Author Topic: It's about damn time!  (Read 6188 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: It's about damn time!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 06:03:01 PM »
Steam has "greenlit" Black Mesa but apparently it may be another 5-7 days to appear there. And the file is humongous - 3 GB. I tried some of the mirrors and the avg download was 11 HOURS. So I went w/a torrent instead (one instance where torrents are good and not evil, I suppose....) and it took about 5 hrs. I'd recommend that, or wait for the Steam version, which would stream and not leave you in the cold if your DL gets blipped during that 11 hour span.

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
 Well, the download I was so happy about got borked right near the end and I wound up with an incomplete file.  :computerfix:

So I guess I'll wait for Steam. Hell, I've already waited years for this bloody thing, what's a few more days, really?
Tiens, voilà du boudin...

Offline Joshua-kun

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »
Wow. MY weekend just got made!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh, hi everyone, again!  :lol:
Jya-shu-a-kuun

Offline Dough with Fish

• Sap you in teh face! Oh noes!
  • Forums Keeper
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »
A wild, uh, me appears! And yes, its totally worth the wait! I just got to the Blast Pit part so only a few hours in. But what I've played so far is awesome. A little tidbit for everyone here, before shit goes to hell make sure to harass everyone you come across, everyone has a unique set of dialogue before they get to their defaults.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 01:09:18 AM »
Shacknews didn't pose a problem  for me. Although it took about 3 hours, it was reliable.

Played the beginning of it and it's interesting because even though they kept 80% of the original HL map layouts, there definitely are some "amusing" surprises so on one hand you may use your memories of the original HL but on the other, those memories may be deceiving in some cases (in particular, weapon placement is all off -- I spend a few minutes searching for the crowbar before realizing that they decided to completely go another route regarding weapons availability and placement).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 06:07:49 PM »
The game's afoot.

I'm enjoying this quite a lot so far. I haven't gotten all that far yet, I only just got the crowbar but, lacking that, I was having a good time torching zombies with those flares that are lying around everywhere. Screaming burning zombies! Good times, good times... :turnhappy:

I took the tram ride twice to check out the new details and changes, then spent more time poking around the labs eavesdropping on and talking to the scientists. I did the usual thing with the microwave, but this time, lo and behold, it unlocked an achievement. That's something new. I also got one for giving that poor guy sitting on the can a roll  of toilet paper. Well, actually, I didn't notice the toilet paper right away and threw him a roll of paper towels instead, but it got the job done, apparently.

I got stuck in one room early on because of my memories of the original HL. I crawled through a vent to get into a fiery room, and me being me got myself disoriented right off the bat. I remembered that originally the way out was a vent near the ceiling and, looking around, I saw one. So I piled up a bunch of computers and stuff on a chair, and after multiple crouch jumping attempts managed to get myself up into the vent. I was pleased with myself, and quicksaved. Then to my horror, I discovered that the vent was the one I had used to enter the room in the first place. Got killed by the same zombies I had so cleverly escaped before. Reload.
  Turns out there was a big hole in the wall, and all I had to do was jump through it. Oh well. :hammerhead:

And so onward went I once more unto the breach, crying God for Harry, England, and Saint George*....or something :lol:

*A completely unjustified Shakespearean reference. My apologies.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 12:19:46 PM »
Miserable Bastard checking in.

1. The crowbar doesn't swing as well as in HL1. It's like Gordon has to think about it first. (>mouseclick< "Hmmm...I believe that by clicking on the 'fire' button, the player wishes me to swing the crowbar. Perhaps I should do that after the headcrabs jump on me.")

2. There is no hesitation on the part of your enemies, however; they will shoot you immediately from far away and with uncanny accuracy. One might be tempted to call this "irritating."

3. The Grunts made me jump several times, what with the vicious assault rifle surprises and whatnot.

4. I've never had so many problems with ladders...

5. Possible set pieces don't exactly play out as they should; for example, upon entering a room where aliens should be fighting humans, they all attack me instead. I wonder if it has to do with the bright orange suit I'm wearing. In another example, I blew up a chopper (yes, in the Hangar 16 area...) and the pieces were all over the place, blocking me from shooting a tank with a missile launcher (the TOW?). There were plenty of missiles, but it wasn't as fun as it should have been.

6. I wasn't too happy with the place with all the claymore mines, either. I ended up noclipping through that shit.

7. Long load times. Extremely long load times. The kind of load times where you can wander into the kitchen and make yourself a sandwich first. Then you might have some time to program your DVR for the upcoming week. Balance your checkbook. Spay or neuter your cat. Fashion a noose and hang yourself in the garage. Those sort of load times.

8. I'm currently stuck in the segment where you're supposed to kill the Gargantua with an airstrike, but nothing is working right. The goddamn Garg keeps shaking the living crap out of the structure I'm on and the airstrike computer interface is stupid, so I'm trying to figure out how to make the thing work AND trying not to fall off. I'm so tired at this point, however, that I can't bring myself to give a damn anymore.

Other than all that, it's...well, pretty good. It's nothing personal against the modders; I just find that the worse my life gets, the harder it is to impress me. :P
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »
Yeah, the little "bombing board" would be fairly spiffy if it worked right, but for whatever reason, the crosshairs don't update well. Just click at the side of the tower the Garg likes to hang around, then the "fire" button at the bottom center. It SHOULD land on-target even if the display doesn't update.

Oddly enough I've had little issue with load times. Then again, my gaming drive is a nice piece of hardware. :biglaugh:
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
It was like trying to play Tetris duing an earthquake, but I finally got the stupid thing to work. :ss-shootme

I found it interesting that while the airstrike did no damage whatsoever to the gate or the walls around the exit door, one skinny metal comm tower could crush those walls like...like...searching for a good simile...failing...

I suspect that the load times are a problem on my end, as I really need to upgrade a few things. Everything in my case, for example. Including the case itself. And I'd like a new monitor, too. While I'm wishing, I'd like a Wacom tablet, Sofia Vergara, and 400 million dollars, tax-free. I'd like to be taller, as well. And immune to smacking my elbows on things. Ideally, I'd like to be a 8-foot tall android with a goddamn flamethrower, but I'm concerned that Sofia might be turned off by *too* much power. Then again, I'm 8 feet tall and indestructable, so who gives a crap what she thinks? All she has to do is --

[deplorably insensitive and sexist suggestions removed]

-- and she won't be incinerated like all the others who fail to make me happy.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 12:31:04 AM »
I have a Wacom tablet, but I don't have Sofia Vergara or anything even close. Or of the same species. Or anything. And I have a shitty computer, which a few years ago would have been a great computer. I have a crappy sofa too. But my cats still love me, because I have thumbs. Yay. :realconfused:

I'm not having any problems with ladders. Some people do, some don't. I have no idea why. I'm having problems with headcrabs (in the game), they're too hard to kill for some reason. But the Vorts seem easier to kill this time around. Go figure. The grunts are impossible. I want Adrian Shepard to die a slow painful death.

On the good side, I'm happy that I don't have to worry about Xen. I noclipped and cheated my way through that bugger in the original game, I can't see it getting any better here. Overall though, I like it so far. I'm going along pretty slowly, I keep giving myself do-overs when I figure I can do something better with some hindsight. I get killed a lot.

Now I'm at a point in a very cold room where I've just figured out that, after having solved the moving meat puzzle, I need some boxes to pile up so I can advance further. Except that I smashed them all, quite a few saves back. Oh well... ::)

I think I need a Vvardenfell break. Then I can deal with it. :hammerhead:

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »
It pissed me off, but once I finished it I felt very satisfied with the experience. That's what she said.
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!