Author Topic: Disney takes reins from George Lucas  (Read 2173 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Disney takes reins from George Lucas
« on: October 31, 2012, 06:49:17 AM »
It's all over the news, but Disney has acquired LucasFilm and all it's associated brands and properties, including Star Wars and Indiana Jones. They also are promising a new Star Wars 7 film in 2015, followed bi-annually by new films.

Finally, someone wrests Lucas' maniacal control away from the franchise that he slowly killed with the "prequel" trilogy, as well as all the overdubs to the original trilogy. What and where that takes us in film 7, no one knows, but it's certainly exciting.

And based on how Disney has allowed Marvel to flourish, hopefully that's a good indicator of how they would allow the Star Wars properties to go the right direction. Exciting news indeed!  :onethumb:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Disney takes reins from George Lucas
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 08:38:48 AM »
Upside: new movies, most likely improved writing (esp. dialog), etc.

Downside: Darth Miley.

EDIT: Then again, maybe it won't be so bad.

Although I'm intrigued by either how well or how badly this will all turn out, I look forward to a special edition that fundamentally remakes eps 1 through 3 so as to not suck.

Random suggestions follow:

CGI out that Anakin kid, CGI in a kid who can act. Replace Natalie Portman with someone I don't want to punch in the face.** Keep Darth Maul alive longer, at least through the third frickin' movie rather than a stupid joke at the end of the first. Ewoks no more. Make R2D2's abilities more consistent (1-3: multi-purpose droid; 4-6: slightly mobile trash can). And for God's sake, if you're going to show the Ghosts Of Jedis Past at the end of ROTJ, at least make them all either old or young.  :ss-disbelief
[** I suggest Sofia Vergara.]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:06:38 AM by Silver Sorrow »
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »
[** I suggest Sofia Vergara.]
For a lot of things, most of them involving a distinct lack of clothing. :bigblinky:

There may be another downside to this- that is, if you're into a particular sort of thing known as "Star Wars fan films". Lucasfilm was perfectly okay with people using the franchise for their own videos; Disney is... somewhat less open to such blatant "copyright violations". (Their next move: Extend copyright law so that Mickey Mouse evades public domain until the heat-death of the universe.)

On the upside, while I was no fan of Tron: Legacy,  even Uncanny Valley Jeff Bridges was more lifelike than Hayden Christensen. :tongue2:
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »
Silver --> Still full Genesis I see  :funup: :ok:

Frankly I'm not sure how to take the news. The only guy probably wholly satisfied is Lucas... I wouldn't mind grabbing a 4 billions dollars check either.

Lucasfilm was perfectly okay with people using the franchise for their own videos;

Their own videos, maybe, but I remember a Star Wars related Half-Life mod that was killed during its development due to threats from Lucas' lawyers... So I'm not so sure as far as gaming go that anything will be gain or lost with the change of management.

Plus, Star Wars was originally a big saga spanning 9 movies. As the story goes Ep. 4 was done first because it was supposed to be the most epic and that the Fox didn't want to invest money into more than 1 movie (producing a thing like Star Wars was seen as a very risky venture back in the 70s). So normally Ep. 7, 8 and 9 already exist at least on paper. Of course now that Disney's in charge they can scrap it all and rewrite everything... why not.

I agree though... the casting for Ep. 1 to 3 mostly sucked...

Let's hope in any case that the movie industry is not completely akin to the video gaming industry... Remember Bioware being bought by Electronic Arts... Look where that got them. And Bioware's just an example, sadly not the only one.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:19:52 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 06:18:36 AM »
Well, if you need any confirmation that Disney can leave well enough alone, look no further than the Marvel movie universe. They allowed Marvel to continue their slow, expository individual pieces that led up to the larger Avengers movie, which is now the 3rd highest grossing movie in history, more than 1 Billion and counting. That says a lot to me -- that they're willing to cede authority and resources to get the job done right.

And as far as I'm concerned, Lucas lost his Star Wars touch with Return of the Jedi, dumbing down the franchise significantly with the Ewoks. Then his turn with the prequel movies just proved that he was more interested in CGI explosions and backdrops at the expense of story, dialogue and character. And then look what he did with the 4th Indiana Jones movie, which was considered the worst of those movies for so many reasons. So removing these franchises from his grubby little paws is all to the better, in my opinion.

And yes, more Sofia Vergara!

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:26:01 AM »
Silver --> Still full Genesis I see  :funup: :ok:

Yeah...it just seems to fit, y'know?  ;D

As for casting, I'm convinced that all the Empire needs is Ms. Vergara as their symbol so as to totally dominate everything everywhere. Someone you can get behind. In front of. Wherever she wants. For example, stylistically, she's far more convincing than a whiny asthmatic in a black plastic suit. In fact, I definitely hear the Empire theme...but slower, smoother, with a lot of bass. Maybe slap a smoky sax over her entrances...

While I'm in full perv mode, I say that if they involve Princess Leia in any of the movies, the actress (or the CGI) must look EXACTLY like Carrie Fisher (young Carrie...YOUNG Carrie!), or I'm gonna burn down that fucking magic castle.

Okay. I'm sure that I need help, but who can afford it?

Anyway, it's like what happened with Gene Roddenberry: time to take the toy away from its creator, as the clown clearly has no idea what to do with it anymore.

As an aside, I have to agree with ROTJ: after ESB, the bar was somewhat high, but...I don't have enough time to list every issue I had with ROTJ, but I will give an example: Mark Hammill didn't exactly strike me as an impressive figure. He could say he's a Jedi Knight all day long, but I'm not buying it. But there's no (or very few) Jedi around to dispute his claim, so he could say anything he wanted. "Yes, the Jedi used to fall down a lot, too. It's a THING, goddammit."

I'm not really down on the guy, it's just that as they were escaping from Jabba, Luke turns and says, with a slight lisp, "Let'th go...and don't forget the droidth." And then there's his complete lack of a boner in connection with Slave Outfit Leia, but I'll let that one go. For now.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline bobdog

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »
I would come back 25 yrs later .... Luke has now trained up a number of new Jedi, including the teen twins of Leia and Han, and one of them is on the path to darkness. Bam, done. You got conflict, personal relationships, etc. And you don't have to change the trio that much - maybe you show Leia's face only in a hologram and Han Solo is out w/Chewie getting crazy, so he doesn't need to show up much or at all.