Author Topic: [Heavy Spoilers] Thief... the story.  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
[Heavy Spoilers] Thief... the story.
« on: March 01, 2014, 04:46:19 AM »
I was led to believe that Thief (4) story was a rewriting of the original Thief. After having played the first part of the game, I noticed some clues that tend to point out to a chronology that place the story of Thief (4) after the events of TDS. WARNING: the following contains heavy spoilers. To be safe you must have played the prologue, Chapter 1 and 2 of the game.

Spoiler
1) The most obvious: Erin. Considering the age, she could be the little girl seen at the end of TDS that Garrett took under his wing, about 10 to 12 years older (because she's obviously on the bad rebel side of her teenage years). Before the end of the prologue Garrett tells her "You're not ready yet". That's the words of someone acting as a mentor.

2) Basso seems to have gain in weight and became a fence. At one point, Garrett asks him about getting married and he answers: "Never again". As far as I know, Basso marriage was linked to Thief The Metal Age so obviously after the original Thief.

Somehow the whole story feels to me as a "ten years later" thing, in regard to TDS. There are dates (of the game world of course) mentioned in the newspapers but as far as I remember there was no date mentioned in any of the other Thief games so it's hard to judge based on that. And about dates I'm curious as to what "NRy" stands for.

However there are also some other things that seem to contradict that like:

Spoiler
The Clockwork Tower which stands tall in Stonemarket while by the end of TDS was ruined. Considering the construction difficulties of the era, restoring that piece of architecture in 10 years seems a daunting task. But it could be possible, I guess. Why Garrett would have make of it his headquarters is anyone's guess.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
Re: [Heavy Spoilers] Thief... the story.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 05:33:32 AM »
Ah Ah Ah... Forget everything I said above... I wrote that before I got a look to the comic book that explains who Erin really is and... that kinda sucks. I guess it would have been far more preferable for them to not issue a comic book and to let people guess. What's done is done.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »
Comic book?!?
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »
Yeah, that's what you get when you buy the so called "Master Thief Edition". An online comic book where Basso recounts the events that led to Erin meeting Garrett and so on. Let's say this comic book better arms you to understand the beginning of the game and some of the scenes within.