Author Topic: Dragonborn With A Twist  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Dragonborn With A Twist
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »
So not only has Dragonborn been released on Steam, Bethsda has also updated the High Res Texture Pack.

I haven't started Dragonborn yet, really; I want to get my current character trained in various shouts before I go. If this means that I have to use player.teachword __shout hex id___ in order to fully learn several shouts that the devs stupidly made available only through following specific faction questlines I have zero interest in following, then so be it.

As for the HR Texture packs...well. I still can't run them, even though I have a much better video card now (GTX 650 Ti, 2gb). See, it's better than my 250, but it still needs a lot of RAM to be effective. I'm waiting on an upgrade to Win7 (or even Win8...god help me) for this to really work, so until then I'm pretty much hosed.

Still, I'm willing to note that, quote, "the update adds improved textures for Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and the newly-released Dragonborn."

The update's almost 5gb in size, so good luck with that. ::)

So...almost ready for Solstheim.
I had an ancestor who went to Solstheim. Terrible place, she said. But she didn't have big-ass buckles and little silver buttons all over her armor.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Dragonborn With A Twist
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:53:39 AM »
I didn't start Dragonborn either but obviously I got the updated textures (if you downloaded the HD texture pack before, you don't really have a choice, they force the update without notice or info which gives a lot of surprised people puzzled by the 1.5 GB that is downloading when they didn't request anything). Anyway, the HD pack does indeed pump up the Dawnguard textures and some others. I don't know if they fixed the missing texture bug -- I have to find the nearest tree stump for that (I think there's one in Markharth)... Yep, just checked it, they fixed it, finally -- it only took a year or so  ::)

I'm waiting on an upgrade to Win7 (or even Win8...god help me)

I don't know about Win 8. I think I'll stay on Win 7 until the next OS (Win 9 or whatever) comes out. Right now I have a good Win 7 setup and -- that's the most important part -- I know that all my old games run on it. Win 8... one never knows with a new OS. I made the switch from XP to Vista because XP was getting too old and less and less supported then from Vista to 7 because it was really necessary (Vista was a resource hog and much less friendly to old games than Win 7) but right now I fail to see the real need to go to Win 8. Except probably for those who like Tablet PC because there's a whole dedicated interface for them...

However I don't mind if you play the guinea pig in the near future...  ;D Just let me know how Thief Gold and TMA are faring (among others)

The update's almost 5gb in size, so good luck with that. ::)

Only 1.5 GB if you already have the old HD pack installed. It just adds a third bsa in this case. 5 GB is for a first download but yep... ouch  :purplelaugh:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:22:36 AM »
OK so a word of advice... Don't use the "Black Book" a second time if you're not ready to defeat the big villain. For some reason, players are allowed to get there very early in the game (just after having used the book a first time) and then find themselves hopelessly stuck because doors are closing, they can't get out and they don't have what is needed to win (and anyway the proper script for the battle doesn't even trigger). Why did they allowed non-ready players to get there is a wonder (they closed so many places in the vanilla Skyrim, you'd think they could have done the same here). I found myself in there for 15 minutes without finding a way out and completely bored I searched the web for an answer just to find out that I shouldn't be there that early in the DLC so I was screwed. Had to use the coc command to get out of here back to Windhelm docks "coc WindhelmDocksExterior01" then go back again to Solstheim... Ridiculous.

Since you're not even supposed to get to Apocrypha at all before the end of the DLC, why do they allow to use the book to get there way before?!!

Still amazed they overlooked that one. Where's the beta testing? What was the point of delaying the PC version two months if it wasn't to fix the damn bugs (this bug was already in the Xbox version so they had 2 months to get rid of it for the PC release)?!! What did they do during those two months? Play cards?

Not only that but it almost completely ruined the DLC for me as I was forced to read all I never wanted to know about beating the main quest in search of a solution to the stupid thing. Now I'm not even one third into it and I already know how to beat it.

Of all the idiotic bugs Bethesda came with through the year that one certainly deserves the gold medal (not platinum, there are one or two bugs even worse than that in the whole TES series and Fallout 3)

::)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:27:25 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 10:25:32 AM »
Still amazed they overlooked that one. Where's the beta testing?
Forget it, Jake Starfox. It's Chinatown Bethesda. :biglaugh:

I'm not sure I'm gonna even bother with this one (I didn't even give Dawnguard a second glance). I'll just wait for the far superior player-made quests to come out.
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 02:24:07 PM »
I'm not sure I'm gonna even bother with this one (I didn't even give Dawnguard a second glance).

It has nothing to do with Dawnguard. The scope is bigger and more complex. And there are little tidbits here and there that bring back memories for those who played Bloodmoon back then. What they attempted to do is to bring both Solstheim and Vvardenfel in one package. South is Vvardenfel like and populated by House Redoran (who migrated here when the Empire retreated and the Vvardenfel Volcano erupted -- constant Red Mountain eruptions explain why the south of the isle came to lose its frosty climate to become more like a little piece of Vvardenfel (more precisely the Ashlands). Then the North is more like normal Soltheim with notably the Skaals, Rieklings and so on.

It's good stuff... If it wasn't for the damn bug in those damn books. Oh, yeah, because there are several of those books, some of them you HAVE to use during the main quest, and they are all buggy in the same way. Funny thing is, a lot of people complain because of that bug but at the same time other people seem to not experience the problem. So this is apparently one of those random bugs that pop up for half of the people because an unknown condition is met while they do not trigger with the other half... you gotta love those; they're so bitchy to track down.

If I'm so upset it's because: they delayed two months, they charge half the price of the vanilla game and for that price they didn't even bother removing the bugs.  That's SO Bethesda-like, a pity.

I would however definitely recommend it... Once the price has dropped and the bugs are fixed.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
I hope the next TES game doesn't have mountains...or, at least, not so many. Everything...EVERYTHING...is always on the other side of a well-nigh unclimbable chunk of rock that reaches into outer freaking space. So you go around it, hit the twelve or so barrows huddled around it, and before you know it...you're miles away from where you intended to go in the first place.

Thankfully, there are so few places to visit in Solstheim that being distracted by the landscape is not as big a deal as I'd feared.  ::)

So...it's a lot more...well...mountain-y than Bloodmoon, but at least it has some of those damned ubiquitous Dwemer ruins that make the regular game so wait just a damn minute did I just mention DWEMER RUINS!??

Unfortunately, I did. Now, I don't recall any in Bloodmoon, but hell...okay, look at the Morrowind/Solstheim map here and the IGN map here (which is nowhere as good as the UESP map). There are a lot of places that may be familiar, but there are some missing.

Okay, yes: I get that Red Mountain did a St. Helens and changed the landscape, but still...since when does something like that make entire barrows not only disappear entirely, but also change the remaining dungeons' fundamental layous...AND uncover a couple of Dwemer ruins in the process?

Fine. Okay. Whatever. Still, if you don't pay attention to such minor issues (...rattin-frattin...) you'll most likely enjoy the crap out of Dragonborn for various reasons. And...wait. Didn't I buy a bunch of sload soap for that one guy? You know who I mean. Probably.

I had a few bugs, all of them annoying, but by virtue of being utterly terrified of screwing up any of the quests, I only *gingerly* explored, as opposed to my usual habit of running headlong into the nearest deep dark cave with blood spewing out of its entrance.** Therefore I avoided the worst bugs -- I still insist that Bethesda's QA department is staffed by drooling retard crack-monkeys -- and robbed myself of the most imnportant part of the TES experience: discovery.
[** I just realized...that could be a metaphor for something else. That wasn't my intent. Sorry for the imagery.]

Skyrim's like that, though; the player is so damned terrified of screwing up some possibly important quest that it's easier to just mill about outside the various ruins, killing wolves. Or wander into a town, master Smithing, level up a dozen times, wander back outside, and get slaughtered by bandits because you don't have any weapons skills to speak of. But *boy* can you make a set of Steel boots!

So. This is Apocrypha. It's very green, isn't it?

One of these things is not like the other...

Screens that have nothing to do with Dragonborn:

No, not that hot. But if it was summer, then...woo. You couldn't imagine the smell.

I just liked the look on her face. She's stabbing someone with both daggers, as far as I can tell.

I like to pretend that my victims are Jehovah's Witnesses.

Btw, if you were somewhat...uh...surprised by the waves on Solstheim's shores (I was more startled than surprised, really), then you might look into the latest version of W.A.T.E.R., which adds the same effect to Skyrim's shores.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:19:31 AM »
Fine. Okay. Whatever. Still, if you don't pay attention to such minor issues (...rattin-frattin...) you'll most likely enjoy the crap out of Dragonborn for various reasons. And...wait. Didn't I buy a bunch of sload soap for that one guy? You know who I mean. Probably.

Yeah... Although the fact that this dear Neloth has the voice of Bodhan in Dragon Age: Origin and 2 is a bit unsettling to me... I picture him as a dwarf for some reason  :purplelaugh:

I'm in the process of replaying Morrowind to see the differences, but it's on and off and I got sucked up in the Nerevarine stuff so I'm far for Solstheim still...