Author Topic: Nearing the end of Skyrim gameplay ...  (Read 2551 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Nearing the end of Skyrim gameplay ...
« on: April 24, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
... and I wanted any last suggestions before I shut it down completely. Unlike some of the lacking-a-real-life idiots completionists  :turnhappy: on these esteemed forums, I've got other games in my queue to play, rather than spending a full year in doing every single quest and exploring every single dungeon/cave/ruin.

So my question is: what do I absolutely NOT want to miss before uninstalling the game? Here's what I have done:
  • played through Main Quest
  • played through main points of Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Mages Guild, Companions, but have skipped all the additional fetch quests offered
  • played through the main points of the Dawnguard add-on as a vampire-hunter (being a vampire didn't interest me)
  • played through the main points of the Dragonborn add-on and visited every location in Solstheim
  • played through all the Dwemer ruins
I did NOT go through the Civil War quests, as I don't really care who wins, and neither path really affected what I was able to do as an adventurer. I also didn't kill a certain dragon as part of the Blades questline. And I'm not really interested in any of the bazillion mods out there.

So, are there any quests or dungeons that I really, REALLY need to play through? If not, I already feel like I've gotten a great, lengthy experience with the game and I can leave with no regrets.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Nearing the end of Skyrim gameplay ...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:53:03 PM »
The daedra quests? You at least completed one of them as otherwise you wouldn't have been able to finish the Thief Guild quest line but all the others are optional.

The problem of the Thief Guild is that you can finish the quests without becoming Guildmaster as it requires more work to be done... However most of the work to become Guildmaster is really really boring but  there are 4 specials jobs to accomplish that are rather interesting. Unfortunately there's no way to get  to the specials jobs without going through the boring stuff first.

Potema's quests (both of them) may be interesting if you didn't do them but that's a matter of personal taste. The second quest give you access to an area of Solitude underground otherwise inaccessible.

Also personal taste, Katria's quest that is included with Dawnguard and may be easily missed if you never bother to read the book Aetherium Wars (or to act on it). But I guess if you say that you went through ALL the Dwemer ruins that includes Katria's quest... As well as the vanilla quest linked to the lexicon an Argonian gives you in Riften (without this Argonian you cannot access the ruin because the entry simply do not seem to exist and is only revealed when you accept the quest).

You definitely can stay away from the Civil War quests as they a) are utterly boring and b) don't put anything on the table aside from being able to acquire the house in Windhelm (whatever side you're fighting for) and giving you access to a location that is otherwise locked out.

Otherwise you can call it a day. Once you're done with the MQ and the Guild quests, most of the rest is for exploration pleasure only.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »
I know that this is, essentially, a sort of weary editorial, but I apologize for nothing.  :lol:  I recommend following Starfox's advice and ignoring this post completely  Thank you for your support.  :ss-fonzie

The problem with competionism is that in Skyrim's case, it's boring. Additionally, I found may of the faction quest lines to be somewhat lacking; the Dark Brotherhood, for example, is nowhere as dark or compelling as it was in Oblivion. Damnably, it really isn't all that interesting, which is a mortal sin of gaming. I find it more fun to go through the "destroy the Dark Brotherhood" alternate quest, if only to get those random assassins from attacking me in the middle of nowhere.

The Thieves Guild was bizarre. The devs wanted you to join the faction so badly that you're pretty much inducted into the Guild as soon as you wander into the Riften marketplace. (Most likely it's their pissed off reaction to all the morons asking how you join the Guild in Oblivion.) It would have been far more fun if it weren't for all of the stupid boring awful filler quests that muck up the whole thing.

The Companions, by contrast: I join, ba-da-bing ba-da-boom, I'm the head of the whole thing. Thre is no natural progression, no earning your your place in the group. The only good thing about it being able to tear through the countryside as a werewolf...which gets boring pretty quick, and you then you go back to being pulled this way and that by the various political struggles.

I hated the Civil War questlines, as there was truly no clear winner to the whole thing: no matter what, the Thalmor benefit. :P

Dragonborn was...ultimately diappointing. Sure, you get to visit Solstheim again, but you end up becoming Hermaeus Mora's pawn no matter what you do. :ss-cthulhu  I didn't like that.

I also recommend avoiding the radiant quests -- as given by factions that are done with your services -- as they're pretty much "go to ______ and kill ________ for me, kthxbai."

Mods: There aren't really that many mods out there designed to extend gameplay; rather, they just enhance it. (Mostly because creating a story-driven adventure is a monumental chore involving custom voice work, for example.) So browsing through mods is like shopping for car accessories: it doesn't matter what color your floormats are, but it kind of makes you feel more in control of your destiny, illusory as that may be.

It's sad, as Morrowind had some spectacular quest mods...while Oblivion had far less. (The voice acting thing. Plus, most in the community were drooling morons. Skyrim's fans are even worse.)

Anyway. Most of your mod experience will be sifting through random crap consisting of allegedly "hi-res" textures, custom followers, exceedingly minor tweaks, 900 different female body mods**, and other stupid senseless garbage. So besides the .001% of useful mods out there, you're probably better off not even bothering. I have my own mod I'm finishing up, but since it's just my typically brain-damaged recolorings, even I'm not enthused.  :lol:

[** One body mod I found intriguing, in a "I don't want to play this game anymore" way is the CNHF mod; its goal is to "make a female body that looks like it could run a few miles in the snow, bury an axe in several skulls, climb 7,000 steps, hack a dragon to death, build a house, take down a vampire lord, and knock back a few flagons of mead before bedding a lover, passing out and doing it all again tomorrow." Admirable, yes. I like that they've taken to converting the *male* armor to the female shape, as it does look better most of the time. But I found it somewhat odd that they're doggedly insistent on making a transgendered version. Yes, they like running around looking like a chick but with the convenience of being able to pee standing up. I'm not judging them, no...but I will say that it seems terribly...uh...inefficient. As any of my Khovians will tell you, a smart warrior keeps her genitals on the inside;D]
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
I think you both just wrote my mini-review!  :lol:

I have accomplished all of what Starfox recommends. Actually, my fav quest in the whole game was Katria's Dwemer quests. I thought the first ruin you met her in was absolutely fascinating, and loved the design elements in it. Most of the Dwemer ruins were really cool, and the underground cavern ecosystem of *I think* Blackwater Reach was really neat.

But all the dink sidequests are absolute rubbish and really are "go here, kill/steal/manipulate that".

So I think with this knowledge, I can bid adieu to Skyrim without feeling like I've absolutely missed something critical. Thanks for both your thoughts!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »
But all the dink sidequests are absolute rubbish and really are "go here, kill/steal/manipulate that".

Those are the so called "Radiant" quests, quests that are generated on the fly by the Radiant system. Bethesda thought it was a neat idea to generate random quests without having to actually *work* to create them. But in the end they mostly suck because after a while it's just more of the same thing. But it serves a purpose, to show the difference between an idiotic random system and a lovingly manually crafted quest like say, Katria's...  :lol:

Blackwater Reach

Blackreach? There's a lot of water in there but not in the name :purplelaugh: I agree it's one of the most fascinating places in Skyrim (plus you find an old friend... in bad shape but still  ;D ). My favorite with the dwemer ruins. And yes, the first place where one meet Katria was quite inetresting but that applies to most of the dwemer ruins; though it's true that the first and last ruins in Katria's quest line have a special touch. The crypts are another kind of interesting but maybe that's just me  :hammerhead:

Dragonborn was...ultimately diappointing.

Curiously I didn't have a real problem with it... (other than the black books bug I experienced and the fact that dwemer ruins sprout all other the place inexplicably -- it's the inexplicable sprouting I have a problem with, not the ruins). Otherwise it was a nice attempt partly successful to bring back a little bit of Morrowind into the fray.

And Serana, the best follower in a Bethesda game to date. There is better yet in another game I just finished playing, Bioshock Infinite (your sidekick is quite the lively follower and I think Bethesda should get inspired for their next title) unfortunately, this is also one of the *too* few brilliant things about Bioshock Infinite, but that's another discussion entirely.

Anyway, now that Bethesda officially announced that they were done with Skyrim (some more patches maybe because it still need fixing) I just wonder what will be next... possibly Fallout 4 (or rather 5). Too early for TES 6.

Still, there's some unexpected fun to be had with Skyrim. Like last time, I was in the reach with Serana when a dragon attacked and you know, she still has the habit to resurrect a corpse if any is nearby at the beginning of a fight. So there I was preparing myself for the fight, I hear "I knew I heard something" and the familiar "clung" (that's the sound of the reanimation spell, approximately). A second later I saw that she resurrected... a chicken  :lol: Goddamn, girl, we just dispatched a few Forsworns and the only thing you care resurrecting to fight a dragon is... a chicken? No so surprisingly, it appears that a chicken is not that good in a fight  :purplelaugh: A bit earlier she had reanimated a goat... I wonder what's with the animal fetish?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:31:07 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:19:57 AM »
In one case, the Night Mother assigned me to kill a fishwife in Riften. And then she assigned the exact same kill the next time!  :hammerhead:

I will say that the dungeons/ruins were a vast improvement design-wise over the copy/paste of previous games, so it felt like each one was hand-crafted, even if the quests themselves weren't.

Yes, Serena was a pretty cool companion, and the vampire castle was nicely designed. But I primarily stuck with Faendal, the first wood elf you meet in the first village you go to. He was pretty handy with his bow (crossbow, after I upgraded both of us about halfway in). I'd keep leaving him behind because he couldn't climb ridges like I could, and then he'd just kind of pop into a dungeon -- a lot of times I would accidentally shoot him because I didn't know it was him! But he forgave me after I healed him up and got him back on his feet. But boy was he an idiot around those traps -- WHAM!! stumble stumble crawl....

::)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:45:29 PM »
I will say that the dungeons/ruins were a vast improvement design-wise over the copy/paste of previous games, so it felt like each one was hand-crafted, even if the quests themselves weren't.

This is the area where Skyrim truly shines. There's not one area or dungeon that is nearly identical to another. I never get lost in Skyrim because there's always a distinctiveness to the locations that allow me to build a mental map. When I replayed Oblivion a few months ago, I realize that all the caves were nearly the same. Applies to the forts too. And it shows. I spend a great deal of time lost in some caves because I simply couldn't find a distinct features to build a map with. I never have this problem with Skyrim.

Plus graphically Skyrim is superb. Well the vanilla characters may suck at time but nobody's perfect. When you play a title like Dishonored you realize how good Skyrim graphics are  :lol:

everything