Author Topic: Skywind to Bring Morrowind to Skyrim  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
Skywind to Bring Morrowind to Skyrim
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
So I wrote a little bit about an upcoming Skyrim mod today that goes by the name of Skywind. According to the sources I found, it is a conversion of the Oblivion mod Morroblivion (which is a very silly name) that let people who owned a copy of both Morrowind and Oblivion port the older game into the new engine. Members from that team are now attempting to do the same by bringing both games, quests and all, to Skyrim.

I finished the main quest a couple months ago and am resting on my laurels a bit before settling the civil war, so I'm not anywhere near the point where I'd ready to start digging through the older content just yet. The idea of bringing the games to a current engine is an interesting one, especially since it appears to support Skyrim's newer features (fast travel, crafting) alongside Morrowind's gameplay classic armor system). But I'm curious what anyone who's followed the series longer than I have thinks about it, especially if they happened to try Morroblivion in the first place (it's available here).

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Skywind to Bring Morrowind to Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:59:15 AM »
I tried Morroblivion soon after its release, when it was in a seriously rough state (dungeons with water were flooded, armor/bodyparts were ridiculously screwed up, etc.), and soon lost track of it for various mundane reasons.

The premise was fairly simple: the program converted Morrowind material into something (allegedly) playable in Oblivion. Not an easy task, considering how different the two games are, both in engine and gameplay, as well as dialog issues...

The biggest problem they faced, as I understand it, is that Bethesda (by which I mean their lawyers) considered it about as illegal and as morally wrong as, say, wiping out six million Jews to save der Vaterland. They were so offended by the sheer nerve of the modders' actions that I half-expected Homeland Insecurity to get involved somehow. I hear that Jerry Jeff Walker even wrote a song about it, called "Up Against The Wall, Intellectual Property-Violating Mothers." You get the idea.

[While it probably wasn't all that illegal -- what you do on your own computer is your business, as long as you don't redistribute anything or make money off of it somehow -- it does remind the masses that we really don't own these games anymore, we're just renting them.]

In reaction to all of the scary lawyers, the Nexus (TESNexus at the time) shat its pants, scrubbed all of the Morroblivion content from its servers, and as is usual for them, probably banned a lot of people. (Although, I believe you can upload something Morroblivion related, as long as it doesn't violate copyright or the Virgin Mary's hastily re-stitched hymen or whatever horrific things people do to Bethesda's Most Holy And Inviolate IP.)  I lost track of it, so I have no idea what state of finishedness (or whatever) it's in currently.

So now we have Skywind, which makes me wonder if Spinal Tap is coming up with these titles. But I don't know why anyone would bother converting Oblivion to Skyrim; they're not that different, really. In fact, I like OB's combat a lot more than Skyrim's. It felt more...solid. Blocking was a lot better, too. Magic sucked, but magic ALWAYS sucks in TES games. Just because you can make a spell stronger with both hands doesn't make it worth the effort of roleplaying a squishy.

Uh...ANYWAY, I guess my view is that, for me, converting these earlier games to the newer engine is a waste of time, as each one has a community dedicated to making it as beautiful as possible. With that said, I get the whole "convenience" thing (i.e., "I'd like to play Morrowind and/or without spending an entire week -- no joke -- downloading and installing and configuring a kajillion mods.") Getting it all working is half the fun, but I do understand (and sympathize with) the person who just wants to play Morrowind or Oblivion on a new engine without the mind-numbing tedium of just getting the thing running.

So I wish them well. I hope they find the next five to ten years of hard work rewarding. :lol:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Fanghawk

• Marshall's Machinima
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »
According to the Morroblivion (if I understand this right) a lot of the legal drama didn't have to do with the game itself (since you needed to own a copy of Morrowind anyway to make the thing work) but over how the textures were licensed. Following that, the mod team apparently replaced the offending textuers and meshes and soldiered on with the mod.

As for its current state:

Quote from: Morroblivion FAQ
What's changed? Last time I checked in on the project, it was a mess and nothing worked.
Today, Morroblivion is a fully playable, working game world.  Quests, NPCs, creatures, items, and graphical features all have been painstakingly converted, upgraded and/or created by hand to bring a true-to-the-original experience that takes advantage of many of Oblivion's advanced features. Read here for information on the history of the 4+ years of work on the Morroblivion project.

Current Status (version 053)

Completed: 100% of the main Morrowind game has been completed, and is fairly well debugged (details here).  There is very little that gets in the way of a complete Morrowind experience.
        In Progress: Bloodmoon and Tribunal debugging (volunteer here).  Mostly playable, but you will encounter bugs.

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »
I never tried Morroblivion because of the bugs and the fact that there were no quests, but now apparently the have the MQ and Guild quests and most other stuff going. But I still haven't bothered with it. Why should I? Graphics? MW looks damn good to me now, with the Overhaul and all the junk I've put into it. Combat? I don't care. OB combat is better than MW's, but fighting isn't important to me. Magic? I liked that in OB you can cast with your weapon drawn, whereas in MW you had to sheath and it was a pain is the ass. But now, with the Morrwind Code Patch, MW has OB style casting. So there.
  And Morrowind is fucking gorgeous, modded all to hell like my install is. MW is still by far the best of the ES games as far as I'm concerned. That's the reason people go through all that (to me wasted) effort to remake Morrowind in other engines. It's a better game. It works nicely for Half-Life (love Black Mesa  :lol: ), but for MW it's pointless.
  I've been playing nothing but Morrowind for the past couple of months, only just now taking a Black Mesa break.* What with LGNPC and other content mods I have in there I've barely scratched the surface of what there is to do. I even keep discovering new places, after all these years.

Yep.

* I almost wrote "BM break", but back when I was a health care worker "BM" was the patient chart abbreviation for...well, you know...
Tiens, voilĂ  du boudin...

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:19:58 AM »
And Morrowind is fucking gorgeous

True but that's because you didn't play Skyrim. Graphically speaking, I never held Oblivion has being an improvement over Morrowind (for one the water was all wrong compared to MW and some other features looked liked issued from a cartoon) but Skyrim is another thing. There's desktop wallpaper material just about everywhere you point the camera... that is, if you have the computer to run it right of course. Sometimes I find myself contemplating some vistas quite much longer than I should and I actually have a few wallpapers that are just Skyrim landscape screenshots, not even reworked.

Now, if you're talking about quests, then I have to agree, Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon remains the best ES game ever, hands down. But that was in another era, an era when developers had time to develop their games and when publishers didn't try to f... their customers over money with every damn release.

Only real problem with skyrim (landscape speaking) is if you don't like snowflakes, snow storms, snow cliffs, snow crevices, other snowy things and stuff, the occasional iceberg and a lot of mountains...   :lol:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline OrlopRat

• Hangar 16 Leftover
    • OrlopRat at Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 07:29:27 AM »
 I think my love of the graphics in my (heavily enhanced) Morrowind has to do with two things, diversity, in architecture and landscape, and it's actual lack of complete photorealism. Maybe it's the artist in me, I don't know, but I'm a person who likes a painting that looks like a painting. If I want to see a photo, I'll look at a photo, or I'll turn my head a few degrees away from the monitor. :lol: It adds to the fantasy element and immersion, to me at least. A WW2 or something game would be a different matter, there it's fine, the more realistic the better. I think the graphics of Oblivion could have had the same magical effect, possibly greater, but Beth dropped the ball in the creativity department there.

Another thing I've noticed is that OB modding has hit a wall since the release of Skyrim. It's all anime outfits, houses, and minor tweaks now, whereas Morrowind modding is going full blast, with all kinds of stuff going on, and big projects being worked on and (gasp) even completed.

Although maybe it's just that I'm not crazy about rocks and snow. :xrolleyes: And "Dovahkiin" sounds funny.... :purplelaugh:
Tiens, voilĂ  du boudin...

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:56:29 AM »
Morrowind was supposed to be a stark, alien landscape; Skyrim was supposed to be a harsh, beautiful landscape. At this they succeeded. Oblivion, however...well. Cyrodiil, according to lore, is supposed to be a rainforest, or at least a jungle. But it isn't. It's so very not. Any why is that? Because they were having enough problems with the scrawny forests they had, let alone trying to render a dense jungle environment. At least, I had hopes of sneaking through dense foliage, bitching about how loud those blasted drums are, then bitching that it's too quiet when they stop.  :lol:

As for modding, Skyrim's not exactly a bounty of impressive mods. Most of what I've run across are alleged "retextures" that suck, tiresome recycling of Witcher 2 armors, companion mods, allegedly "high-res" retextures of everything (including the goddamn butterflies), more companion mods, beauty mods, body mods, mods of existing body mods featuring, more ENB settings than you can angrily wave a middle finger at, anime shit, house mods, bug fixes, vampire overhauls, vampire eye fixes, vampire this, that, and so on and so on into an infinity of brain-damaged mediocrity.

I look forward to the next TES game's mods, which will be nothing more than ENB settings, retextures, anime clothing ported from Skyrim (which was in turn ported from Oblivion), and retextures of ported anime clothing. I weep for the future.

(Additionally: for some reason, I kept hearing the Skyrim main theme song as "Badabing, badaboom...")
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.