Author Topic: Thief 4  (Read 7402 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Thief 4
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 05:41:47 PM »
Thief will have an inevitable comparison to Dishonored

Justified... considering the above trailer. Eidos took the original story of Thief and twisted it to do a "reboot" and what did they end up with? A pamphlet about human condition which also features a plague. Dishonored both features the human condition pamphlet AND the plague. Problem is, Dishonored was released more than a year before Thief 4 (sorry but It will be a very long time before I call it Thief -- mostly because we all know that it's common marketing crap, capitalizing on a well established title and on the confusion that ensues between the old and the new; maybe if they call it "Thief Reloaded" and maybe not even then) and so yeah, I can see where the comparison is stemming from and why it worries Eidos.

But ultimately if Thief 4 fails it won't be because of Dishonored  or any comparison justified or not people do between both, it will be because it's possible inability to achieve the same level of quality -- gameplay and story wise -- as Thief. But sure, only future will tell. maybe I'm all wrong...

Still, I won't be calling that "Thief" and that's pretty much final.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »
In case you're the extremely impatient sort, the new Thief game is now up for preorder on Steam. Yep. Five months early. What do you get for preordering? One extra mission.

Oh, but don't overlook the Master Thief edition for three dollars more! That gets you a digital art book, a digital comic book, the soundtrack and a "booster pack" of extra items to use in-game.

This isn't a good sign, is it? :realconfused:
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline bobdog

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 11:16:09 PM »
If it means more people purchase Thief and make it a viable franchise, I'm for it. On the flipside, I hope the gameplay is not dumbed down so significantly to accommodate the COD twitcher crowd that we can't play it like we did in the past, with ghosting options, etc. I want to be able to complete a mission without killing anyone, or ideally even having to knock them out.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:17 PM »
First, the good news: a new trailer for Thief has dropped, and it looks mighty impressive if nothing else.

Now to the bad news (emphasis added):

Quote from: Stephane Roy, Eidos Montreal
When we talk about freedom it's about how you play, whether you are going to do everything using stealth or other means.  It's not about having ten different routes so much as having different ways to overcome obstacles.

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but the implied linearity of that statement makes me extremely nervous.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 06:41:54 AM »
I read something on IGN where the person got to play through an early level. He loved some elements, like when he was given a new optional side-quest to go rob another guy, complete with some hefty stealth objectives like not being seen and no knock-outs or deaths. But the reviewer feels like, at least to where he played, the dialogue and voice-acting are a letdown from what we've come to expect from Thief.

Regardless, he said he's cautiously optimistic and thinks the game can bring the majority of the Thief "feel" back.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »
So to feed a little more the Thief "4" thread, the latest news is that the XP system that was depicted in a video some months ago and worried a number of us was dropped by Eidos and the fans claiming that "this is not thief, we don't want it!" had something to do with it. Of course Eidos explains that in fancier words. They want to properly put the reward for the players on the amount of loot stolen and not on the way it is stolen. Beside as they point it themselves, Garrett is already the master thief so what's the point in XP? XP is for rookies as I do say so myself (well, when I'm not playing RPGs  :lol: )

Anyway, the whole explanation there.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein