick" types who need to be introduced to "Basic Traps 101". Your companion will blithely walk on that thing over and over again and repeatedly get a wooden-stake tracheotomy until you get far enough ahead for him/her/it to teleport next to you.

I stopped taking companions into dungeons when Lydia set off a poison-dart trap I sidestepped and got me pumped up with enough poison to kill seven Nords. (Thankfully, since I was playing an Argonian, I walked it off.) Lately I think even Minecraft's AI shows more cleverness than Skyrim's. :hammerhead:
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

everything