Author Topic: Any games you're interested in from E3?  (Read 2263 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Any games you're interested in from E3?
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:40:39 AM »
With all the E3 hoopla surrounding us this week, are there any games that you're looking forward to? I admit that the Thief reboot looks great and feels Thief-y from the gameplay I've seen. And of course Mirror's Edge 2 has my high hopes.

I do wish we PC-ers could get some of the console exclusives, like The Last of Us, but maybe in time....

What about you?

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Re: Any games you're interested in from E3?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:34:03 AM »
Well, from what we've seen thus far...

Games I'm In All Likelihood Getting:
Batman: Arkham Origins
Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
inFAMOUS: Second Son
Thief

Games I'm Considering:
Dying Light
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Mirror's Edge 2

Honorable Mentions:
Dead Rising 3 (not getting an Xbox One, but this looks like the best game they've on offer)
Rain (don't really do downloadable titles, but this definitely looks interesting)

And, while not an E3 game, I too am interested in The Last of Us.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »
Very few I'm afraid. I keep an eye on Thief (4  :evil1:); although I'm still uneasy about it I really, really do hope that I'm completely and utterly wrong in my assumptions.

The Witcher 3, of course since I loved the two previous ones (and that CD Projekt as a developer/publisher follows a philosophy that I strongly support).

The others, either I'm really not interested in them or I have yet to give them a thought.

Not interested: Mirror's Edge 2 and Assassin Creed IV. The first Mirror's Edge and the second Assassin Creed are some of the only games that successfully managed to bore me to death about an hour into them, up to the point that I never finished any of the two which all things considered is rather rare coming from me. But it's all a matter of taste, I remember that I was not all too fond of the first AC either (even though I finished that one).

A game that managed to intrigue me is The Order: 1886 (because I love alternate timelines), but alas it's a PS4 exclusive.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline The Rogue Wolf

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
About the only one that really caught my eye was the Mirror's Edge prequel. MAYBE Watch Dogs. I'm not liking what I'm seeing of the Thief reboot, to be perfectly honest, but I'm withholding full judgement until I see actual gameplay footage.

There was also Titanfall, which looks like Firefall and Brink had a baby and asked Hawken to be the godfather. It just looks too much like it inherited the worst of all those games to really interest me.
"Choice one: we flank them using what military men called tactics, and what religious men call divine inspiration. Or, we charge at them head on screaming various obscenities, in what military men call bravery and religious men also call divine inspiration."

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 05:36:45 PM »
Aside from "Thi4f" -- yes, they actually used that at some point -- I don't see a lot that would interest me. But keep in mind that I'm dead inside, which probably colors my perceptions.

Mirror's Edge 2 *sounds* interesting, but it's been described as an "open world" game, which translates thusly: "we can't be bothered to come up with ingenious alternate ways for you to progress through puzzles, so we're leaving it up to you." If Todd Howard was project lead, we'd probably see a comment along the lines of "see that building over there? You can go there!"

Witcher 3 is intriguing, although I haven't even gotten out of the opening courtyard of the first game yet. Why? Because my computer doesn't like the game for some reason (don't ask me why, because I. DON'T. KNOW.) and I'm waiting on an OS & RAM upgrade before I really dive into it. :ss-shootme

Similarly, I also never finished the first Assassin's Creed, but for completely different reasons.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »
Witcher 3 is intriguing, although I haven't even gotten out of the opening courtyard of the first game yet. Why? Because my computer doesn't like the game for some reason (don't ask me why, because I. DON'T. KNOW.) and I'm waiting on an OS & RAM upgrade before I really dive into it. :ss-shootme

Wild guess: the first The Witcher was developed with Bioware Aurora 2007 as the engine (yep the same that powered Neverwinter Night 2) so the problem is likely there  ;D

There are locations where the game will crash (how much depends on your graphic card, the drivers installed -- The Witcher is utterly sensible to video drivers; with a same card and depending on the drivers used, the game may crash every 10 minutes or every two hours or not at all -- the amount of RAM... etc.).

Take solace in the fact that I never saw The Witcher 2 crashing once (at least on my computer).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 07:37:57 AM »
I'm going to give it another try this weekend. Sometimes I give up too easily...which is odd, considering that this is one the few hobbies I have left. :lol:

EDIT: Something interesting.

What Does an Open World Mean for The Witcher 3?

It means I'm going to buy the thing, I guess.  :ok:

(I'd like to see the videos, but gamespot videos don't work for me.  :redhot:)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:56:28 AM by Silver Sorrow »
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline bobdog

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:41:52 AM »
The opening is merely a training exercise and quickly gets more interesting. The biggest challenge with the first Witcher game is the timing of the sword slashes. You build combos by hitting the attack button at the right time, which extends your attack another couple of slashes. I "liked" the first game but LOVED the second, as they took away that need and really built an interesting world of politics and intrigue.